EP renewal rejected die to big change in salary

Last activity 23 November 2021 by Je-he

Lsoni
mohitkashyap2793 wrote:

can you help to know the exact reason what MOM send to your employer

Hi Mohit,
It's
"salary does not seems commensurate with candidate credentials."

This statement is not clear. My consultancy only thinking in one direction which is only high salary reason.
they not ready to consider ,it could also be less salary.

In appeal, my consultancy only submitted documents, but not changed anything in salary part.(EP applied 7000, SAT 7300+)

So if MOM again reject appeal, will they mentioned clearly it is less salary or high salary?

Also can help to know, is there any specific department in MOM where we can clear our query?
HR told me they called MOM customer services, where they give generic answers.

beppi
Feb2Oct wrote:

Hi All, quick query, is there any maximum salary limit per MoM rules for DP work permit or earlier for DP LoC?

There are no officially published limits. And whether they apply internal limits is not known to us yet, because too few people posted their experience here since the change.
But I expect them to apply similar criteria as for other work passes - as they probably don't want DP/WP holders to under- (or over-)cut the market levels either.

beppi
Lsoni wrote:

Also can help to know, is there any specific department in MOM where we can clear our query?

The SAT tool is the best way to get your question about required salary range answered.
Appealing with the same salary after a rejection for wrong salary is just a waste of time!

Lsoni
beppi wrote:
Lsoni wrote:

The SAT tool is the best way to get your question about required salary range answered.
Appealing with the same salary after a rejection for wrong salary is just a waste of time!

Hi beppi/All,

Sharing one more scenario below which I recently observed, please help me to understand this.

My university name is "Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore"
In my educational certificate it mentioned " Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore ( Formaly known as University of Indore)"

In SAT college list, there are 2 names appearing.
1. "University of Indore(Currently known as Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore)"
2. "Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalay, Indore"

In SAT, if selecting option 1, minimum salary for EP is 7300+
And if selecting option 2, salary is 6950.

I called MOM, to understand this duplicate names, but they said that they not able to explain me anything, better inform to your employer, and through employer they check this.

Then I asked my consultancy about this, so they said that they selected option 2, and submitted salary 7000 which is higher than SAT salary i.e 6950. Also submitted required documents in appeal. So hopefully appeal will be successful.

So my question is, is it normal that SAT college list has two names of my university. Are they consider duplicate?

If not duplicate, then according to my educational certificate which option should be choose, because then only salary range can consider.

beppi

Lsoni: How is anybody here supposed to know what your university is called and how this is represented in MoM's list - if even MoM cannot tell you?

TodayBye

Hi Community,
I just created a post for my case. But looks like there are more audience here. So pasting my message here again.

Hi Community,
I got a job offer in late Jul. Company applied EP twice but both got rejected. However my situation is a bit complicated:
1. I'm holding an S pass with monthly salary 6k
2. Finance industry
3. 11 years 9 months total working experience
4. Moved to SG in 2016; was getting 7.1k back then and holding an EP; changed job in Feb, 2018 and getting 8.9k in the new job.
5. Only stayed with the new company for 5 months and then decided to pursue a master's degree in a local university. Since the new company is not able to accommodate my time-off for the study, moved back to the first employer who offered the current 6k salary with lesser workload and flexible office hour.  Employer applied EP at first but rejected. So applied SP for me
6. Study completed last year. Now the latest employer offered 9.1k (so it would look like they increased 52% comparing to my current salary). First time, they applied EP for me by using an HR outsourcing company (meaning I will be employed by that company), rejected, with comment "salary offered does not seem commensurate with candidate's credential". The company thought it's more likely is because government nowadays are not so friendly towards those outsourcing company as they had case before that application from outsourcing company failed but got approved when they themselves applied. So the second time they tried under their own company, today, got rejected again and with same comment. So looks like outsourcing company is not the issue here.
7. This company is under the regulator's radar recently. They had quite a number of application failed recently according to HR. They suspect government might be a bit hostile to them.

The company will try to appeal for my application this time. Do you guys think I have a chance here? Because if government is having issue with the 52% increase, then I could argue that I was already getting 7.1k in my first job in SG and 8.9k in my second job and the 6k salary I'm getting now is only because I need to accommodate my study? Or MOM wouldn't care how much I was getting 3 years ago....

A bit frustrated with the waiting and rejections......
Anyone had any recent successful appeal?
Thanks all!

GuestPoster832

Hi,
I received a EP rejection recently stating higher salary compared to the current salary I am drawing. Any experience where the employer has revised the package to reduce it to match the industry standards of hike while appealing against rejection. Thanks

Shekhz
Shraddha Tawate wrote:

Hi,
I received a EP rejection recently stating higher salary compared to the current salary I am drawing. Any experience where the employer has revised the package to reduce it to match the industry standards of hike while appealing against rejection. Thanks

Numerous posts on this forum on the same topic, please read through.

Lsoni

Hi All,
Just wanted to update that my appeal also rejected.

Reason for appeal rejection - "You have not shown that candidate should command the salary offered. Further appeals are unlikely to be successful."

EP rejection reason - "Offered salary does not seems commensurate with candidate credentials"

16 Aug EP Submitted
26 Aug EP rejected
26 Aug Appealed
15 Sep Appeal rejected

Now starting my job hunt again.
Shall I ask for EP Pass again with new employer?
Or now only S Pass / Work pass are option for me, as Already my one EP application not successful.

Shekhz

You sure can try for an EP again, just that the supporting logic to that salary provided by the employer should be very strong given the bump.

Lsoni
Shekhz wrote:

You sure can try for an EP again, just that the supporting logic to that salary provided by the employer should be very strong given the bump.

Thanks Shekhz,

Can please suggest if below points are good to justify the salary raise. Please suggest/include if missed any.

Educational
Designation
Technology
Previous experience
Criticality for current project
Current market/demand
Industry

Shekhz
Lsoni wrote:
Shekhz wrote:

Thanks Shekhz,

Can please suggest if below points are good to justify the salary raise. Please suggest/include if missed any.

Educational
Designation
Technology
Previous experience
Criticality for current project
Current market/demand
Industry

You have missed an important point, what has changed with regards to your role and responsibility. Good example, you are to manage a team, bigger geography, have attained some role specific certifications etc which bring your market value up. Hope this helps.

CaptainBarbell

Hi guys,

I have an update.

My EP got rejected (2nd rejection) again, here's the reason:
You have not shown that the candidate should command the salary offered

My HR called MoM to clarify the rejection, here are the reasons:
- Need more supporting documents
- Sufficient company funds to support my salary
- If company tried to consider local candidates
- Why choose me instead of other local candidates

Then with a note:
This will take 3 weeks. Sometimes it takes longer when we need to contact other agencies.

My question is, during my appeal waiting time, I found a new company that is willing to apply for SPass but lower salary. Should I tell company A to re-appeal again or proceed with company B, then apply for S Pass? Because if re-appealing again will have lower chance, I was thinking to proceed with company B (new) and just apply for SPass since it has higher success rate (because it means you have sufficient locals).

beppi
CaptainBarbell wrote:

Should I tell company A to re-appeal again or proceed with company B, then apply for S Pass?

Nobody other than you could make that decision - and nobody other than MoM could tell you where the chances are higher.

David3888

Hi,

I have a question regarding the potential problems with the salary increases. What if you are coming from outside Singapore, from a country where salaries are lower? In that case I would say is normal to have a notable salary increase, right? I mean, is not the same as being in Singapore because you need to also take into account the differents average salaries per country I guess?

If in country A the average salary is 1000$ let's say, and in Singapore is 3000$, if your salary in country A was 2500$ it makes sense to receive an offer in SG to something around 9000$. I guess MoM is obviously taking these aspects in consideration, right?

Thanks!

beppi

David: I don't think MoM asks for (or cares about) your income in other countries before you came here. (Except if you apply for a PEP.)

David3888

But that info is part of the employment pass request right? Where you worked before coming into SG and your salary there, right? (Maybe I am wrong)

Maybe all this discussion related to salary jump affects only the EP renewals for people already in Singapore and not the new EP for people from outside of SG going to work to SG for the first time?

beppi

I still think there is no rejection just because of a big salary increase - provided the new salary in within the range that MoM considers normal for your education, work experience and job scope.

David3888

okay! I have seen it mentioned so many times that I was wondering if it could be a potential problem. It would have sound weird to me considering the differences in salaries across countries!

Shekhz

The salary fetched in your current job in another country is asked and referenced for records and to ensure there isn’t too much disparity. SG has a strong economy and is an expensive country to live in- you can’t be employed here coming from a weaker economy at same or minimal salary raises.

The 20-30-40-50% bump isn’t when you moving countries but critical and must be explained when you move jobs in SG between two different companies.

David3888
Shekhz wrote:

The salary fetched in your current job in another country is asked and referenced for records and to ensure there isn’t too much disparity. SG has a strong economy and is an expensive country to live in- you can’t be employed here coming from a weaker economy at same or minimal salary raises.

The 20-30-40-50% bump isn’t when you moving countries but critical and must be explained when you move jobs in SG between two different companies.

Thanks for your answer, Shekhz. That makes total sense.

Winnie1005

Just something to ask on salary justification; I mean the range can be huge.
A small company vs an industry giant. Also, no 2 roles are the same. Some roles could be 360 Regional roles overseeing a number of markets while some can be a local one focusing on a small patch, despite having the same job title. Or even for sales roles. Some get low base, high commission and some super high base without commission.

How is MOM going to justify what's reasonable (or not) for a business?

beppi

Winnie: It is not MoM who has to justify, but the employer. If they can convince MoM that the job and candidate warrant a certain salary (i.e. it benefits the company, jobs for locals are generated and the Singapore economy improves) then MoM will approve. If not, MoM will say "Hire a local instead!"

S_bh

Hi Everyone! I got a rejection from MOM 2 days back. Major points -

- Significant change in my salary compared to past salaries (there is a jump by $7K)
*Proposed justification:*
- I was a founder in the startup earlier to this, hence the low salary
- Disparity is because it was in a different country and Singapore is an expensive country to live in - we can’t be employed here coming from a weaker economy at same or minimal salary raises

- They need to be ensured that the company has sufficient funds to support my salary. They wrote that it will be good to submit documents to show the company has finances or other means to sustain its business
*Proposed justification:*
- There is enough amount in the co’s bank to pay my yearly salary, will share bank statement with them. I will be the only employee at present
- Any other document you think is relevant (as the company just got incorporated a month back)? And I do have a local director too.

- They need to be convinced that my proposed salary in SG is justified.
                    - I have a total work experience of 18+ years, with around 4 years in the relevant industry.
                      Not sure if the salary is low or high as per them?

Any suggestions to build my appeal strong is highly appreciated. Many thanks!

beppi

S_bh: So you want to get an EP for working in your own company in Singapore? The intended visa for that purpose is the EntrePass. If you cannot fulfil the Entrepass reqirements (and therefore want to exploit the ever narrowing, but curiously still not fully closed) "EP in own company" loophole, you can expect a lot of scrutiny and difficulties.
In addition to showing why the salary is justified and that the company can pay it, you need to convince the authorities that yours is a business Singapore wants to have. Just generating turnover is NOT enough for this. Best would be a clear business plan showing lots of local (not foreigner) employment generated in the near future.
I think you are well advised to engage an experienced business incorporation service provider to guide you through this process.
And keep in mins: Even if you get the EP in the end, it will be evaluated again every year (at renewal). If the company does not generate the proposed benefits for Singapore, you are out of the country. Is this uncertainty something you want?

S_bh
beppi wrote:

S_bh: So you want to get an EP for working in your own company in Singapore? The intended visa for that purpose is the EntrePass. If you cannot fulfil the Entrepass reqirements (and therefore want to exploit the ever narrowing, but curiously still not fully closed) "EP in own company" loophole, you can expect a lot of scrutiny and difficulties.
In addition to showing why the salary is justified and that the company can pay it, you need to convince the authorities that yours is a business Singapore wants to have. Just generating turnover is NOT enough for this. Best would be a clear business plan showing lots of local (not foreigner) employment generated in the near future.
I think you are well advised to engage an experienced business incorporation service provider to guide you through this process.
And keep in mins: Even if you get the EP in the end, it will be evaluated again every year (at renewal). If the company does not generate the proposed benefits for Singapore, you are out of the country. Is this uncertainty something you want?

Noted, thanks for your revert. Since I am already on DP currently (under my husband's EP) does the EntrePass apply to me?
In this new company, I have a foreign director currently as well as a local director (taken from my consultant). I currently have no role to play.

beppi

On DP without work visa, you better DON'T have a role to play - because that would be illegal!
There is also the possibility to get a WP while on DP - this is new, so we don't yet have any experience how it really works (especially in niche situations like yours).
But the straightforward way would be to get an EntrePass (if you can) and cancel your DP.

esenthilbe

Hi, my EP also got rejected due to this same reason.
Then my new employer asked me to provide Degree cert and 3 months bank stmt.
Is this problem with the company ? Will I get approved?
Its 2 weeks since appealed.

S_bh

Hi,
Since I will be re-applying in a day's time, wanted to check if there is any specific appeal format?
My consultant told me its better to share one document instead of multiple, so he shall be pasting the screenshots of the attachment (which are 4-5 in number, such as my CV etc. that supports my appeal) to the main document and then converting entire doc to a PDF. The resolution may not be clear but he says that's the best way to do so.

Just wanted some thoughts on this from experts here.
thank you.

S_bh
S_bh wrote:

Hi,
Since I will be re-applying in a day's time, wanted to check if there is any specific appeal format?
My consultant told me its better to share one document instead of multiple, so he shall be pasting the screenshots of the attachment (which are 4-5 in number, such as my CV etc. that supports my appeal) to the main document and then converting entire doc to a PDF. The resolution may not be clear but he says that's the best way to do so.

thank you.

Hi All, checking if someone could help me with the above query?

Shekhz
S_bh wrote:
S_bh wrote:

Hi,

thank you.

Yes, that’s how it needs to be done, one PDF that has all the relevant documents combined.

S_bh
Shekhz wrote:
S_bh wrote:
S_bh wrote:

Hi,

thank you.

Yes, that’s how it needs to be done, one PDF that has all the relevant documents combined.

Thank you!

Justin Justin38

Hello,

Sharing my details

Date of Epass Expiration- May 14, 2022

Date of application: Nov 15,2021
Epass Approved : Nov 22, 2021

Industry : IT/HR SOFTWARE
Salary : $7500
Yrs of Experience: 6yrs in Singapore, 14yrs in total
Education: Post Graduate diploma in Singapore

Tips:

1. Renew your epass/spass 6months before so if theres an issues arise you will not pressure to resolve it.

2. Do the SAT before applying and making sure that the salary is in MOM qualification.

3. The most important tip is to PRAY HARDER . GOD WILL DEFINITIVELY ANSWER YOUR PRAYERS.

Thank you for this forum:

Je-he

Hi what was your monthly pay before your EP approval

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Work visas for Singapore
    Work visas for Singapore

As an expat, you must have a job to pay for your rent, bills, and leisure activities, but you can't just move ...

• Work visas in Singapore
    Work visas in Singapore

PEP applicants are assessed on the following criteria:

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles