Menu
Expat.com

Importing classic muscle cars into Vietnam

Last activity 22 November 2022 by qnbui

shanetrout1969

I am wondering if anyone has experience importing old school Muscle cars into Vietnam. 

Aidan in HCMC

Hi there shanetrout1969, and welcome to expat.com!

Very interesting subject you've brought up. May I ask what research you've done yourself already? I don't want to waste your time referring you to sources/links which you are already familiar with.

I see from your profile that you are Australian. Will the classic cars you referenced be from Australia? I ask because there are certain restrictions on driving right-hand-drive vehicles in VN. I believe you'll need a lead vehicle to follow behind whenever you want to take to the road. This I had heard from an expat I spoke to 4 or 5 years back about importing a vehicle from NZ.

There was also talk around the same time of the VN gov't restricting the age of vehicles permitted on VN roads. This caused great consternation among classic car enthusiasts who were owners of some very, very nice classic Peugeots and Citroens.

Importation of used vehicles into VN are also subject to age restriction (of the vehicle). I'm not sure whether there is wiggle-room for importing antique vehicles.

You might also require a TRC (at minimum) to import a vehicle (new, or not).

I'm sorry I'm unable to give you any firsthand advice on your question. When you have the time, w̲e̲ ̲w̲o̲u̲l̲d̲ ̲c̲e̲r̲t̲a̲i̲n̲l̲y̲ ̲a̲p̲p̲r̲e̲c̲i̲a̲t̲e̲ ̲h̲e̲a̲r̲i̲n̲g̲ ̲b̲a̲c̲k̲ ̲f̲r̲o̲m̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲ on all the trials and tribulations required to accomplish the task.

Again, welcome to expat.com.

qnbui

I don't know the process of importing classic cars into VN but the last time I was in VN back in early 2019, I was on the back of a Grab motorbike and we rode up right next to a 1969 Mustang convertible that is an exact copy of mine. It's not a common paint scheme so I was surprised that there's another one just like it in VN. Also being a convertible in VN is also unusual since it's hot most of the time in Saigon.

photo.JPG

shanetrout1969

@Aidan in HCMC

Hi Aidan, thank you for your input, sorry for the slow reply.

Our goal is to restore the vehicles in Vietnam and then import them directly back to AU.  We are in the process of trying to find a loophole. We want to take advantage of the cheap labor as restoring old cars in AU is crazy expensive. I will keep you informed on our progress.

Best regards

Shane.

OceanBeach92107
@Aidan in HCMC
Our goal is to restore the vehicles in Vietnam and then import them directly back to AU. We are in the process of trying to find a loophole. We want to take advantage of the cheap labor as restoring old cars in AU is crazy expensive. I will keep you informed on our progress.
Best regards
Shane.
-@shanetrout1969

Time to get a Vietnamese lawyer and submit a detailed business plan to the government, along with enough capital on deposit to fund everything from a facility to supplies to waste management and more, including proposed workforce and tax benefits for the government.

That's the only possible "loophole":

Instead of importing "used cars" you'd be importing essential & unique supplies vital to the success of your endeavor.

Maybe...

SteinNebraska
@Aidan in HCMC
Our goal is to restore the vehicles in Vietnam and then import them directly back to AU. We are in the process of trying to find a loophole. We want to take advantage of the cheap labor as restoring old cars in AU is crazy expensive. I will keep you informed on our progress.
Best regards
Shane.
-@shanetrout1969

I love the idea and have restored a couple of cars myself but it will be difficult. Even if you could import the car itself, every single tiny bit that you would need for restoration would have to be imported. Every nut and bolt, any repair part, every simple underhood component. No auto parts store would carry any common part that you would need. No network of enthusiats with barns full of used or NOS parts to draw from. No salvage yards for used components. Plus having to outfit a shop with all imperial tools. A huge undertaking.  Then you have the issue with the VN customs trying to import used components for the restoration.  It is almost impossible to import used items.  All of the savings of cheap labor will be eaten up with import costs and huge delays waiting weeks for the next part that you found out you needed.

qnbui

Have you looked into Mexico? There are a few shops there that restore classic cars. Wouldn't be as cheap as VN I assume but they have some experience in it.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Traveling to Vietnam
    Traveling to Vietnam

Many citizens from across the globe require visas to enter Vietnam, so it is strongly advised to have everything ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles