Menu
Expat.com

One way ticket and TRC

Last activity 22 July 2024 by OceanBeach92107

Earlyant

Had hassle before at check in at Heathrow with Qatar airways about my one month evisa and having a return flight far beyond the end of evisa date. Posted on here about that scary experience before. And want to avoid going through a similar experience again.

I won’t need a return ticket this time, as I have a 3 year, still valid, TRC.

Though, am I likely to have any problems at check in with not having a return ticket???

Because, as with my experience with Qatar airways and trying to explain needed to have an evisa in order to apply for a family visa, the check in staff probably wont have a clue what a TRC is or what it entitles the holder too.

Aidan in HCMC

@Earlyant

Hi Earlyant. That is a difficult question for us to answer. I mentioned in another thread to a member that airlines operate out of "an abundance of caution", as the onus would be on them to return you to your departure point should you be denied entry by VN immigration. I can tell you that a return ticket is not required for entry into VN.

I suggest you contact the airline(s) for clarification. Though not widely reported, airlines do have a waiver available for passengers to sign which would absolve them of responsibility in the (unlikely) event you are denied entry.

Please let us know how this plays out. It would be greatly appreciated.

redislandar

@Earlyant Interesting experience that I cannot shed any light atm since I have not encountered any issues from the airlines yet. I recently flew from Canada with a 1-mth Evisa and no return ticket and was a wee bit weary that I would have issues...similar to your experience. Luckily, no hassles whatsoever.

I am simply commenting because I am hoping your post will generate more discussion around this kind of situation. I am assuming that airlines have an obligation to check a visa for destination country but it kind of puzzles me as to why. Maybe someone can elaborate. I cannot imagine anyone traveling to a country where a visa is required...would not have one.

Anyway, I thought the visa would be an immigration issue as opposed to a transportation one. Regardless, I breezed though to Vietnam with a visa and no return ticket. Should I do it again...hmmm, must think about based on any discussion here.

redislandar

@Aidan in HCMC missed your post before I made my submission. Thanks Aidan...I was thinking that the airlines had an obligation and that is why they take precautions. Not a bad thing, frankly, since it is best to identify potential issues before one is in transit.

You are correct, as well, regarding not needing a return ticket to enter Vietnam. I think that may have been the case years ago but not anymore.

Lastly, any news on when a 3-mth visa will begin being issued. I understand that a decision to do so has passed most of the political/governmental hurdles and is now meandering it's way through the bureaucratic channels...which are usually a formality. I stand to be corrected on this comment.

Aidan in HCMC
Lastly, any news on when a 3-mth visa will begin being issued. I understand that a decision to do so has passed most of the political/governmental hurdles and is now meandering it's way through the bureaucratic channels...which are usually a formality. I stand to be corrected on this comment.
@redislandar

Yes indeed. A recent post from OceanBeach92107, here.

Earlyant
@Earlyant

I suggest you contact the airline(s) for clarification. Though not widely reported, airlines do have a waiver available for passengers to sign which would absolve them of responsibility in the (unlikely) event you are denied entry.

Please let us know how this plays out. It would be greatly appreciated.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Yes, I’ve heard about the waiver too. Shame that I was told to book an onwards ticket by bus to Phnom Penh before the evisa ran out.

Aidan in HCMC
Yes, I’ve heard about the waiver too. Shame that I was told to book an onwards ticket by bus to Phnom Penh before the evisa ran out.
-@Earlyant

The suggestion that you book to Phnom Penh is an indication of their not being familiar with the geography of the region. Much closer/cheaper to Saigon would have been the Moc Bai (Vietnam)/Bavet (Cambodia) int'l border checkpoint between the two nations.

Oh well, live and learn. At least you made it here back then.

Aidan in HCMC
@redislandar

Yes indeed. A recent post from OceanBeach92107, here.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Oops. Now moved to here.

ajairon

In my personal experience, I have traveled 2 times to Vietnam (Feb.2022 stop in Singapoure and Oct.2022 stop in Qatar) and I never have faced any problem in any of the operator or migration points (KLM, American Airlines, Qatar Arways, JetAir, Miami, Amsterdam, Qatar, Singapoure)

Vietnam is not a country that requires a proof of leaving the country, but in the worst of cases, you can buy a very cheap ticket, on line, to Singapour ($50 from Saigon, no visa requires) and used as that proof that really don't need but just to satisfy some annoys.

Aidan in HCMC

@ajairon

Agree 100%, or a bus ticket for ~$10, Saigon to Moc Bai.

goodolboy

You are correct, as well, regarding not needing a return ticket to enter Vietnam. I think that may have been the case years ago but not anymore.

-@redislandar

Since arriving in Vietnam 2008 I just worked out ( sad but nothing better to do today) I have entered & exited Vietnam mostly by air but on much less occasions by bus close on 100 times +- & I have never ever been asked to provide proof of exit.

saigondave2

I have flown into Vietnam a couple of times recently and if you do not have a visa, e-visa, TRC, etc (ie you have a passport with visa-free entry) the airline that you are travelling to Vietnam on will ask you for proof of onward travel before they let you on their plane.

This first happened to me in April when I flew from Bordeaux to Paris to Saigon. I checked in at BOD, no issue, no questions about Vietnam, bags checked to SGN. But, at Paris I was not allowed to board the VN Airlines plane without proof of onward travel out of Vietnam. Fifteen minutes and one bus ticket later, I was allowed to board. Upon arrival SGN immigration asked me nothing about my onward travel.

Conclusion: it's the airlines that are doing the enforcing, presumably because it's they who are liable for getting you back out of Vietnam.

goodolboy
I have flown into Vietnam a couple of times recently and if you do not have a visa, e-visa, TRC, etc (ie you have a passport with visa-free entry) the airline that you are travelling to Vietnam on will ask you for proof of onward travel before they let you on their plane.
This first happened to me in April when I flew from Bordeaux to Paris to Saigon. I checked in at BOD, no issue, no questions about Vietnam, bags checked to SGN. But, at Paris I was not allowed to board the VN Airlines plane without proof of onward travel out of Vietnam. Fifteen minutes and one bus ticket later, I was allowed to board. Upon arrival SGN immigration asked me nothing about my onward travel.

Conclusion: it's the airlines that are doing the enforcing, presumably because it's they who are liable for getting you back out of Vietnam.
-@saigondave2

My experience for what its worth............Not all airlines, I have entered Vietnam on visa free twice (Vietjet) & never been asked for proof of onward travel.

Frede001

Different people different experiences, over the last 10 Years approx then approx. 50% of the times I have been ask for how long I stay in Vietnam++.

All the times the TRC have been sufficient even when the TRC had less than a few weeks left.   

Brett Cohen

Hey Guys, I came across this thread which has been most helpful in finding the necessary information. However, I would just like to pose the question again just to double check I am all good to enter Vietnam.

I am a South African resident and will be leaving from Nice, France to Hanoi Vietnam. I have received my 3 month single use E- Visa to enter Vietnam and will be arriving in Hanoi on Friday 26 July.

Do I have to show proof of departure before my E- Visa comes to an end to gain entry into Vietnam. Judging by the responses I dont but just want to make sure.

Thank you so much!

Aidan in HCMC

Hey Guys, I came across this thread which has been most helpful in finding the necessary information. However, I would just like to pose the question again just to double check I am all good to enter Vietnam.I am a South African resident and will be leaving from Nice, France to Hanoi Vietnam. I have received my 3 month single use E- Visa to enter Vietnam and will be arriving in Hanoi on Friday 26 July.Do I have to show proof of departure before my E- Visa comes to an end to gain entry into Vietnam. Judging by the responses I dont but just want to make sure.Thank you so much!        -@Brett Cohen

Hi there Brett Cohen. Welcome to the VN expat.com forum.

You will not be required to show proof of onward travel to clear VN immigration/customs and enter VN.

That said, there have been reports of some airlines refusing passengers boarding if they do not have proof of onward travel. This is an airline policy, and not VN immigration policy. Best to check with your carrier(s) prior to your departure date.

Once you've received word back from your airline(s), we'd very much appreciate hearing back from you the details.

Hope this answers your question, and once again, welcome to the forum.

MarkinNam

@Aidan in HCMC Hi Aidan, just recently I had contact with a d1 travel agent online, I asked about visa extensions and she said they aren't done ,have you heard anything or is she 1 of the ignorant ? https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ this seems to be the place,does anyone have a run through for a newby as a guide ? cheers in advance

OceanBeach92107

@Aidan in HCMC Hi Aidan, just recently I had contact with a d1 travel agent online, I asked about visa extensions and she said they aren't done ,have you heard anything or is she 1 of the ignorant ? https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ this seems to be the place,does anyone have a run through for a newby as a guide ? cheers in advance

-@MarkinNam

That's Cambodia, Mark.

You just asked virtually the same question

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 79#5941649

Didn't you see the reply?

There are NO tourist visa EXTENSIONS in Vietnam.

There are a few visa agents who can help you do a same day turnaround at the border on a BRAND NEW TOURIST E-VISA

None of them are in Cambodia.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Traveling to Vietnam
    Traveling to Vietnam

Many citizens from across the globe require visas to enter Vietnam, so it is strongly advised to have everything ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles