Earning through my UK ltd company whilst living in the Netherlands.

I am looking to relocation to Amsterdam with my partner who is a Dutch citizen. I will apply for residency through her which should all run smoothly. But question is in regards to my work and tax.

I work in film in the UK and all over the world and I operate self employed through my own LTD company in the UK. I would still need to work through my own company, does anyone have any experience with this and the tax rules between earning in UK but living in the Netherlands.

many thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Tax treaties are in place between the UK and NL; you can access/download them from this link.

The key word in these matters is "assess".  Where you will be assessed for taxes on your worldwide income is decided by where you are deemed as being resident, so where you live for more than 183 days in any tax year.  As far as the Dutch are concerned, you will be deemed as being effectively resident in the Netherlands from the moment you register with the Gemeente, with who you must make an appointment to register within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands.

With regards to personal taxes, there is one major difference in how these taxes are structured; in the UK you are assessed for Income Tax, and in the Netherlands, you will be assessed for Income Tax and Social tax.  The tax treaties generally protect individuals from being assessed for income tax twice on the same income, but this protection does not apply to Dutch social taxes where you will be assessed and charged on your world-wide income, regardless of whether you have paid a similar tax elsewhere on that same money.

With regards to what you pay and where, nobody on here is qualified as a UK/Dutch tax adviser and that's who I advise you to speak to next.  At the top of thjis page is a link to our Services section with links to potential tax advisers.  Another avenue to consider is if your partner has already paid taxes in the Netherlands, he/she may already have used the services of a tax adviser.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@lukecm24

Hi Luke, I would setup a separate entity in the Netherlands and apply for a 30% ruling in there. You can then invoice your clients from the Dutch entity, and not worry about your UK/NL taxes. The 30% ruling will then give you some nice benefits as well. This is explained here: cardon.nl/freelancing-in-the-netherlands-with-a-30-ruling-in-8-steps

@lukecm24
Hi Luke, I would setup a separate entity in the Netherlands and apply for a 30% ruling in there. You can then invoice your clients from the Dutch entity, and not worry about your UK/NL taxes. The 30% ruling will then give you some nice benefits as well. This is explained here: [link under review]

-@Jorg Adrian

You can only apply for the 30% ruling if you found a job from outside the Netherlands.

In other words: find a job before you enter the Netherlands.

Firstly thank you for all your speedy responses. It's super helpful to read all this. Trying to figure out the system is proving quite tough.

The Dutch entity does great but unfortunately to keep  contracted employment through uk productions I would still need to be invoicing the clients through my UK ltd company. So unfortunately I don't think Dutch entity option would work for myself.

@Cynic

Thank you for your insight, can I ask is the dutch social tax that you mentioned, the one that is assessed based on world-wide income, is this the same tax as national insurance tax which is capped at a certain amount per annum? Thanks

https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/netherland … ther-taxes

@Cynic
Thank you for your insight, can I ask is the dutch social tax that you mentioned, the one that is assessed based on world-wide income, is this the same tax as national insurance tax which is capped at a certain amount per annum? Thanks

[link under review]

-@evacylo

I can't see your link yet, I've requested they unlock it so I can see it and then I'll revert to you.