Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Last activity 01 January 2024 by expander28

Leaving Los Angeles

hi everyone, sorry i didn't see this - my introduction is in the "new topics" section, asking about Siargao Island.  pls check it out if you can, just looking for feedback.  thanks in advance smile.png

bigpearl

As said in another thread, welcome.

As for your headliner last time I was in LA was 15/6 years ago for a few days before I headed east, not going to say to much except I won't be going back as I'm sure it's worse these days?

As for Siargao island you have been there based on your 2019 trip and can probably educate the majority here and I hope some locals there give you decent feedback to help.

Cheers, Steve.

Leaving Los Angeles

@bigpearl i love and hate LA. but you're right, it's gotten worse.  life's much too short to stay unhappy where you are.  thank you for your replies smile.png

nurhusenibrahim327

@Julien

Hey i love in Ethiopia but ineed to work and live in philpines

mugteck
@Julien
Hey i love in Ethiopia but ineed to work and live in philpines
-@nurhusenibrahim327

Plenty of love in the Philippines,  not much work.

laurencedbriggs

@Julien

Hi everyone,  I am a Brit American,  moved here October 2022.

In a great relationship with a wonderful Filipina that I first met on FB 3 years ago. I live in a townhouse near the center of Antipolo (near Manila).

I have restored a Toyota OTJ - i would have preferred a motorcycle but the combination of the state of the roads and my aging back put that out of the question - currently going through registration. Planning many road trips.

73 years old , I have lived on four continents and traveled to many countries.

As close to being vegetarian (pescatarian) as humanly possible here haha.

Moved from Colorado where my son and has family live.

It's fun learning Tagolog - very entertaining for the locals 😀

Laurence Briggs

bigpearl

Welcome and share/contribute.

Cheers, Steve.

pnwcyclist

Welcome to the forum, Laurence.

Bit more humid than Colorado here, eh?

GuestPoster814

Hi, My name is Beth from the Philippines. I'm here to know more about your culture and the people.

I've watched so much dramas and movies from your country and they are truly amazing.

I also offer English Tutoring services for individuals who wish to practice their conversation skills with a foreign teacher. Thanks a lot and looking forward to interacting with you all. Have a great day!

pnwcyclist

Welcome to the forum, Beth.

B Dmitriy

Hello everyone. My name is Dmitry. I'm from Russia. Living in the Philippines for 8 months.

I live in Nueva Vizcaya. I'm looking for some farming advice. I'm interested in growing beets, because we Russians are DYING without beets in the Philippines.

Thank you.

Enzyte Bob

@B Dmitriy

Ah a cold glass of Borscht with Sour Cream, yes yes yes

pnwcyclist

Welcome to the forum Dimitry. I don't know specifically about beets, but perhaps they can be grown at the higher elevations in the Philippines, as are many other vegetables that need  a cooler climate.

Réal Marchand

@B Dmitriy welcome on the forum 1🤟🇵🇭🤪

georgemiller

New member here. My name is George, and I'm from South Korea. I've been living in the Philippines since 2015, and I'm getting married to my Filipina girlfriend next month. I'm excited to join this forum and learn more about the Philippines and its culture.

Bhavna

@georgemiller

Welcome on board George !

Hope you'll the forum informative !

Where are you located in Philippines ?

Regards

Bhavna

Moon Dog

@georgemiller

Welcome to the forum George. I spent almost 2 years in South Korea myself. I sure miss the kimche and makkoli.

lilraisin63

@Julien

Howdy all!!

We're Expats from the Dallas Texas area!

Looking forward to all sorts of info on "how-to", "where-to", and just basic "beware-of" type of discussions.

We're owners of SMDC condo units in MOA and as much as we were excited about the investment opportunities it drew us into buying, the reality is remarkably different and somewhat disappointing.

Anyway - we'll be reading blogs and whatever the forum has to offer as far as experiences and what y'all had to do to make life in the Philippines an enjoyable one.

Cheers!

Pat and Bar

bigpearl

Welcome to the forum Pat and Bar.

Yep plenty to read here, good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

BelfastCebu

Hello all, im originally from Northern Ireland, Mid 30's. Intending to move to Cebu/Lapu-Lapu within the next year or so as my partner is based there (tiring of the UK 180 day rule and the back and forth etc). Previously based in London and I'm looking to permanently relocate to Cebu. Would be curious to meet a few expats in and around Cebu/Lapu-Lapu.

Bhavna

@BelfastCebu

Hello and welcome on board !

Feel free to have a look at the active threads of the Cebu forum. You may also open your own topic on the forum to interact with members or to seek advice.

All the best

Bhavna

mcreybarraquias8

@Julien

Hi to members on this forum

I am Restituto D Barraquias 59 years old living in Philippines my country a formerly colony or territory of America from Dec10 1898 up to 1946. My father service from 1942 up to 1946 of  armed Force of America but VA informed my father  did not service of 90 days USAFFE and Guerilla and New Philippines are not compensable only served of 90 days and died on service connected are compensable.

I am disabled person Lost of hearing from 7year old in 1970 up to know I am living in Dumaguete city Philippines I am belong to poverty line as indigent I am senior high from 1980 up to 1984

bigpearl

@Julien
Hi to members on this forum
I am Restituto D Barraquias 59 years old living in Philippines my country a formerly colony or territory of America from Dec10 1898 up to 1946. My father service from 1942 up to 1946 of  armed Force of America but VA informed my father  did not service of 90 days USAFFE and Guerilla and New Philippines are not compensable only served of 90 days and died on service connected are compensable.

I am disabled person Lost of hearing from 7year old in 1970 up to know I am living in Dumaguete city Philippines I am belong to poverty line as indigent I am senior high from 1980 up to 1984

-@mcreybarraquias8

Welcome to the forum, can you ask your question/s and what you search for please.

Chears, Steve.

defre

@RUBICON 4 EVER hi better for married pass by yours ambassy if you want this be recognize

edwardkgill

Hi, I'm from the Canada

AlbertaDonuts

Hi Edward, where in Canada?  I am from Alberta, moving to the Phills in 2 weeks. 

Where in the phills do you live or considering?

Welcome to the forum.

Donald

mumzy1

I am new to Expat [[respect what do the [words expat ''mean'' ]

mum.zy1 = Terence

Moon Dog

@mumzy1

Welcome to the forum Terence.

Expat is short for expatriate. An expatriate is someone who left their country of origin to live in another country.

mcreybarraquias8

@mumzy1

I am Restituto D Barraquias merried before 59 years old living in Philippines

I am son of wwII veterans who never to enjoy any benefits from VA Manila Due always denied. I am disabled lost of hearing from 7 Year old in 1970 up to now.I am jobless belong to poverty line in our community I am indigent. Live at Dumaguete city  Negros oriental.

Enzyte Bob

mcreybarraquias8  said.  .  .  . I am Restituto D Barraquias merried before 59 years old living in PhilippinesI am son of wwII veterans who never to enjoy any benefits from VA Manila Due always denied. I am disabled lost of hearing from 7 Year old in 1970 up to now.I am jobless belong to poverty line in our community I am indigent. Live at Dumaguete city  Negros oriental.

Restituto I Googled you and for members of this forum, Restituto is the real deal and not some scammer spammer.

His legal case can be found and read by Googling his full name. His first legal case decision was on Sept 26, 2003 and he appealed that and again was turned down on Dec 4, 2008.

It seemed Restituto has reached the end of his legal challenges.

Restituto since since you live in Dumaguete City home of many Expat Youtubers , I suggest you become a guest on many of the Youtube channels.

Thousands and thousands of views, maybe somebody can offer some kind of assistance.

mcreybarraquias8

@Enzyte Bob

Hopefully sir

Jason Loong

Hey everyone!! My name is Jason, I am an adoptee, I grew up California and Singapore, I  was an ex professional golfer touring around Asia and asianpga for a while in my early 20's , then went into engineering 8 for years before arriving in manila a week ago!

I hope to move here someday and I'm on a job search! I would appreciate some dm's or some form of help with finding a job here!

AlbertaDonuts

Welcome Jason,

I have been on this forum for years, only moving to the Phills now.  I believe it is pretty difficult to get a job in the Phills and the pay would be small compared to western standards.

All the best in your search.

Donald

Moon Dog

@Jason Loong

Welcome to the forum Jason.

There must be some decent golf courses here in the Philippines. When I was working in Ulsan, South Korea I knew Koreans who would fly to the Philippines just to play golf. I've heard that it was very expensive to play golf in Korea and a long wait time.

I had an apartment in Ulsan and did my own cooking. My favorite grocery store had free underground parking. There was some kind of video golf on an upper level. I would see Koreans arrive in full golfing attire, get their clubs out of the trunk and go up to play video golf.

Sihw

@Julien

Hi All, I am Weny, Indonesian. moved from Jakarta for work 3 years contract. Currently stay in Ortigas.

ps. looking for a friends/group to play badminton.

rhaas23

Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you all in good health and high spirits. Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Robert , and I am excited to join this forum and connect with like-minded individuals.

I am currently seeking work opportunities in the Philippines as I am planning to relocate to be closer to my fiance. With 17 years of experience in the military and my current role as a system and network administrator, I have developed a diverse skill set that I believe would be valuable to organizations in the Philippines.

Throughout my military career, I have had the privilege of working in various challenging environments, honing my leadership skills and fostering a strong sense of discipline and attention to detail. As a system and network administrator, I have strengthened my technical expertise, ensuring the smooth operation of complex systems and networks while remaining adaptable to emerging technologies.

My professional journey has instilled in me a deep passion for making a positive impact. I am eager to utilize my skills and experiences to contribute to the growth and success of an organization in the Philippines, while also embracing the opportunity to immerse myself in the rich culture and vibrant community.

I am open to exploring opportunities across different sectors, including monitoring and evaluation, project management, and technology-related roles. I am confident that my diverse background, coupled with my strong work ethic and commitment to excellence, will enable me to thrive in any new challenge that comes my way.

If any of you have insights, recommendations, or connections related to job opportunities in the Philippines, I would be immensely grateful for your guidance. I believe in the power of networking and collaboration, and I look forward to engaging with fellow forum members to exchange knowledge and experiences.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction. I am thrilled to be part of this forum and to connect with all of you.

Best regards,

Robert

tdoogity

Hello all. I'm Tim. I currently reside in Davao City with my wife of 10 years. I've been here since September 2023. I am hoping to meet other expats in the area for fellowship, relief from homesickness and possible wealth opportunities. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Tim D.

Moon Dog

Welcome to the forum Tim. It took me a couple years to get homesick, it only took you a couple months smile.png.

Enzyte Bob

tdoogity said. . . . Hello all. I'm Tim. I currently reside in Davao City with my wife of 10 years. I've been here since September 2023. I am hoping to meet other expats in the area for fellowship, relief from homesickness and possible wealth opportunities. I look forward to meeting you guys.Tim D.

Well Tim there is a period of adjustment. The culture shock is quite noticeable for you compared before your September 2023 arrival.

You haven't seen nothing yet.

My wife is a Filipina and we've been married 16 years and moved here five years ago from the states. Although my wife is a Filipina from time to time she wishes we were back in the states.

She misses shopping at Walmart and her weekend garage sales. What I can say to you, each passing day, month, year and many years the memories of your past life and the acceptance of your new life will crisscross.       

Wealth opportunities? That's your monthly ss check.

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles