Advice on Orfi

Hi everyone. I would really appreciate any advice on this complicated matter. I signed an orfi contract 3 years ago with an Egyptian male and I want out. I recently discovered that he physically cheated with another woman at the start of our relationship. Yet he is refusing to let go, probably as he is aware of the fact that I am looking at buying property in Egypt. He has both copies of the orfi contracts and is refusing to give me mine. I just came back from holiday there and both he and his friends were stalking me, and he also accused me of cheating when I was with my mum.

He is very rude and controlling and quite frankly I have had enough. How can I get rid of this man in a civil fashion, without causing problems for myself if I move there..?

Are you living in Egypt and where did you register it .

if you  can find out that he is married of another women  you can really easily  get divorced  .

Kelaney I am living in the U.K. and it was registered in Luxor in a lawyer's office

I don't think he is married Mohamed he is really unmarriageable if that's a word, just he slept with another woman during our orfi marriage and I have proof of that

send this proof to any Egyptian lawyer and he will use  to get  you divorce

Thank you, I may do that

Orfi contract has no legal binding in Egypt, just leave him and move forward, he can't do anything. Things get a little complicated if you have kids because of inheritance and upbringing, but otherwise orfi contract has no legal value. You are free, just enjoy the life.

Your response is interesting as only last year I had to  get a lawyer to stop my ex of 3 years from harrassing , threatening and stalking me. We ended up in court and he insisted that he still had our orfi papers . The District attorney said they could be used against me if I was to meet anither man  so my ex had a choice. Sign a confession that we were no longer together or go to jail for 3 years.  It took a full day in the court but eventually he signed the paper . Needless to say that is a very short version of events .

My thoughts exactly, everyone gives contradicting advice on orfi... some say it's a legally binding contract others say that it's not worth the paper it's written on. Either way I find the whole thing really unfair because most of the time it's the non Egyptian woman paying for it and the “husband” is usually deadbeat, not paying a penny. So literally all the bloke has to do is sign a piece of paper and he's given all these rights, while the woman has none. No wonder Egyptian women won't touch it with a barge pole. I feel like they're set up in the man's favour. They are slave papers. I would urge women to think twice about getting one, they're not just “sex” papers, I mean that's how they're viewed by society but if you find yourself with a particularly vindictive Egyptian man he could use it against you in future. As for sex yes you do need to be married but the right one will take it slow. Take it from me is it really worth it?!

Thanks for your reply but I was told that if I refuse to stay with him in Egypt he can get the police to bring me to him lol.

I dont think that the police can do that at all. If you were to become involved with another man however then the lines become blurred. He is within his rights to report you for adultery.  This is what the District Attorney in Sharm court was concerned about for me. He was very clear about it too and said it can happen even with Orfi.
When you come back to Egypt go to the lawyer who wrote the paper or any other trusted lawyer and take advice .
When i started the process i was dreading it and really felt very stupid but within hours he was in the jail awaiting the court hearing. From my visiting the lawyer to end of court hearing was just 4 days and I have my life back and am happy again .

ofi marriage ist a marriage.. they mean nothing unless u went to Cairo n got it registered.. I to had same trouble as u.. I wonted a divorce then I found out its just a piece of paper so u can stay in flat together.. but me warned I went back 4 yrs l8er to see a friend n my ex saw me n beat me quite badly.. kept saying I was his.. but u Learn.. I also found out that once u go home from where ever u come from they throw the paper n go onto the next women 4 sex money whatever..
if u still going to buy house there make sure u have a good lawyer to go through everything with u regarding buying n it's kept in ur name only.. a very long story but I brought house in luxor.. its taken me 5 yrs to get my house bk.. try not to buy anywhere near ur ex.. egpyt is a big place but people know people he will soon find u.. I was only in luxor half a day b4 he found me.. should of kept out of luxor then I would be safe
good luck with whatever u plan to do.. stay safe

Haha yes in Luxor everyone knows everything, within a night of arrival I guarantee everyone will already know who you're with and what hotel you're staying at. It's weird and unnerving. I just find the whole thing unfair. These men contribute nothing but, they have the right to keep tabs on you. So from what I can see you're only up S Creek if you meet another guy. And they're allowed unlimited women got it. Wow 5 years that's a long process. I know a lot of women that have been through similar it's crazy. Yeah I've worked hard for this don't want any man getting his hands on it. I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

We “married” in Qurna Luxor it's pretty lawless over there. Husband was wearing a tracksuit. Yes you have to choose your lawyer carefully in Egypt, have spoken to a few that have turned out to be “pervs”.

hi its nice to hear back from u.. n 2 know iam not alone..
I got my house back from my ex  lucky he forced all the papers to put the house in his n his wife's name no I didt know he was already married..   I had a very good lawyer but he took a lot of money doing it.. the worst part was going to court n having to face my ex that's another long story.. Any road I sold my house now but 4 year iam still waiting for money n not sure when or if I get it.. I have the British embassy saying one thing then Egyptian government saying another.. n both sides want money 4 doing paperwork.. things r not like here when selling..
where does ur ex come from if u don't mind me asking
where u thinking of living
tarnja

hi sorry just seen ur other message.. where u got marred.. I know where that is.. I had a friend lived that way with her Egyptian man.. I lived in television St luxor..
I would love 2 go back 2 luxor as really enjoyed living there.. but unless something bad happens to my ex.. n he see me again even though it 10 years now I think I would get more then a beating
so u still planning on buying.. Sharm very nice.. not quite so easy 4 ur ex to get too..

Wow he forced you to hand it over? Can they do that? Sorry to say but the law is messed up over there so much corruption and injustice. But I do love the 24/7 sun and low cost living... not so into the men anymore after my experience lol... though most think we're there specifically for them. Yes most are secretly married some you never ever know about. It's an unspoken truth. I will always warn women about marrying over there because it can turn into a jail sentence. I get a lot of messages from men saying we're not all bad, yes I'm aware some Egyptian men are very fair and very honourable but the great majority aren't. It is what it is.

It's a real shame you're scared to go back to Luxor again. It's one big community there though so impossible to hide. To be honest I've never known anywhere like it. 

Yeah he's from the West Bank all kinds of things go on over there and they all cover each other's backs. Lots of property scams. It used to be very decrepit now it's full of villas. Go figure. I was planning to buy in Hurghada but he lives there. Now you've mentioned Sharm I could consider that but never been. Maybe I should go next time see if I like it

iam sure u will like sharm.. especially if ur in to snorkeling.. I can't swim but my daughter did..the undersea was beautifu n went every day.. I watched from a huge boat.. which was just as good sunbathing in the middle of the med on a beautiful hot day.. u can't quite do that in the Nile.. very touristy thou as it has the beaches.. nicer then hurdgha full of Russians.. Aswan is also nice though a lot quiter
Cairo nice but very busy if u don't like London on a busy day.. then not Cairo.. would like to go Alexander one day.. u been there or u just been luxor
I would love to go retire there.. gott 2b better then English weather..
once u know the tricks from these men ur be fine.. I used to walk around with headphones on all the time n cuz I can speak a few different lauages that helped a lot learnt not to spk English otherwise ur trapped.. cuz then u someone saying I have friends there ect ect
please let me know where u thinking of goin it be nice to keep In touch with someone whom knows the same troubles.. I never know anyone whom I could talk too. maybe I wouldn't be I. mess with Egyptian men as iam now.. u never know I might one day go bk I would like too.. I think if I found a village overside of luxor airport n kept out of luxor city I should be ok properly have 2 cover up.. would be OK while having to wear masks for I could wear the niknab lol

I am sorry you are going through this. If the orfi  was just done in a lawyers office with two witnesses (sometimes dragged off the street) with no parent there,then it's not worth the paper it's written on. It's usually a bit of paper that gives permission for an Egyptian  to enter the property of a tourist or other usually for intimacy.
My understanding is the marriage has to be registered in Cairo and should certainly involve family members.
Be careful in Sharm! Sadly while on holiday my husband died there, and the translator at the hospital / tourist rep tried to take advantage of my sad situation to befriend me and to cut short, later tried to fiddle me regarding a property deal - fortunately I was able to understand his Arabic conversation unknown to him as I had taken a course in Arabic. I am sure there are so many lovely Egyptian males but sadly I have also witnessed alot of  deceit going on.  That said I will always have a soft spot for Sharm as my husband and I used to spend quality time there. The reefs are fabulous. Soho square is more upmarket than Sharm itself. I have not been back for five years  but know from friends living there it is still beautiful but the economy is struggling. My prayers and thoughts are with you whatever you decide to do x

@Tarnyaellan Lol in one of my finger biting moments I was thinking of wearing a burka there as well. I have been to Cairo and Aswan, both are amazing but too dry for my liking. But will definitely have to check Sharm out. I was planning to go sometime between January and April but still thinking of a plan of action. Wanted to look at flats as well. It's really annoying having to play hide and seek with these orfi men I don't know who the hell they think they are... it helps to have a network over there as they say there's safety in numbers. The men are cowards so will target you when you're alone. And I'm sure if and when tourists return they'll refocus their attentions on someone else. It's when they're waiting around doing nothing that it gets risky. When were you planning to go back?

Bon15 so sorry to hear about your husband, I can't imagine how painful it must have been to go through. It's disgusting that someone tried to take advantage of you at this terrible time, but not surprising. There's a lot of predators around that try to exploit vulnerability.

That's what I always assumed that it's just a piece of paper, or placebo marriage. To me a marriage involves one or both parents being present, family, walking down the aisle in a fancy dress and exchanging vows. Not sitting in a shady office on a plastic chair with no one else around, like a dirty secret. It's madness! I was told that he could get it legally registered but he would just need my signature.

Yes from what I heard Sharm used to be booming, but since that plane crash incident the tourism really dried up. Plus it's not so easy to get to Sharm as Hurghada is what with flight restrictions. Thank you I will keep you in my prayers also, god bless

How all of you can marry Egyptians?
Why do you want hell on the earth

Lelit they are very charming and dare I say handsome in the beginning. And it's not always in a sleazy way. After marriage it's a different story. Also I've met bad men from all nationalities it really depends on his character and personal ethics