Menu
Expat.com

SP renewal and PR application issue

Last activity 15 May 2023 by chacha_

chacha_

Hi,

My SP will expiry by the next week and my emoloyer suddenly found they haven't apply for renewal of my S pass. Today my HR said tomorrow will apply for renewal. Now I have some concerns about this.

1. As long the expiry date is coming for my current S pass. If the result of renewal haven't come out by the expiry date and does my employer can extension my validity of current S pass (eg expiry date will become longer) ? Or will they give me the STVP?

2. Currently I am applying PR and already pending for around 10 months and I just worried about what if my current S pass expired and I didn't get renewal IPA and issued renewed pass (which means pending for result). How will it affect my PR application? Will the application be withdrawn?

Thank you for advise!

beppi

@chacha_ 1. You will get a 30 days SVP on expiry of the current. Do NOT work after this - and MAKE SURE you leave Singapore when the 30 days are over (and you still don't have a new work pass)!

The employer can, in principle, get a temporary S-Pass to cover the gap, but they need to show that serious operational problems in their company would be caused by your temporary absence. (Your private matters play no role here.)

2. As long as you get the new S-Pass within the SVP validity, there would only be a minor influence on your PR application. But if you have to leave and have no more valid pass, your residence in Singapore ended and thus the PR application becomes invalid.

chacha_

@beppi Thank you! Let me summary.

1. If the renewal s pass get IPA letter and issurance before current pass expiry date. Then anything no need do.

2. If by the current pass expiry date still pending for renewal result. Then need request STVP from MOM.

3. During the STVP validity period, there is no affect on the current PR application as long as get the renewal pass result at this time.

Am I correct? Thank you for advise! 1f609.svg

And btw, When should request STVP? Before the pass expiry date or on the expiry date MOM will notify?

GVSR2011

Hello, i have faced same situation in 2020. My HR applied one week before EP expiry date. For this they can extend your current SP validity by 1 more month.please ask HR to check on this.Suppose if your pass is expiring on 31 May 2023, they can request to extend one more month i.e 30 Jun 2023.

chacha_

@GVSR2011 So I won't get the stvp after expiry date as long as my HR apply for extension before expiry date. Actually I prefer this result cos I can hold the current pass and wait for renewal result. Thank you!

GVSR2011

@chacha_ yes if your HR applies for 1 month extension, no need to stvp. But please check with your HR on this

chacha_

@chacha_ thank you so much! Very helpful.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Work visas for Singapore
    Work visas for Singapore

As an expat, you must have a job to pay for your rent, bills, and leisure activities, but you can't just move ...

• Work visas in Singapore
    Work visas in Singapore

PEP applicants are assessed on the following criteria:

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles