Setting up an alternative base

Hi,

I'm in the US, and am considering setting up a home outside of the US.

I'm imagining to be in a place where I can homestead, that is, grow food, have water on land, have solar or some other alternative energy source, and internet. And also, have it in a safe place.

I speak some Spanish, and for now, it's just me, maybe some friends or family might visit or stay long term.  I imagine a few acres, ideally 5 or so. I think that's ~2 hectares.

So far, I've been to Colombia, Medellin. I figure it will need to be in a place where I can buy land and/or a house as a gringo.

Any recommendation on places that would be a good fit?

pranaman wrote:

I'm imagining to be in a place where I can homestead, that is, grow food, have water on land, have solar or some other alternative energy source, and internet. And also, have it in a safe place.

I speak some Spanish, and for now, it's just me, maybe some friends or family might visit or stay long term.  I imagine a few acres, ideally 5 or so...

So far, I've been to Colombia, Medellin....

Any recommendation on places that would be a good fit?

I love Colombia, but I wouldn't choose it for homesteading.  FARC, ELN, paramilitaries, etc. have terrorized various rural areas since being chased out of the cities in the post-Escobar era.

Gringos have been targeted from time to time in rural areas here in Ecuador as well.

If you follow this dream in South America, I'd say do it in or near a fairly populated area, not a place where there are virtually no people for miles around.

cccmedia in Quito, Ecuador

Farmsteading in Uruguay.

On the positive side of the 'safety scale' is the largely agricultural country of Uruguay.

When I visited several years ago, I found the people unfailingly friendly -- but not in any sort of pushy way.  It's one of the safest countries on this continent.

One hour from Uruguay is the modern first-world city of Buenos Aires, Argentina.  I am not necessarily recommending B.A. for farmsteading;  it has many other resources and wonders.

cccmedia in Ecuador

I like the idea of getting away from it all, and some people are suggesting it. I see your point of being near people though.

I remember I saw some videos from a guy who moved to Chile. He bought land... and a rifle.

Looking into Uruguay, thank you.