Menu
Expat.com

Internships

Last activity 15 January 2021 by Yakultr

Yakultr

Hi!

Currently I am studying BSc Cyber Security and I will be progressing to my second year, and with the degree course now online I have been considering internships.

Could anyone advise where I can located and apply for internships WITHOUT having to pay a company $2,000+ for what seems to be a very short 8 week or so internship?

Recommendations, introductions, networking advice would all be great!

Ideally the internship will be focused on Cyber Security, Networking, or I could consider any IT placement.

- English Native.
- 3 Year Degree from the UK, Scotland.
- Preferably a paid internship, £400+ per month.

OceanBeach92107
Yakultr wrote:

Hi!

Currently I am studying BSc Cyber Security and I will be progressing to my second year, and with the degree course now online I have been considering internships.

Could anyone advise where I can located and apply for internships WITHOUT having to pay a company $2,000+ for what seems to be a very short 8 week or so internship?

Recommendations, introductions, networking advice would all be great!

Ideally the internship will be focused on Cyber Security, Networking, or I could consider any IT placement.

- English Native.
- 3 Year Degree from the UK, Scotland.
- Preferably a paid internship, £400+ per month.

I just went back and read all of your Forum posts and took note of your expat experience listed, as far as where you've been living.

It appears you are not yet living in Vietnam.

So perhaps you have not been reading the Forum and you are not aware that the borders here are closed and they had been closed for the better part of a year now.

There are a few exceptions for people who can enter the country now, however the government has been also limiting incoming commercial aircraft.

The cost that you are quoting is about what is being quoted to anyone who is coming here as a requested expert in their field.

So if by some unknown means you are able to find a company which is going to offer you an internship, and they are going to accomplish the paperwork with the government to authorize you coming here to do an internship at this time, you are probably going to be paying at least $2,000 just for related fees and quarantine expenses.

Again, I'm basing that on some things that have already been posted here by experts who have been brought to Vietnam recently for work.

Some of the cost is probably being paid to an agent or middle-man who's making money finding people such as yourself.

Unfortunately, now that we are talking about this, there is certain to be a response from a bot.

Good luck sifting through the bots and the scam artists to find a genuine offer for an internship--let alone a paid internship--in Vietnam at this time.

Ciambella
Yakultr wrote:

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

So if by some unknown means you are able to find a company which is going to offer you an internship, and they are going to accomplish the paperwork with the government to authorize you coming here to do an internship at this time, you are probably going to be paying at least $2,000 just for related fees and quarantine expenses.

I know the officially unofficial current cost (as of yesterday) to enter Vietnam LEGALLY (the entrance is approved by the government).

The cost consists of a guaranteed ONE WAY ticket from approved airports in North America (sorry I didn't think of asking about Europe) on Vietnam Airlines and its partners, room and board for the 14 day quarantine in a hotel either in Hanoi or Saigon (depending on the flight), Covid tests at arrival, during quarantine, and at release time.  Also included is the arrangement fee.  The total is $7000, must be paid in full and in advance.

The cost doesn't cover for hospital stay and treatment if any of the tests is positive.  After being released from the quarantine site, passenger must be isolated at home for another 14 days under supervision from local health workers.

That cost is for Vietnamese nationals who have the right to return to their home country.  The cost for foreign experts is too complicated for me to inquire.  I doubt that an internship belongs in the approved list.

Yakultr

Apologies to both of you, it seems there has been some confusion surrounding the $2000 I mentioned, and I am uncertain how to change the first post!

Also, to clarify, I am not seeking immediate entry to Vietnam during the current pandemic, it would be later in this year that I plan to begin.

The $2000 I mentioned is a charge issued by companies who supposedly assist in finding internships for you, for example:

Placement Package - $1,900
Customized internship placement
24/7 emergency assistance
Visa assistance
CV/Resume Enhancement
Certification from your host company

Standard Package - $7,150
Placement Package Features
Furnished Accommodation
Airport pick-up at arrival
Preloaded Transportation Card (For the first month)
Domestic SIM Card
Pick-up and drop-off from your apartment to your workplace on your first day

Signature Package - $12,500
Standard Package Features
Deluxe Accommodation
Gym Pass
Monthly Trip to Explore the Country
Language Classes
Exclusive Networking Events

This would obviously be additional to any personal costs and flights, and also my own visa costs. I believe this would be a student visa?

I would prefer to arrange everything myself, probably saving money as well, instead of going via one of these companies.

Ideally my post is regarding resources or advice for finding suitable companies which offer internships.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Working in Vietnam
    Working in Vietnam

Anyone thinking about working in Vietnam is in for a treat. Compared to many Western countries, Vietnam's ...

• Setting up a business in Vietnam
    Setting up a business in Vietnam

Foreign entrepreneurs from across the globe have been landing across Asia for decades. In August, Harvard ranked ...

• Finding a job in Hanoi
    Finding a job in Hanoi

With Vietnam's new visa regulations, you will need to secure a job before entering the country. Opportunities to ...

• Working in Hanoi
    Working in Hanoi

The traditional capital of Vietnam is quickly becoming a professional's paradise. Attracting over 20,000 ...

• Working in Vietnam as a digital nomad
    Working in Vietnam as a digital nomad

Vietnam is emerging as a new popular destination for digital nomads and downshifters. As the prices in most Asian ...

• Internships in Vietnam
    Internships in Vietnam

Interning can be a wonderful eye-opening way to experience a new country, culture, and work climate in your ...

• The Vietnamese labor market
    The Vietnamese labor market

Depending on your industry and patience, finding a job in Vietnam can be a challenge. Many companies and local ...

• Working in Nha Trang
    Working in Nha Trang

The city of Nha Trang, located in the province of Khanh Hoa, thrives on tourism. If you are looking for a job in ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles