Choosing a school

hi everybody!
we are coming to Mauritius next year and I am still hesitating about the choice of school for my 9 year old son. he is currently educated in France, but he has some notions of English, we try to talk to him since very small but we are not bilingual .... I wish he could become bilingual but I am afraid of him destabilize by plunging totally into an English school, what do you think? my second question is which school do you recommend to me? Thank you in advance for your answers

Hi,

If you want your kid to be bilingual but want to go for a progressive approach, I would recommend you choose a school with a mixed based teaching medium approach. Most private school in Mauritius are either French language oriented or English language oriented but most have classes in both.

That said, it will also depend on what you want your kid to study later on for further studies and in which country. If you want him to be proficient mainly in English, then it will be better to opt for an English school. The first months will most probably be tricky but the coming years at secondary level will be enough time for your kid to master English while also doing some French classes.

Your choice of school will depend n a few factors - higher education later as I mentioned above. your budget, your location in Mauritius and the curriculum available in each school.
Le Bocage International School and St. Nicolas Grammar School are popular choices on the English side while Lycee de Mascareignes, Ecole du Centre and Lycee Labourdonnais are favourite picks for French based education.

thank you very much for all the informations!!