Retiring in Egypt

Hello,

My Neice is trying to convince me about retiring to Egypt, or somewhere warmer, but as a Swiss who has lived in the same apartment for the past 55 years, I am naturally hesitant. Especially after the passing of my husband about 5 years ago. I am not sure that I can handle the stress of moving. As such, I would like to have an idea about the cost of living. I am imagining a hotel apartment somewhere nice that has a high-quality medical service just in case and is well-catered. How much would that cost monthly, or yearly? any ideas?

Egypt is an entirely different country to Switzerland. Medical care is not great, it is very hot and dusty for much of the year, and the culture is very different as well. Do you know anyone in Egypt? This is a very different

world from the one where a young Agatha Christie wintered over 100 years ago. I don't know your exact age but would strongly advise against such a move.

@2FatCats Please be aware that if you have keepsakes of any value, household goods etc that you intend to bring with you. They are taxed 14% of their value in VAT and Import Duty charges also apply. It is a huge factor to consider unless you are selling everything and starting form scratch.

There are lots of good-quality apartments in Egypt.  Hotel apartments are very convenient and yet twice or three times the prices of renting a good quality apartment in a Nice place.  I recommend that if you are considering retiring to Egypt, come to Egypt as a tourist first with the intention of studying the society, the cost of living, and recreation, and see how cultural differences may affect you in the long run.  Go back home, think about it, and if you feel that is really where you would like to spend the rest of your life, you can come back and live here.

Thanks a lot everyone for your very nice and sensible answers, glad that I have posted my question here.... All the best

@2FatCats Have a nice day

@Maha Hamdy what are the best places to look into? do you have some cities or areas in mind?

My advice would be to either come for a couple of months in August/September and then again January/February to experience both the warmest and coldest weather. Rent an apartment in a nice complex and get a feel for the place. Where you'd prefer to live. What you'd be wanting to be doing. The cost of living varies greatly on what your expectations/planned lifestyle would be.

Or put your personal belongings in storage, rent your current accommodation for a year and give yourself 12 months to really see if this is the place for you before you make an dramatic decision.

@2FatCats

We have retired from uk to Sharm el Sheikh. We have been here since March. We looked at Hurghada first because its more central to visit Cario and Luxor etc.

It's depends as others say what toy want. Somethings are cheaper other are far more expensive. As poeople say health care if that is important to you is sketchy and can be expensive. The heat does take some getting used to but is l9vley once acclimatised.

Egypt is a great place to be then I guess so is Switzerland

@2FatCats Sorry to put it so bluntly. Pour yourself a large gin and tonic, put your feet up in front of the fire - and FORGET this idea!

I am an expat who has been in Egypt for almost 32 years. Without going into detail, the multitude of issues, problems, bureaucratic entanglements, cons and scams that await you, will destroy any enjoyment you think you might get by retiring here.....

@2FatCats It depends on what you are going to do here.  If you will just retire and enjoy life you can stay in Zamalek, Maadi, If you prefer to live in the outskirts of Greater Cairo you have Sheikh Zayed, 6 October, or New Cairo.

If you prefer to live by the sea, places around the Red Sea will suit you well.  If you decide to open a new business or work, choose the place that is closest to your work

@James DeGazio untrue. We moved here for work and brought plenty of valuable items. There is no duty on personal goods.

@mtdd

But you are still there? Would you not be a person for us to tap into your knowledge and experience so we could avoid most pitfalls?

Please share your experiences

Angela