Menu
Expat.com

Shipping a container contents from U.K.

Last activity 30 July 2021 by Misty1

Starrystarrynight

Hi everyone,
We are hoping to move over ASAP and rent for a bit before buying. Heard most rental properties come ready furnished? If this is the case I was wondering;

What is the “usual condition “ of the rental property (fairly high end villa) furniture? Specifically beds and couches?

If we think we may ship a container (resident under retirement permit) can it only be 1 x20ft (not a 40ft or 2x20ft?).

AND
If you’ve already moved over, what did you, or WISH YOU HAD filled your container with (like hard to get items etc)? We wouldn’t try bringing any prohibited  Items.

Can’t wait to hear folks “wish I had brought or brought more of” lists! 🙏
L

Vedan

Hello I have just sent you a private message!!
Regards
Vedan

Beant46

if possible make comments public please, we would like to see the answers to the questions asked.

Thanks

Nessie1980

Yes please, as I'm also interested in shipping either a container or a pallet, but I'm not too sure about the cost of containers and what to put or not to put in it, if you can help please, that would be appreciated. Thank you

Starrystarrynight

Hi Nessie1980
Loads of info on this website https://www.abels.co.uk/downloads/relo- … -Guide.pdf

I was wanting to know more about what to buy more of before leaving the U.K. as there are some internet bloggers saying some everyday use goods and furniture  (and clothing?) are perhaps of low quality or high price (or both?).  I don’t really know if it’s accurate, to date, or not?

Starrystarrynight

The cost really depends on container size, where it’s coming from, who’s packaging it, how long that takes, what you are shipping, then it’s permits and tax in Mauritius and how it’s getting to your house.
Probably best too call a local to you international shipping company for a free quote as it should handle all the paperwork for you etc.
When I do mine I will post the cost here.

Nessie1980

Thank you

rafiquerahiman

Probably that’s what the blogger wanted !!.
Quality remains otherwise😃.

Starrystarrynight

Hi rafiquerhiman
I’m a bit confused by your reply? Can you elaborate please?

Ceresiet

Firstly Starry, if you obtain a Residence Permit / Occupation Permit first as Retired Non-Citizen, then you are allowed to bring in duty free ONE 20-foot container of furniture, household goods and personal effects. Illegal items would be alcohol, narcotics (obviously), and items for resale on the island (i.e. multiples of the same item that are obviously not for personal use), then any animal, plant or biological material not allowed into Mauritius.

There have been stories, on the biological side, of people having to pay for the destruction and disposal of their used vacuum cleaner because the dust inside constituted a biohazard.
Therefore items like vacuum cleaners you should rather buy brand new before importing to the island; even mattresses might be an issue in this regard, therefore safer to bring brand new ones still in their plastic. Anything else with a filter (e.g. a tumble drier or washing machine could be a problem, so at the very least they would have to be professionally cleaned before shipping.

Everything on the island is expensive, from food, toiletries & cosmetics, prescription medication, to furniture and home electronics - this is because most everything is imported.
Mauritius has several manufacturers in the textile industry, so everyday clothing like T-shirts are readily available.

Furnished apartments:
the upmarket villas in expat complexes (especially those less than 3-5 years old) have modern, high spec furniture so in that case no need to bring your beds, dining table & chairs, TV cabinet, couch & other lounge furniture etc.
These upmarket villas would also usually include all the large appliances like stove (oven & hob), fridge/freezer, washing machine and dishwasher.
Any rental apartment or house older or less upmarket, would usually include a few older, lower quality items of furniture or appliances - often that the owner no longer needs in his own house, so in most cases you’d rather bring your own  (A suggestion would be to ask beforehand for detailed CURRENT photos of each room in the apartment you wish to rent - state specifically that this is for you to see exactly which furniture & appliances are included)
- the question then arises where to store the items that you do NOT wish to use that came with the furnished apartment ? You could request to rent the apartment UNfurnished, but do not expect to receive a discount on the rent for that.

What NOT to bring:
heaters, blankets & thick duvets, jerseys & heavy jackets - Mauritius is simply too hot and humid even in winter so these will never be used.
A light windbreaker is fine for the cyclone season.

Starrystarrynight

Hi Ceresiet
Thank you for this excellent response.  It’s helped immensely with focus on what necessary! We are storing/selling most stuff (to sort out some time later) and putting the house up for sale, so a daunting list of “to do”.  The vaccum cleaner / filter issue would never ever have crossed my mind...

Hopefully meet you when we can travel over, we owe you a drink!
L

Ceresiet

thanks starrystarrynight and good luck with the sorting and packing (i’m a hoarder myself so I know LOL)

take a look at this video on the pros and cons of shipping a container with all your belongings
(this is not specifically for Mauritius but relevant nonetheless):

https://youtu.be/UrcKY8LLUKs

also watch this 6 Steps to Relocation video by Lucy Leheilleix
(I think she used Pickfords from South Africa and they packed and wrapped everything for her)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMXR25DrDxs

Lastly this video by Rolfe International about cost of living in Mauritius also touches briefly on moving and container costs:

https://youtu.be/JLrSSP1qxh8

Nessie1980

Ok, thanks a lot for the info and hope you'll manage to settle in Mauritius soon. smile.png

Nessie1980

Thanks for this info, I didn't know about all this, so thanks for clearing it for me too

Misty1

Hello

Has anyone ever brought / shipped a used mattress from overseas? Did customs reject it?

Thanks

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Moving to Mauritius
    Moving to Mauritius

So you are moving to Mauritius. You have obtained your visa. You have a job, or you have been accepted to ...

• Moving to Mauritius with your pet
    Moving to Mauritius with your pet

Non-resident pet owners need to seek approval for Residence Permit before bringing their pet to Mauritius. Once ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles