Best cities for retirement in Egypt

Hello everyone,

An increasing amount of people want to spend their retirement abroad. Would you consider giving a few tips to those looking into Egypt for their retirement?

What are the most attractive cities for retirees in Egypt?

Why are these the best cities in Egypt for retirement (quality of life, cost of living, climate, health, security, etc.)?

Are there any specific areas in Egypt where there are special retirement schemes or retirement-friendly residential areas?

Are there any activities suitable for retirees in Egypt?

Do you have any tips on where to start looking or how to choose a suitable city for one's retirement in Egypt?

If you have, yourself, chosen to spend your retirement abroad, please tell us what city you have chosen and why?

Please share your experience.

Bhavna

Personally, I prefer to stay in Alexandria after retirement or in Hurghada because I am connected to fishing boats and they are quieter than Cairo and there is no population congestion

I am assuming that the question refers to non-Egyptians who might care to leave their home countries in order to retire overseas, including Egypt potentially.

In my case I am a non-Egyptian that has lived, invested and worked in Egypt for nearly 30 years, and am now contemplating retirement.

I will not retire in Egypt.

Reasons?

When I am old and my mental energy declines, I cannot handle the noise, the pollution, the bureaucracy, the scams, and the high rate of inflation that has now hit this country.

Pensioners require stability, especially economic stability. Most of them are on fixed incomes, and for a long time Egypt was attractive because of the exchange rate. But those days are gone. When a shopping basket at Carrefour Cairo costs as much as at Aldi in an English country town, and when electricity bills are higher than in the UK - and bear in mind that noone here can survive without A/C for 5 months of the year - then other countries become more attractive to the retiree.

And God help the poor retiree when he has to go and spend summer days at the Mugamma renewing his or her visa!

I decided to retire in Egypt I come from a big city New York USA so I chose Cairo Cairo is a big city and it is what I'm used to anything I really need I can find it in Cairo and I love it.

I would tell people to rent with caution because as soon as they know you're a foreigner the prices go up also watch your electric bill landlords sometimes use your electric and charge you for it be careful.

Also Housekeeper‘s watch them very closely because as nice as they seem  most of them steal they take things from four to close to Jewlery to whatever. You must watch them very carefully.

Hide your valuable things and tell them to carry a see-through purse only check their purses randomly sometimes when they're leaving so you can see if there's anything in there that belongs to you and prosecute I have put one housekeeper in jail already for stealing valuable things.

Other than those two things I find Cairo to be a high quality of life everything seems to be affordable for me and I also chose one Taxi Driver that works with me exclusively he is very good knows what I want helped me along so try to stick with one driver call them when you need them those are my tips good luck God bless

I would most definitely retire in Dahab. It's my happy place. Plus it is quiet and away from the craziness. I just love the laid back feel.

I would retire in hurghada Red Sea. I've been there had a flat looking over the sea. Amazing view !! What I didn't like was the fact you can't drink the water. You have to buy it. It wouldn't stop me from retiring there tho. What stops me is the medicine I take is not available there. If you want to retire in Egypt visit first for awhile and explore all your options.
Carolann Hegazy