Menu
Expat.com

Maintaining my PR application status

Last activity 16 November 2022 by bryantlc93

karencaution

Hi, I got accepted as a PR this year. However, I'm not very clear on how to maintain my PR status. I read somewhere on my documents that in order to extend my PR after 5 years, I've to pay taxes/CPF for the last 3 years. My friend who is a PR said, she got a few friends who didn't pay but still want to extend the PR. They were interviewed and as a result, got extension like 1 year instead of 5 years. If I pay taxes/CPF consistently, there should be no problem for my PR to be extended.

My questions are:

1. I'm planning to go back to uni, if at the end of 5 year period of my PR I haven't finished my studies or only paid taxes/CPF only for the last 1 year, its still problematic right? At worst case scenario, will I be converted to student pass in case I'm still studying?

2. Is it possible for me to study while working, so that I still can pay my CPF? Do people do this to maintain their PR status?

3. Regarding question 2, I'm confused about how much salary is required to pay CPF? If my part time job salary is 500$/month, is it still able to use to pay CPF? If my salary changed from 5000 to 2000 due to changing to part time job, will it cause problem when I try to extend my PR?

Thanks a lot

beppi

First, let me clear up a common miscopnception here:

Your PR status does NOT expire after 5 years, only your re-entry permit does.

It is possible to stay in Singapore as PR indefinitely without re-entry permit, as long as you never leave the country! (Whether that is practical, in such a small country, is of course another matter.)

If you got your PR through the PTS scheme (meaning because you worked here long enough) and worked, paid tax (and CPF if applicable) for three of the five years, then your re-entry permit is renewed without further questions asked.

If you did not, they will need additional information to evaluate your commitment to Singapore. Thus the interviews. If you are studying to further your career in Singapore, you have good chances to be approved.

(Note: PRs by family ties, e.g. being married to a Singaporean, get their re-entry permit renewed without such conditions - and sometimes even while living abroad.)

karencaution

@beppi I see, thanks Beppi.

It is possible to stay in Singapore as PR indefinitely without re-entry permit, as long as you never leave the country! (Whether that is practical, in such a small country, is of course another matter.)

Sorry, I still haven't understand this. You mean literally never leave the country? as in I leave for 1 week vacation and go back to SIngapore, my re-entry permit will start to expire 5 years from that vacation?

bryantlc93

If your Re-Entry Permit expires while you're still physically in Singapore, you're still considered a PR. If your Re-Entry Permit expires while you're not physically in Singapore or that you left Singapore without renewing your permit, you would not be able to return to Singapore as a PR but only as a visitor.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Work visas for Singapore
    Work visas for Singapore

As an expat, you must have a job to pay for your rent, bills, and leisure activities, but you can't just move ...

• Work visas in Singapore
    Work visas in Singapore

PEP applicants are assessed on the following criteria:

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles