Going to visit my fiancée in Hungary

What are the necessary requirements,writing from Nigeria

What are the necessary requirements,writing from Nigeria

-@christopher5jjj

Google the HU embassy web site for Nigeria.

You'll need a Schengen visa for HU.

@fluffy2560 alternatively your fiancee can also help. Being a fiancee is a serious thing and as your loved one she can find out some things easily I would think.

I would say easy for her to do. She being Hungarian should be in a good position, being married is the obvious route in my view.

@cdw057 sorry fluffy reply is not for you, but the initial poster

@christopher5jjj As mentioned in a reply, where is your fiancee? She should be able to help, being a Hungarian. She should really issue an invitation to you, not you going independently. Easy in EU/Schengen I would say. Talk with your fiancee and let her arrange for all.

@christopher5jjj As mentioned below, do not bother yourself, you have a fiancee in Hungary, she should do the prep work (which can be cumbusome I think) then again if she really loves you it should not be a real issue. Not to do many things for you. (I had some experience with my mother in law, many things to do (but in Hungary not in the country where mother in law or future husband lives)

For the moderator please follow, routes are easy and official and the biggest concern is the support (or not) from fiancee, I suspect the thread should be deleted

@cdw057 sorry fluffy reply is not for you, but the initial poster

-@cdw057

Yes, the OP (Original Poster) I believe is the correct parlance.

The Quote function works well (most of the time)

To state the obvious, the OP needs to ask the Hungarian Embassy. Everything else is speculation/guessing.

@cdw057okay, thanks

@cdw057So she needs to come down to Nigeria for a wedding, does Hungary recognise the marriage certificate from Nigeria

@cdw057So she needs to come down to Nigeria for a wedding, does Hungary recognise the marriage certificate from Nigeria         -@christopher5jjj

Ok, this is new information.

-

I've been to Nigeria and while it was some time ago, i needed a visa (as a UK citizen).  The only place I could get it was in Vienna at the International Centre.  That's because I am not a HU citizen. Case of YMMV.  I won't tell you what I was doing there but I did have some engagement on documentation used by the Nigerian states. It was some years ago.

-

As for recognition, you need to check the various acts on mutual recognition of documents.  Nigeria is not a signatory to the Hague convention.  It means documents from Nigeria are NOT recognised without authentication or an apostille by a Nigerian consulate.   The risk of fake documents or even real documents illegally obtained is very high from Nigeria.  Without trying to denigrating your country, corruption is endemic so it will be a challenge to do what you want and it will cost some money.  And it could take a long time. I don't need to tell you how slow things move with this stuff.

-

Get your other half to contact the Nigerian Embassy in Budapest. Click here for that.

To be legalized for use in Hungary, an official Nigerian document must be authenticated by the Hungarian embassy in Nigeria, not the Nigerian embassy in Hungary.

To be legalized for use in Hungary, an official Nigerian document must be authenticated by the Hungarian embassy in Nigeria, not the Nigerian embassy in Hungary.

-@zif

Dont, bother, yet another time waster. 

To be legalized for use in Hungary, an official Nigerian document must be authenticated by the Hungarian embassy in Nigeria, not the Nigerian embassy in Hungary.        -@zif

At this point my interest has waned!

To be legalized for use in Hungary, an official Nigerian document must be authenticated by the Hungarian embassy in Nigeria, not the Nigerian embassy in Hungary.        -@zif

Dont, bother, yet another time waster. 

-@SimCityAT

There's always a chance it's legit but well, people posting questions like this tend to have  form.

Nigeria was an interesting place to visit. I wouldn't go there as an independent traveller or without some relatives or some support like that. 

Corruption is institutionalised there and embedded.  It's a way of life to try and get around the rules. It will take generations to change the mindset. 

Heaving place with large diverse population.  Lots of interesting things though.  My hosts wanted to eat giant snails.  No thank you!   It's a different place to other countries of West and East Africa or even sub-Saharan Africa. 

The corruption is such as shame for the country and people as so much potential if they could get it right.  it's an oil curse.   Angola might be the same from what I've read - not been.  Contrast that with Norway and their sovereign oil wealth fund. It will keep Norway going forever.

I was in Lagos State and what a state it is indeed.

@cdw057So she needs to come down to Nigeria for a wedding, does Hungary recognise the marriage certificate from Nigeria         -@christopher5jjj

No one on this site can say what the HU immigration services will or will not except as prove of marriage.

I'm American and my husban dis a HU and US citizen.

We at the time were married over 40 years and I had a very, very difficult time with HU immigration.

They wanted paperwork that really no normal persn would have.

The docutment we filled out in 1978 at the courthouse that was just basic inf osuch as our parents names and our old address.

They can and will ask for any odd ball paper just to stall people I think.

In the end it was fine, we got the paper but it took months with the sloppy mail service here and buying US money orders that are not sold here in Hungary.

All I can say is bring every scrap of paper you have and don't be surprized if they ask your blood type and your great-grandmothers day of birth.

It's hard.

As a HU citizen your fiance is suppose to have certain rights such as to bring their spouce to Hungary but even so, you must prove you have enough income to support yourself, sign paperwrk that you will never ask for gov. aid here and purchase your own health insurance for at least a full year.

That's if you plan on settling in Hungary.

Don't take it personally though, my old HU DIL had a hard time going to the US as a fiance, after she was legally married the US embassy in Budapest was much friendlier with her.

To be fair, while the US does have a fiancé(e) visa, officials tend to be hard-nosed about it because it's sometimes abused.

To be fair, while the US does have a fiancé(e) visa, officials tend to be hard-nosed about it because it's sometimes abused.        -@zif

I may have related this story before so apologies if you've already heard it.

Many years ago Mrs F was semi-interrogated by Hungarian border guards at BUD airport why she was married to a foreigner.  The final comment was "No good Hungarian men for you then?". 

One can imagine how incensed I was at such an insensitive and unacceptable comment. I was like she'd made a bad choice AND I was "unqualified".

I wasn't physically there and found out when we got home.  The air was blue.  And many statements beginning with F were used about the HU border guards.

I think people realise from my postings here I don't have a lot of time for those "McJob" people. My disdain didn't happen suddenly.  That's why I think of them as being the dregs of the barely employable. I say McJob but it's an insult really to the people working in McDs.

I was at yet another far away border post yesterday and the guy said, "where did you come from?" I said, "Budapest" and he said "Capital city of Turkey right?".   Yeah, now come on, matey, don't be silly. I asked him if it was a "test" and he seriously said "Yes" and I laughed.  Like some 60+ white European guy with grey hair is NOT going to know Budapest is in Hungary.  At least he smiled a bit at the absurdity and said, "he had to ask".   

Really?  Do me a favour and pull the other one!  I think ask better if you want to catch people out and choose a more likely target (i.e. not me).

To be fair, while the US does have a fiancé(e) visa, officials tend to be hard-nosed about it because it's sometimes abused.        -@zif

My ex HU DIL pulled sme BS with the fiance visa.

We had no idea she had done it until it was too late. She lied( typical of her to lie about everything, even seeing guys on the side behind my sons back)

Instead of staying in the US for the 90 days she said she had a visa to stay longer and was there fr 6 months. They told her she couldn't re enter the US for like 5 years. My silly son missed her, went to HU for over a year and got married to her before he returned home, all his savings had run out thanks to her spending and her evil witch of a mother taking rent money from my son. Sorry, her 3 story high Buda house and her villa at Balaton were so expensive that she need edhis hard earned savings, plus he paid some vet bills... Don't let me get going or I'll scream!

Fast forward, when my now Japanese DIL visited the US on a fiance visa, she made a honest mistake and came a few days earilier then the 180 days being out of the uS. It was her 3rd US visit in a short period f time. At the airport in Vegas they pulled her out and tk her in the back room and started on her for a couple of hours.

Question after question, why was she in the US so often, was my son really her fiance or was she wrking illegally in the US etc.

She tld my son they were getting married that visit or she would never see him again after that exam.

They married that visit in Vegas and later went to Japan for a big wedding with her family.

I think it's been 10 years married for them and so far so good.

My HU DIL couldn't be quiet for a moment while my Japanese DIL takes hours of proding to get word out of her. Different cultures.

I may have related this story before so apologies if you've already heard it.

Many years ago Mrs F was semi-interrogated by Hungarian border guards at BUD airport why she was married to a foreigner.  The final comment was "No good Hungarian men for you then?". 

One can imagine how incensed I was at such an insensitive and unacceptable comment. I was like she'd made a bad choice AND I was "unqualified".

I wasn't physically there and found out when we got home.  The air was blue.  And many statements beginning with F were used about the HU border guards.

I think people realise from my postings here I don't have a lot of time for those "McJob" people. My disdain didn't happen suddenly.  That's why I think of them as being the dregs of the barely employable. I say McJob but it's an insult really to the people working in McDs.

I was at yet another far away border post yesterday and the guy said, "where did you come from?" I said, "Budapest" and he said "Capital city of Turkey right?".   Yeah, now come on, matey, don't be silly. I asked him if it was a "test" and he seriously said "Yes" and I laughed.  Like some 60+ white European guy with grey hair is NOT going to know Budapest is in Hungary.  At least he smiled a bit at the absurdity and said, "he had to ask".   

Really?  Do me a favour and pull the other one!  I think ask better if you want to catch people out and choose a more likely target (i.e. not me).

-@fluffy2560

That's bad but what was worst is when we stayed for 6 weeks in Hungary back in 1978 my MIL was just plain old mean.

She asked my husband why he married an American and not a HUngarian!

I found that rude as heck considering he lived in the USA.

What was even more insane is my husband actually told me that while we were still staying in her house.

Like I was ready to pack up and leave that moment.

That's bad but what was worst is when we stayed for 6 weeks in Hungary back in 1978 my MIL was just plain old mean.She asked my husband why he married an American and not a HUngarian!I found that rude as heck considering he lived in the USA.What was even more insane is my husband actually told me that while we were still staying in her house.Like I was ready to pack up and leave that moment.       -@Marilyn Tassy

I suppose your MIL was worse than the border guards.  But then again, MILs do have some interest in family matters.

But the border guards? It's none of their business to decide what's right and wrong in marital affairs.

We used to have trouble passing the UK borders before Hungary was EU.  Mrs F always was asked questions so we used to go together to the desk so I could help out if needed. 

But then Hungary was in the EU and it all went away. 

Now with Brexit the tables are turned, I have trouble (ok, not trouble, inconvenience sometimes) coming back into Hungary.

To be fair my MIL also had a 6th sense about my ex HU DIL. The day she met her she cried literally tears to my husband and begged saying,"please don't let my grandson marry her".

No one was good enough for her boys!!

In my DIL's case she was right but with me, come on, 50 years and still didn't make the grade?

For moderator, interesting but where is the initial poster in this thread??

Is this genuine, if there is real love, where is the fiancee activities?

In my view this thread should be deleted.

Engagements accross countries are fine (very fine), but this I am really puzzled, a man has a fiancee (serious and a commitment) she does not do anything (whereas she is in a position to do so).

I do not trust the initial and further post (is it really a post?), I have nothing against Africans (actually I know quite of them). But this one I DO NOT TRUST (Fiancee, really??)

For moderator, interesting but where is the initial poster in this thread??
Is this genuine, if there is real love, where is the fiancee activities?
In my view this thread should be deleted.
Engagements across countries are fine (very fine), but this I am really puzzled, a man has a fiancee (serious and a commitment) she does not do anything (whereas she is in a position to do so).

I do not trust the initial and further post (is it really a post?), I have nothing against Africans (actually I know quite of them). But this one I DO NOT TRUST (Fiancee, really??)

-@cdw057

It's a fair point.  It's not unexpected that chancers try and get some advantage and looking for an angle.

But perhaps the financee might be working behind the scenes.  We have no idea.

Workwise I quite often ask the same question of different people.  I do it deliberately to see if the answers I get are the same.  Maybe the OP is asked in multiple places too.

If there's no seriousness to the OP's question, it will fizzle out on it's own.

IDK, my DIL of 10 years is a super inwards lady.

My son asks her things in Japan and it takes sometimes days for her to answer him.

I know, weird.

He is pretty much a househusband and she works.

In the US she stayed home for years. Even so my son did all the paperwork,paid all the fees etc. for her immigration.  Last time he paid his final fee of $900. USD for her US citizenship test. After immigration dragged out for over 18 months they just said F it and moved to Japan. She was legal in the US and had a work permit etc. but  they had enough of the US.

My ex HU DIL knew everything about immigration to and from Hungary.

She had a plan for herself however and wanted to know all the tricks of the trade.

Yes, turned out she was a green card bride after all...

Some people just can't handle offical things and yes, he may be using this platform as a sounding board to see if his impressions are what most people believe is the right way.

To tell the truth after dealing myself with the HU immigration system, they are not for you.

They don't give any helpful information and stick to the book.

They don't make it easy for anyone no matter what their country of orign is, except perhaps a few favored countries such as China.

Most who want to get into HU without any family cnnections seem to hire lawyers.

Made everyone angry when a lawyer would come in with a file of cases 10 inches high and get called in before the rest of us. Then a group on another day of 15 people from the same country ( not going to mention where) would all get their ID photos taken befoe anyone else was called in for their review. ( money talks and you know what walks)

They seemed to us to be line jumpers just because they had a lawyer with them.

I could be wrong but that's the impression that was given.

What really got me was my case worker looked exactly like my own son. Tall, young looking with red hair.

I wished many times he was my son so I could lay into him for being such a jerk.

It's all about hiring a lawyer.

We almost broke down and did that ourselves but my husband has issue with being a HU citizen and having to pay to bring his wife in.

He thought it was against his birth rights which it is.

Every country makes it hard with immigration.