S1 health form for UK persons retiring abroad

I have full health coverage as a full time permenant resident in Portugal but as I am now at retirement age the UK health care service wants to register me for a S1 which is for the UK to pay for my  healthcare if I  live in an EU country.

I was told that I don't have to apply. Is there any benefit to having the S1 application when I already have health care from Portugal. I can imagine it may be farer to Portugal if the UK pays since I have never had to contribute over here but this is not the point of my question either.

With the S1 form you can use the NHS in Portugal by registering at your local health centre. It can be useful for an emergency at a public hospital, for example.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati … n-portugal

Access to the National Health System:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=902977

Hi my husband has the S1 form and yes it does help when you use the NHS Portugal as the UK pay for the treatment that you need which is only fair, we have full health care here also.

as JohnnyPT said go to the gov.uk website and read all the benefits that come with the S1 form.

when I get to retirement age I will be applying for the S1 form

@Jean Denise. Upon reaching retirement age the UK automatically begin the application process so one does not need to apply upon retirement. I was asked some questions and wondered why have I been contacted and then made inquiries. I was later told that the process is automatic but if I have full cover in Portugal for medical care then I can cancel the process.

@JohnnyPT

Thanks for the reply Johnny. You have done a great deal of work to explain the S1 system and made it available for the community to read.

I am not really sure what advantages it offers me right now since I get full medical coverage already. For example I have had a total knee replacement here in Portugal and am wondering what the S1 would give me that I do not already get?  The UK said that if I had coverage in Portugal then I could cancel the automatic application. Thats just echoing their view on matters.

I can see the point if I was moving from the UK as a retiree to Portugal then the  S1 would give me entitlement to healthcare.