Menu
Expat.com

Import container bikes/electric bike-not scooter

Last activity 14 March 2021 by Anou86

Starrystarrynight

Hi everyone,
We may want to bring with us a couple of road bicycles and possible a couple of electric bicycles.  Does anyone know  if there may be any issue  with this?

They are obviously not “scooters/mopeds”, however as a separate question, is there an issue with a moped/scooter?

Starrystarrynight

Hi does anyone have any advice, stories, or just a point of view?
L

Anou86

Hi Starrystarrynight,

Nothing wrong in bringing with you road bicycles, electric bicycles as well, even scooter. You need to find out how much it will cost you in form of taxes/customs https://www.mra.mu/index.php/customs  If it is worthwhile.

May I ask what bicycles brand/model you wish to bring along ?

Regards,
Anoushka

Beant46

Hi

is there a limit on how old motor bikes have to be like there is on cars, I want to bring my Harley Davidson over but in a few years?

Anou86

Hi Beant46,

Motorbikes older than 1 year old can't be imported. However, contact the MRA for official info : https://www.mra.mu/index.php/   (the law has perhaps changed sice...)

Regards,
Anoushka

Starrystarrynight

Hi
Riese & muller for electric and BMC for road.
L

Anou86

Thanks for the info. I haven’t seen these brands here in Mauritius (maybe someone could shed the light if they are on sale here and if spare parts are available just in case)....

Starrystarrynight

Hi ANou86
Are Tesla cars something known on island? Regarding  supply/charging?
Also apart from the actual product and ,”electric supply” they are supposed to be more environmentally friendly......?
L

Anou86

I have yet to see a Tesla here but there are a few models registered. All models are not available on the local market though and importers are rare. You won't find any charging point at the gas station

Found a company dealing with the brand online, maybe they can provide some infos : ev-cars.org/

Here are official figures concerning registration of electric vehicles in Mauritius from the NLTA :

Registration-of-electric-vehicles-2011-December-2020-page-001.jpg

Production of electricity costs a lot in Mauritius and we still rely on non-eco friendly resources such as coal imports. More info here : Mauritius - Energy

You may have a look at tariff for domestic consumption here : CEB Domestic Tariff

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Driving in Mauritius
    Driving in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles