Menu
Expat.com

Need some clarification on freelancing and visas, please.

Last activity 17 November 2023 by tahitibora1

Bennu

I'm a freelance writer and all my clients are outside of Cambodia. I don't own a business, I just get clients and gigs elsewhere. I'm looking at my options for staying long term and would like advice, please. I'm thinking of two scenarios.

1. Get an EB extension and work permit. Since I don't have an actual business, what would be my process for getting the extension and the work permit since I will not be working for anyone in Cambodia nor will my clients be there? I don't have anyone to provide a letter of invitation or any of the other stuff.
  2. Get an ER extension. I will turn 55 shortly after arriving and since I'm no one's employee, I'm technically unemployed. I was thinking of doing this. Would there be any issues of me going this route even though I'm doing writing work for non-Cambodian clients?

Thanks much for any help you can provide!

hdgh29

Depends if your income is transferred to a Cambodian bank. If not, your arrangements are completely private. Get an ER, carry on as normal, don't tell anyone. But if you have an income stream coming to, say, the ABA, at some point you may need to explain it, and there goes your visa.

J F95

I have done this through travel agency.

The process is very simple. You would hand over your passport to the agency and pay for both Visa and work permit. No other documentation needed as is the reason your paying to the agency. They do all the leg work.  Within a week you return to the agency, then you get your new Visa, Work permit and your passport back.

For work permit, you can be self-employed if you dont have any documentation for employment letter from a company.

JoeKhmer

@Bennu

Retirement extension of stay prohibits any employment.

You work in Cambodia so you need an EB extension of stay plus a work permit.

You need to register as your own company.

Find more info on the Facebook group Cambodia visa and work permit.

Good luck.

Joe

tahitibora1

@J F95 Hi, Could you share please where you got this done, i am interested to do the same as you...thanks

tahitibora1

@J F95 Could you share please where you got this done, i am interested to do the same as you...thanks

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cambodia

• Visas for Cambodia
    Visas for Cambodia

As you're no doubt aware, it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain the relevant visas for many ...

• Working in Phnom Penh
    Working in Phnom Penh

When it comes to expat living, Phnom Penh has it all. Thanks to an influx of foreign investment over the past ...

• Living in Phnom Penh
    Living in Phnom Penh

Before going to anywhere in the world, people always try to find out about those places first. Likewise, before ...

• Lifestyle in Cambodia
    Lifestyle in Cambodia

If you are about to settle in the Kingdom of Cambodia, you are probably wondering about its inhabitants' ...

• Opening a bank account in Cambodia
    Opening a bank account in Cambodia

As a foreigner living in Cambodia, opening a bank account is relatively straightforward and can save you quite a ...

• Student life in Phnom Penh
    Student life in Phnom Penh

Adjusting to life as a student can be difficult. Even more so if you are trying to do it in a new country, but ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Phnom Penh
    Popular neighbourhoods in Phnom Penh

As a new expat in Phnom Penh, you are going to need to know the best neighbourhoods to live in for your budget, ...

• Work in Cambodia
    Work in Cambodia

Opportunities are aplenty for foreigners who fall in love with Cambodia after visiting this magical kingdom, or ...

All of Cambodia's guide articles