Menu
Expat.com

EP Approval Chances

Last activity 07 May 2023 by ForGreatJ

ForGreatJ

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the forum quite a bit in regards with the EP approval, I have been seeing that some people do have an EP approval with no degree, but then again with 1 approved I'm sure there are many that are declined. 

Just to give a bit of a background I have been working for the same SG based company in the US for the last 6 years, and my role within the company is quite specialized.  Please see below for quick stats.

Citizenship: US

Degree: No (77 units completed)

Experience: 12 years (6 tech, 6 supply chain)

Salary: S$21,500/mos

Role: Principal Program Manager - Compliance

It is a combination of a tech role, and a compliance mgmt role.

This is also an intercompany transfer, I will just be moving from the US entity to the SG entity.  With this information what are my chances of getting this approval?

Thanks in advance.

Ann1990

There should not be any issue with approval. Your experience vs salary matches. For tech/compliance person with 12 year experience, salary is ok.. if the company applied with proper document, there should not be any issue with approval.

FYI -> Ep application can take 3 weeks.

If rejected due to wrong/missing documents, company can reapply. if they ask additional document, it takes another 3 weeks. So application can take some time depending on how prompt your company is applying but your EP will get approved.

Also, you can check EP status online by giving your application number and passport details. It will show as "pending" if it is not processed yet

leanniesantos

@Ann1990 how about rejected and appeal? Is it the same on 3 weeks process or shorter if appeal?

Ann1990

@leanniesantos It takes 3 weeks.. what i have seen from 2018 is always takes 3 weeks for any change.

beppi

Contrary to what Ann1990 claims above, we have seen applications processed between only a few days to six months, with the majority taking 5 - 8 weeks. Search the forum to get an idea (and possibly make a statistics).

MOjinnaka

Hello ForGreatJ,

It sounds like you have  your foot in the door and shouldn't have any issue getting your EP approved. I applied for an EP for myself through my own company that I setup.

I have 66 credit hours, but focused on specialized courses for business development, etc and so never received my actual bachelors degree. I did however have 20+ years experience in business development, have started and developed several businesses over the course of those 20 years.

With all of that being said, I believe the determining factor that helped me get EP approval was my direct tie to the new startup company that I established in Singapore.

So my best advice to you, would be to reach out to your direct contact in Singapore and have them include a detailed letter outlining the importance of your position, as well as your presence in Singapore. The letter should outline why your expertise and experience are unique as compared to that of a local Singaporean.

I can send you the letter we used for my company Director to get his Ep approved just recently.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to chat me direct.

ForGreatJ

@MOjinnaka

Thank you so much, I do believe my role is imperative within the company hence why they are offering my US salary, and more (housing allowance, car allowance, stipend, hardship allowance) which is not included in the fixed monthly cost. 

One of the thing that my HR did highlight is that within the entire company, I'm the only US Citizen holding a principal position that also maintains certifications with US gov (require US citizenship and clearance) so they are hoping that can substitute the degree as maybe only a handful of people in SG have the same type of clearance I do.

I did also receive the message! We are in similar situation albeit your experiences are much more grandiose than mine! I hope it does go well because I've been in Limbo for a few weeks, and I need to know whether to vacate or extend the lease at my current place in LA.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Work visas for Singapore
    Work visas for Singapore

As an expat, you must have a job to pay for your rent, bills, and leisure activities, but you can't just move ...

• Work visas in Singapore
    Work visas in Singapore

PEP applicants are assessed on the following criteria:

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles