Working remotely in Brazil, for USD?

@ltoby955 I've worked remotely for many years.

@Ben Kirchner

Just scour Craiglist.org for openings on large US Metro Areas.    Boston, NY, San Francisco. 

You will take a pay cut. Not up to par as rates paid by your US counterparts.  The math still might benefit both if you waive fringe benefits and that a cut on rates. You will live with less here. 

I am a US citizen, married to a Brazilian.   I am a permanent resident of Brazil.   Our marriage was in the US and we then registered it in Brazil.   I acquired by permanent residency card and my CPF.    I am a data consultant.

Intially, I created a US LLC sole proprietorship and worked as a 1099 contractor for US clients.   This works just fine  depending on your revenue.    You are responsible for self employment taxes in the US, so make sure your rate includes this consideration.

I have since restructured and now have a US based LLC/C-Corp and a Brazilian EPP LTDA.   My US company contracts with US based companies for services.    My Brazilian company then provides those services.   This structure allows me to distribute earning to both me and my husband and it reduces my annual tax burden here in Brazil and in the USA.  The downside is the complexity and the need to pay an accounting firm R$450 monthly to manage the Brazilian company taxes, etc.   The tax preparation in the US is also more expensive.   In my circumstances, this structure was benefitial.

There is no monthly limit on transferring money from the USA to Brazil.  Either with Wise or wire transfers.   Initially I used Wise and had to supply invoicing and banking information for every transfer.  This verification process took from 3 days to 2 weeks.    Now, I wire directly in USD to my Santander account.  I can submit the documentation directly on the phone app.   Much easier and same day availability of funds.

@Ben Kirchner Hello Ben, keep in mind that, if your bank account balance goes higher than the equivalent of $10,000 USD, you must file your FBAR, along with your income tax in the USA. If the IRS finds out you have a bank account before you report to them, I can't tell you enough how much trouble you will be in.

BTW, I currently live in Atlanta with my wife. We've been living here for 30 years. Next year, we'll be moving to Vila Velha, Espirito Santo, to be near my brother. We're reforming the home my parents left for us. At the moment we're also learning a lot about the intricacies of working remotely from there to a US company, taxes, finances, etc... It's a lot to learn. I would like to keep in touch with you and your wife. I'm Brazilian and my wife American. We're kinda on the same boat, searching for similar results.

@alan279

Hi Alan,

This sort of set up is probably going to be what I need to do too. I've a profile on Fiver, Malt and Upwork. If you're needing someone for business development/sales - please drop me a message!

Best,

Sam.

Hello Everyone! 👋 I read all comments and theyre all very helpful. Now in 2024, anyone with an update?

06/25/24    Hello Everyone! 👋 I read all comments and theyre all very helpful. Now in 2024, anyone with an update?

-@Melissa Albuquerque

Welcome, Melissa.  If you do a search on "Digital Nomad" on the Forum page (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=511) you'll find several threads with postings from people who are currently  doing foreign work remotely as Digital Nomads in Brazil.

@abthree, @Melissa Albuquerque...I have never been a Digital Nomad, but it may be possible that if you can do something for the place you are staying at....  Type up contracts, make flyers, sing for your supper etc. you are staying at, you may be able to get a discount or even free.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@Melissa Albuquerque I've lived in Brazil for 15 years and never worked for a Brazilian company, though I've had English speaking clients in the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, UAE, Morocco and Norway.

I have lived in Brasil for 24 years and have worked in English for clients around the world for the entire time (although I am now semi-retired). I have turned down many requests to do work for potential Brazilian clients because of the limited income potential.