Need contacts for visit to Cuenca

Interested in travel to Cuenca and Ecuador in general.  I'm interesrted in possibly moving there. Would like to see real-estate in Cuenca and other areas..maybe coast and land.  Will be coming at end of August if I can find the right contacts that I can trust so that I am somewhat comfortable knowing I'll have some guidance and help.  I'm from the  U.S. but also have  French citizenship.  Can you help with any of this?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael and welcome to Expat.com!

Your thread has been moved to Cuenca forum for better visibility.

Maybe that articles in our participative life guide in Ecuador may be useful to you.

I hope that other members will help you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Thanks for your help.  There seems to be quite a lot to  read about Cuenca.  I need contacts and e-mails so that I have someone I know will be there when I get in.

Michael Guttman

Michael,

Check out Mary's blogroll called "South of Zero" - most of the Expat.coms are about life in Cuenca. There you can read other's experiences about living in Cuenca, their move to Cuenca, adjustments, etc. Once you feel a connection to someone, make a comment on their blog, ask them for help, Most are willing to show you around or at least give you some pointers and people to talk to.

Don't buy ANYTHING. Make the move first and rent. That goes for Cuenca, coast, anywhere. It will take time to figure out who you can 'really' trust.

Tami

Thanks for your help.  Do you currently live in Ecuador?  IF so did you buy there?  If I were to come direct to Cuenca would I be able to hook up with expats that could get me around and to the coast etc.

Michael Guttman

Michael,

I do not yet live in Ecuador, but in the process of relocating to the coast (Salinas area), and will be living there full time in Aug/Sept 2012.

Research is a must. I spent many, many months researching and reading before asking any questions, because most of the information is out there in the various forums - I find that people are more than willing to help others, but they must first do some work themselves. My husband and I always rent a car and do things ourselves, to see what REAL life is like in the country we are exploring. We rent a place. We shop at the local stores. We do things that we would have to do if we actually lived there.

Don't believe everything you read in the magazines/websites.  If you have not traveled to Latin America, then please get to know the culture before jumping in and buying something. Each country is different, and you should rent a place for a while to see if that area is right for you.

Read the blogs. See what others have experienced. Then, you will be armed with information so you can ask the right questions pertaining to YOUR needs. Don't expect anyone other than an 'agent' to take you around and be a tour guide, and that person has a vested interest in showing you only what THEY want you to see.

Again - read up. The info is out there - get on Yahoo groups and check out the various ecuador forums - there are quite a few.
Good luck, and happy travels,
Tami

Michael, I'll be glad to help you in any way I can.  Contact me at eddsaid@gmail.com and if you don't already do so perhaps read my blog:  eddsaid.blogspot.com.  Look forward to meeting you soon!

Thank you for your offer to assist me.  I will  be arriving to Cuenca on the 5th of Sept. My e-mail address is mmg6642@sbcglobal.net.  It would be nice hook up with you.  Does it  make sense to bring my computer if I'll be traveling?  I want to see the coast and other places as well.  I don't want to be worried about the computer if there are plenty of internet cafes around.  Is casual dress ok in most areas? 
Michael Guttman

Michael, when you get here contact me at the email address I gave you in my previous correspondence.  There are plenty of internet cafes so whether to bring yours or not is just a matter of convenience.  Casual dress is the norm.  Long sleeve shirt and jeans is the "uniform" here; short sleeve and shorts at the coast, although now the weather sucks there unless you go way north.  See you soon.  Edd

Why does the coast suck at this time of the year?  I was hoping to find someone to visit there with me after Cuenca.   

Michael

[Moderated: please register in the Business Directory]

The weather is lousy there now.  Overcast and cool.

Michael, I get as new member today and I see your post.
I think you are already in Ecuador.
I speak both Spanish and English and I living in Cuenca but I can give you info about the other important cities.
Feel free to contact me at my email: titovill66@hotmail.com or in this post.

Vinny

Hi Vinny,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I think it would be great if you could post some informations on the forum so that other members can benefit from it.

I keep reading check out Mary's blogroll called "South of Zero" I have looked and I sure can't find it anywhere. so can someone tell me where it is so I can read it.