Started My plans For Retire to the Philippines From USA

Hello Everyone .....  I am in process on planning some time next year in 2024 my final retirement location to, The BEAUTIFUL Philippines !! Just a bit about myself, I am a 67 year young, currently existing, in the USA. I want to continue my life, living, in the Philippines for multiple reasons. My Mother is Spaniard but was born and raised in the Philippines. My Father is 1/2 Spaniard - 1/4 Filipino - 1/4 Irish/English and was also born in the Philippines ( I guess this would make me 1/16 Filipino - LOL, I don't know ). My Father was a Manager at the 1st Coca-Cola Plant in Manila and he also was a know Basketball Player playing on the Manila Basketball team ( position he played was center ). With a total of 5 children in our Family, me being the youngest, all were born in the Philippines, EXCEPT ME. I was born in the States after my Parents relocated the Family to the USA in 1953. I believe we are Mestizo. I am familiar with many Filipino customs, I cook some of the food and even though I was not born and raised in the Philippines it is naturally in my blood. My Mother always held on to instilling many of the customs on us children. I am researching area's to retire in like Davao, Valencia, Dumaguete and Bacolod City. All I know is I want to be in a Province. I have begun my spreadsheet containing everything needed to to relocate but I know I am going to have many questions during this journey. I hope I can get many of the answers here on this forum to help make our transition as easy and smart. I Thank You ALL in advance and I am looking forward to corresponding with Very Nice people here on the forum. Salamat

Philippines is over hyped...not really the best place to retire as many claim.

I WISH YOU WELL.  GOD BLESS YOUR ENDEAVORS AND CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT FAMILY STORY/HISTORY.  YOU ARE THE ENVY OF MANY PEOPLE.   

Welcome to the forum Kaycee, interesting observation, have you ever spent any time in PH. While I have never been to Nigeria I would never can that country and all depends on ones personal circumstances and wants.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Find out all you can about the PH BEFORE "pulling the plug" n living there permanently. Even though you say your blood is PH, IF you have never actually lived there, do a few "test runs" of 3 to 6 months each. That's my best advice. If you only have lived in the USA, it can still be a culture shock STS. Good luck!

Mabuhay to the Forum RockinFray. Unlike many first timers to the Philippines, given your parentage you are one lucky guy!

You will have some ‘immunisation' to the incessant crowing roosters & barking dogs, bland (with a few exceptions) food, lousy infrastructure, red tape bureaucracy enough to tempt the patience of Jobe, intemperate climate, excessive noise that permeates every facet of society manifested by the bain of anyone who enjoys rhythm & melody in their music ,yes - toneless Karaoke.

Don't forget your toothbrush ;)

If your dad is 1/4 Filipino your 1/8. If your mom is Spanish but born in the Philippines, could she be Mestizo? Also, since both your parents were born in the Philippines couldn't you become a dual citizen? That way you could buy land and have more rights. Don't let the negative comments sway your decision to move. The Filipino people are why expats choose the Philippines. Best of luck, hope to beat your there, fall of this year.

@RockinFray  Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a good plan. Since both of your parents were born in the Philippines does that give you an easy path to citizenship here? That is if you're not already a citizen.

I to am planning to move, but slowly, ie, a few months there, then back in UK, to get a feel of life there. Longterm - only issue I have is do I buy or rent - I have met a Philippine, been a year now, (I live in UK, she is in Philippines, working, etc).  I need to research more... Best of luck.. sure you will love living there. 

I'm coming to Naval, Biliran around Late March/April 2023. I met my future wife on Christian Filipinno almost 5 months ago and this is where she lives. I know they call this area Typhoon Alley, but I live here in Missouri aka Tornado Alley lol.  I have live chatted with her every single day sine we met online, I've met her parents and sibblings and they have all welcomed me into the family. I know there are scammers all over the world, but I know she's the real deal! She has been working a good job for over 7 years now, lives at home and has a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education, English is very good for a Provence Girl.  She has never asked me for any money and has been helping me to lose weight too. I believe that God Still Works Miracles and She is Mine!  I'm looking for either fully furnished apartments or houses to rent heap by the month. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm Medically Retired Army National Guard, 55 years old.

@Kaycee22

Thank You for your personal opinion. Have a Blessed day

@TitoDan

Thank You for the well wishes. I have received a few posts showing the envy, with negative remarks, all from non filipino's.

Thank You Once Again,

Have a Blessed Day and Life

@bigpearl

Strange choice of wording.

May You Be Blessed.

Have a Nice Day

@Harbred6051

Not sure why people think I am taking this journey blindly with no research, or friends of family there. Also, having almost 2 years for preparing for this is NOT a blind leap, to me.

Thank You for your input

Have A Blessed Day

@Lotus Eater

It is quite amusing to receive advice from people who failed at understanding the Filipino culture and people. I see your mate is Filipina, how does she feel about your lack of respect for her born culture and the Filipino people? I can tell you are NOT filipino just from your words, as Filipino's have MUCH MORE respect for others, and themselves, rather than spend time trying to rain on others parades and dreams. It is to bad you have such a sour disposition and outlook in life. I do hope you learn how to find happiness in life, like most Filipino people.

Praying To The Lord Does Help.

Have A Nice, Blessed Day

@Lat61

Hello.... Ok, 1/8, and yes, as I posted my mother is Mestiza. Dual Citizenship: No, I can not. I looked it up and only if I was born in 1973 or later. Negative Comments: No I wont. I am a strong minded and willed person. The only negative comments I am getting is from non-Filipino people, who probably failed at their attempt to relocate there or went there for selfish reasons. 1 1/2 years preparation for this journey, in my opinion, is a good amount of time to do it as smoothly as possible. Thank You for your kind words and wishes.

Have A Blessed Day

@Moon Dog

Hello, No it does not. One has to be born in 1973 or later to qualify for Dual Citizenship.

Have A Blessed Day

@RockinFray hello i am french . How are you ?

@glennhartwick67

I live on Biliran Island and visit Naval frequently. I made 2 trips there yesterday in my multicab picking up building material from Citihardware and Brodeth. The material is for the roof of the 2 story dirty kitchen we're building in the back yard. It is being built to withstand the typhoons which aren't as much of a problem in Biliran as you may think. The storms have to pass over the large island of Samar to get to us. There are some very old rickety wooden houses here in my barangay that are still standing.

Naval is a nice little town but very busy and crowded. There are more pedicabs in Naval then any town I've yet seen so you have to be patient. If you're driving a car you have to travel at pedicab speed because it is next to impossible to pass. I came into Naval from a different direction yesterday and I commented to my wife that everyone was parking in the same direction on both sides of the street. I then realised I was going the wrong way on a one way street, but no one seemed to care. If you like fresh fruit and vegetables Naval is the place. We always bring home a bag of mangoes when we visit Naval.

It sounds like you met a really great girl. I wish you much happiness in your future and if there is anything I can do just let me know. I'm an Army vet also.

@Rudy Dagniaux

I am doing just fine

@Moon Dog

Hi..... I am not sure you were responding to my posting because I do not have a girlfriend. Just me and my dog. You are further north than what I am choosing from. Your project sounds like what I love to do myself, building projects. Best of luck to you and yours, and your life in the Philippines.

@Lotus Eater
It is quite amusing to receive advice from people who failed at understanding the Filipino culture and people. I see your mate is Filipina, how does she feel about your lack of respect for her born culture and the Filipino people? I can tell you are NOT filipino just from your words, as Filipino's have MUCH MORE respect for others, and themselves, rather than spend time trying to rain on others parades and dreams. It is to bad you have such a sour disposition and outlook in life. I do hope you learn how to find happiness in life, like most Filipino people.
Praying To The Lord Does Help.
Have A Nice, Blessed Day
-@RockinFray

We're all sinners on this Forum RockinFray. The good lord has sent you to show us the errors of our ways. Bless you my child.

In my defence I have been a regular visitor to the Philippines for 23 years so I ‘assumed' that I was eligible to imbue you with my observations and experiences on the country. It is quite apparent that my comments were not what you wanted to hear. In which case why come on this Forum and ask the question?

You ‘assumed' that my ‘mate' is Filipina. She is in fact Indonesian.

@bigpearl

Strange choice of wording.

May You Be Blessed.

Have a Nice Day

-@RockinFray

Why strange choice of wording, your country flag is Nigerian in your bio, but state your family migrated to the US, you won't find too many Filipinos on this site as it's an expat site aimed at those wanting to move to and live in the Philippines, not so much for local Filipinos.

Aside you never answered my question, "have you ever spent time in the Philippines?" At all?

Knowing the culture and people seems it's only from your parents perspective living in another country whether Nigeria, Finland or the US as you stated.

My family is from England, US and Scotland (both sides and grandparents) I have been to all those countries and would never live there, Australia is bad enough.

You also came to this site asking for recommendations/suggestions/help but seems you take the answers the wrong way.

Good luck and hope what ever God you follow blesses you.

Cheers, Steve.

@Moon Dog
Hi..... I am not sure you were responding to my posting because I do not have a girlfriend. Just me and my dog. You are further north than what I am choosing from. Your project sounds like what I love to do myself, building projects. Best of luck to you and yours, and your life in the Philippines.
-@RockinFray

He was not responding to you, look again.

@RockinFray

At the top of my post you can see my message was directed to @glennhartwick67 who also posted a message in this thread. His post should have been in the new members introduction section but since I don't see many Biliran Island messages I responded to his post.

I do have a question for you. According to RA 9225 those born to Filipino parents after 1973 were Philippine citizens at birth but I don't see anything written that prevents those born before 1973 from applying for dual citizenship.  I sent an email to BI Main asking for clarification.

@Moon Dog

Sorry about that. Learning my way around this forum

And it will be a steep learning curve for you IF you ever do set foot in the country. Just because the Philippines is 95% catholic do not delude yourself that all Filipinos practise what they preach. Life is cheap, not sacred, as the good lord will have you believe my friend.

An example. The Philippines is one of the deadliest places to be a journalist: 197 have been murdered in the country since it restored democracy in 1986.

The latest ‘hit' was ordered by the head of the prison service, Gerald Bantag, who has been formally charged with the murder of Percival Mabasa,a radio journalist,on October 3rd last year.

The ‘christian' Mr Bantag presided over the vast new Bilibid prison where 176 prisoner corpses were found rotting in the prison mortuary. A 30 metre deep hole was found next to his residence at the jail.

On a more mundane, but no less morbid level, many expats who have kept a low profile have ended up at your ‘Pearly Gates' ahead of schedule because of business deals gone wrong or spouses seeing no more need for their ‘mate'. Never underestimate a Filipina to turn into the proverbial equivalent of the female Black Widow spider.

I'm sure that these are things that your christian Mama & Papa never told you. I have.

Welcome to the Philippines.

@Lotus Eater

You sound like a very unhappy sour person.

@Lotus Eater
You sound like a very unhappy sour person.
-@RockinFray

An open forum, take others opinion on the cheek or as others say turn the other one, golly where did I hear that?

Reality does sometimes bite.

Cheers, Steve.

Welcome to the forum, and the Philippines,  RockinFray.

Great first post, I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Some of you posters sound so negative. What is it? You trying to prevent others from enjoying life and being adventurist? Please people, If you have nothing good to say, please, stay away from my post. Some can easily judge people not even really knowing ANYTHING about who they are posting to. So please, find something constructive to do. Now lets see if you can do that.

If you do retire here, you will find many good things but you will also find that many of the negatives statements have merit as well. All countries have positives and negatives, the difference is that where you come from have different positives and negatives than the Philippines. Many here prefer the Philippines positves vs negatives. I do. But you should have a balanced perspective before you decide to uproot your life and move here.

Rose coloured glasses and all that, to the OP come get your hands dirty and taste the flavours. Being raised in a different country Is not the Philippines, I have no major problems living here but it's certainly different to first world countries.

Filipino parents mean diddly squat if they raised you in a different country and they also learnt and adapted to a new culture, best come here first on a holiday and lick the dirt, try this culture as well as all the foibles and mistakes, It does grow on you if you are prepared to give, live and let live and at times put your head in a bowl.

I'll give you a simple example, the workers here are building retaining walls. We put in 25mm pipes on the tie beam for drainage, Did it a few times already but today with all the weep hole pipes cut they started laying the concrete blocks, where are the drain holes I asked and the pipes are sitting on the previous retaining wall,,,,,,,

sorry Steve we forgot,,,,, as you do every day.

I b@tched about this before that the Philippines telcos don't have voicemail that we have had in

Australia for 30 or 40 years. Pre paid mobile I have to top up. Unli internet is not an automatic credit card transaction to renew, when it runs out I have to go to my phone data to renew, when Ben goes to the bank to withdraw 5 or 6 hundred K it's the inquisition (what a joy as Mel Brooks stated in the movie the "History of the world part 1"} Inept here big time, Continual mistakes big time, Excuses big time and the list goes on at a business level. Inability to honour warrantees etc. Not western business practices. The people and culture is unique and as said get your hands dirty and see.

I have only been knocking around here for 12 years and so far the Pro's outweigh the cons but not for all.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Some of you posters sound so negative. What is it? You trying to prevent others from enjoying life and being adventurist? Please people, If you have nothing good to say, please, stay away from my post. Some can easily judge people not even really knowing ANYTHING about who they are posting to. So please, find something constructive to do. Now lets see if you can do that.
-@RockinFray

Ok here is some 'constructive' advice RockinFray. If and when you do visit the country make sure you book a return ticket to leave 7 days after your arrival. That's because your wallet will be empty in one week.

I think we all deal with the good and the bad but what a couple guys are trying to tell you, RF, is that you shouldn't put all of your eggs in one basket, or think you know how it's going to be, until you experience it for yourself. You might love it or hate it.  Many guys can't take all the problems and issues and leave after 6 weeks or 6 months, or 6 years. Others feel they have found nirvana.

The OP said early in his post that he is currently existing in the USA and he wants to continue to live his life in the Philippines.

The OP said his mother was a Spaniard so was she born in Spain or were both of her parents born in Spain? Same question about his father being half Spaniard.

The OP said he wanted to live in the Philippines for multiple reasons, but didn't give a clue of why he wanted to live in the Philippines other thing is his family lineage.

OP is 67 now and is planning on moving to the Philippines in 2024.

Have a blessed day? More people in the Philippines have received miracles praying to the Jollibee Mascot than any religious statue.

I interrupt this irrelevant post by announcing my wife bought two large white onions for P150 at Lander's today, thanks to the Jollibee Mascot for answering her prayers.

@Enzyte Bob  OMG! They're selling WHITE onions in the PH again?! When i was visiting there last month all i could find was red onions the size of my b@!!s !! Lol. Talk about progress being made in the markets! Maybe at some point the stores will be selling foot long bananas without the scars!

Welcome to the forum RockinFray. Would you say you grew up in the US in a Filipino household with Filipino habits and traditions? If so, you're one step forward into learning how to live in the Philippines. Even better if you were hanging out with Filipinos where you live, especially those who are fresh off the boat. Either way, don't let the other folks in the forum discourage you. They're just acting their age. I am as old as they are too by the way. LOL. We're just talking here. Back in the 90's I was working with lead person from Sweden, grumpy guy. His motto is: Be Happy.

Cheers!

Hi Jackson4.......Thank You for the kind encouraging words. yes, i have a few Filipino friends here, but they are not fresh off the boat. In regards to sour members here on the forum, I do not let their posts sway me from doing what I want to do. I honestly think they dont want any more expats there due to their immature ways of thinking, to bad, i'm on my way there next year !!!!

@Lotus Eater ...Are you speaking from experience? I think so, HA HA