Menu
Expat.com

Marriage/ Wedding Amsterdam

Last activity 22 July 2024 by 3Josh

RM9

Hello, me and my partner (both UK citizens living in the UK) have booked to get married in Amsterdam next June. I understand there are legal processes to this, but I have read that one of you have to be dutch or living in the Netherlands, otherwise you cannot get married there. However, my partner has dutch decedents and dutch family who live in Amsterdam. Obviously I’ve seen lots of other people getting married in Amsterdam who are not dutch and do not live in the Netherlands. So I was wondering if someone could advise me or has any info on what I would need to do and if it is possible for us to get married there. Can we still get married there by an officiant and be issued with a marriage certificate? (I have booked appointment in Amsterdam to notify of our intention to marry).

Cynic

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The Dutch Government website has the details you are asking for; this link will take you straight to it.

You will need to contact Gemeente Amsterdam, this link will take you straight to their website.

I hope this has helped and wish you both the best of luck in your lives together.

Cynic

Expat Team

rinav

@RM9 Hi, you should get in contact with local companies, who could arrange a wedding event for you, including all the necessary paperwork. I could recommend one in Utrecht, they organize all kind of events for the foreigners.

3Josh

I think it's pretty unlikely from the links that Cynic posted that two non-citizen, non-residents would be able to marry in the Netherlands, but definitely contact the authorities ASAP to try to run down all the possibilities.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Amsterdam

All of Amsterdam's guide articles