Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Last activity 02 February 2019 by Tumen123

mugtech

Since you are a USA citizen you will never own land in the Philippines.  You could own certain condos, but that does not sound like your style.  You need to alter your plans.

samangelevski

The only way you can buy land is with someone here you trust, most guys here will chose a Girl, and young one at that, but then again if you so close of coming here to live, I take it permanently, you will have done reserch by now, but then you will come for 30 days, my advice to you is meet are Local Girl, where you wish to live in Philippines, and try to fall in love, as she will be your ticket to your retirement in Philippines, but remember everything you buy here is hers, you will own nothing, so have one or two kids so you can leave your possessions to them at the end of it all. this is not much of a adice as it is way of life here, for all foreigners in Philippines.

Silvercobra

Hi Nic,
As a US citizen you cannot own land here in the Philippines. Best you can hope for is find someone who you would trust enough to give them your bank account details and your credit card. This step is fraught with danger. You will be able to buy land in their name.
To me a wife is the best option.
At least if it turns to shit you will know the money went to family.
Put looking for land on hold and find someone who will love you and not the mini-ATM in your pocket.
I followed the above advice and am so happy now ( married 10yrs. 3 beautiful kids) that sometimes I fart rainbows.

Nicdniro

It's fascinating to read replies of negative opinions - not one of you ask if I have dual citizen - automatic thinking (his a us citizen), you can't buy this or that unless your part of a filipino family. Yes i am a US Citizen - I am also a Filipino Citizen - I learn not to assume
things - but ask more question before giving my opinions. Thanks for your replies.

Nic

Silvercobra

Hi Sam and mugtech,
Fancy that and who would have guessed.
Silly me for trying to help without asking for more information. Won’t do that again, how about you
Nic, google tagaytay phone book.

samangelevski

It is not your problem Silver, do not be hard on your self, the Guy is an Idiot, he asked questions to us, we have as good people replied what is like in Philippines, what you can buy or not and how, then he said we did not ask him a question?? how stupid is that, for us to ask him, he has forgotten basics, you never ask question with question.

GuestPoster170

The problem with many Filipinos is that they don't assume to be Filipinos!  Nic is saying that he is American in his profile but no hint that he is bi-national and after that he will complain!  Susmariosep!  Assume that you are Filipino first!  I am fed up with this kind of behavior!  Are you ashame?

samangelevski

well said French, he accusing us of negative opinions, but what we said to him was nothing negative all is positive yet we are in wrong, haha go and work this one out ??

mugtech

Everything is bigger in Texas, including egos.

bigpearl

Obviously a trick question! Perhaps the OP is on a fishing expedition?
Nic, if you had given the forum readers your dual citizenship info in your introduction the answers would have been totally different, good luck getting more info now.

Cheers, Steve.

Silvercobra

Spot on Bigpearl,
Once bitten twice shy.

Mr.Brew

Hello all,

My name is Brad...(Mr.Brew)...just wanted to introduce myself.
I am from south Georgia USA
I am currently working as a Safety Inspector (6yrs) and have a LEO and DOD background.
I have traveled a good bit ...middle east, south east asia, etc....
Divorced.....but now engaged to a beautiful young Filipina.
The future wifey and in-laws are mostly from CDO and Cebu.
So I am definitely wanting to make friends that have a similar situation or those expats that have or ARE living in CDO specifically.
I am no where near to retirement so I have 20+ yrs to go here in the US...but I do pretty well for myself so
I do plan on visiting CDO 2 x a year...maybe keeping a small home place there .and eventfully retiring there.
The fiancé will be with me here in USA soon - yahoo!....but of course will try to get to see her family when possible.
That sums it up....thanks in advance for any advice and looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Cheers,

Mr.Brew

Silvercobra

G’day Mr. Brew and welcome to the forum. I don’t know if you can see back about a dozen posts but if you can you will see honesty truly is the best policy.
20 years is a long time to plan ahead.
Good luck.
By the way who are LEO and DOD when they’re home? They sound American and I’m not.

GuestPoster170

DoD seem to be defense department...

Mr.Brew

AHHHHh..sorry everyone should have been more clear lol.....
yes DOD is Department of Defense and LEO is Law Enforcement Officer

Mr.Brew

Yes its true 20 years is a long time lol......but I like to think ahead- yahoo!
But I do plan on being there at least 2x a year
Also I just spent 13 days in CDO...in Nov
Just trying to make new and helpful friends in CDO.....
All I have currently to get info and guidance from is my fiancé...and  future in-laws....there great! loving people...
But....would like friends of my own...and get the real scoop.....on things

thanks

selfbetrue13

I am looking to move to Davao City. I am not sure exactly where yet,  but let me explain what I am looking for. First I am on a limited budget. I work from home on a small scale. I need a studio with a bathroom for 30 days while I look for a more suitable place for my family. Then I am looking for a 3-4 bedroom, or multi level house.

I am on a very tight budget, so I would like to stay around 5000p for the studio/room, and anywhere between 15,000p and 20,000p for the house.

I am also not terribly particular about it needing to be fancy. We are pretty simple people and would rather spend our money on food than high rent. I would like an AC unit in the bedrooms at least.  Hot water would be great. Clean or able to be cleaned easily.

Most importantly,  it must be safe for my kid. I hear great things about Davao, and it's vital I raise my child in a safe environment. I would rather just be able to trust my neighbors and let my kid be able to play from house to house with the other kids so he's not lonely.

I'm hoping to get there and grow my business. I don't have a lot to get started, but with some help from the awesome coworkers I have met so far from your area I will be able to succeed.

- Needs to be safe for international family.
- 5000p for 30 days - studio/big room private bath is all I can really afford, no kidding.
- 15000-20000p for 3-4 br house.
- Good internet is a must. I work online.
- I can pay for good internet to be installed if needed. It's vital to my business.
- I keep things neat and quiet, never a problem from me. Family man.
- Walking distance to shopping and atms.
- Quiet neighborhood.

As I said, I am open to options on location, just safe, good internet, family friendly, markets to buy food close by, the basics.

Blessings .

Rheine1992

Hi! I am here in Ksa. First time to work abroad. Having difficult time.

borsdengraal

Hello fellow Expats!
I have been living here in the Philippines for over a year. Perhaps it's a bit of a cliché, young Filipina wife, old "Americano", but we're both exceedingly happy. I'm happily retired here in Mindanao, and we're rice farmers. I was a city kid in the US.
Since I've been here, I've looked to "take care of my wife", no only in her present state, but also looking to her future. Hence, rice farming. We currently have over 3 hectares and our goal is to have 10 hectares. We also have a carabao and 6 pigs, and a farm tool called a turtle. My father-in-law manages our farms, ensuring spraying fertilizer and insecticides as necessary. He gets 10% of the harvest as payment.
We "purchased" our land throgh a practice here known as pawnland. We don't charge interest, but anything we grow, we keep as ours.
Tuesdays and Thursdays I meet with other Expats. We call our little club, the Longnoses. It gives us an opportunity to share information and ideas, and to hear and speak English.
I am enjoying my Great Last Love, and my Great Adventure.
Lambert

expatsteve48
Nicdniro wrote:

Hey I'm Nic - currently in San Antonio TX., planning to retire in 1 1/2 yrs. Looking to retire

Hey Nic...fellow Texan here.  You've got the inside track as a dual citizen, but if you haven't lived here in a while (or ever) it's best to come check it out for a year or two, and see how life suits you.  At least live in Tagaytay for a year before building to make sure it suits you there.  Maybe you will like Subic better.  Maybe you'll be madly in love by then and build where she wants to live.  haha.   Just too many variables to even consider building at this point,  IMO.  But good luck to you, whatever you end up doing.

zizumer

hi ,,, My name abdulaziz I'm an explorer who loves to experience and capture the beauty of the Philippines

Nagendran Maharajan

Hi everyone,
                      My name is Nagendran, currently dwelling in India,working as software engineer here for 2.6 years. I found my fiance in philippines by social media online. We are together for over a year. Now, I am looking forward to find a job in any location in philippines in IT / Management domain. I dont seem to find a firm possibile way to get hired. I registered here hoping to find a job. Most of the expat job openings seem to be for senior executive staffs and call center jobs. Yet, In these fields the preference is mostly for locals in philippines. I am already upset with the issue to get hired in philippines.Its my future, my life and career to settle there soon.

Wish I get a solid opportunity to climb high!

mugtech
Nagendran Maharajan wrote:

Hi everyone,
                      My name is Nagendran, currently dwelling in India,working as software engineer here for 2.6 years. I found my fiance in philippines by social media online. We are together for over a lyear. Now, I am looking forward to find a job in any location in philippines in IT / Management domain. I dont seem to find a firm possibile way to get hired. I registered here hoping to find a job. Most of the expat job openings seem to be for senior executive staffs and call center jobs. Yet, In these fields the preference is mostly for locals in philippines. I am already upset with the issue to get hired in philippines.Its my future, my life and career to settle there soon.

Wish I get a solid opportunity to climb high!

Perhaps you should consider meeting your girlfriend in the Philippines and discuss having her come to India to live with you as your wife.  Most who come to the Philippines are closer to retirement age or self employeed and do their work on their own computer.  Have you ever been to the Philippines?  You will want to check WiFi wherever you think you want to live, might not be too good.  Where in the Philippines does she live?  You should probably start a new thread to address these issues.

Richard Yan

Good day sir. Sorry to tell you.  Nobody owe you  a living.

samangelevski

Yan what is your comment about ??

Deansailing

Julian,

I hope to move from Colorado Springs to Philippines in next few months

could you please provide essential information.

Thank You,

Dean Taylor

dennisusa

sounds like opportunity maybe?? do you like to teach ? people here do loves basketball and sports in general. maybe start something ??

dennisusa

hi nick, do research, you are not allowed to buy land here, most guys are buying with land in the wifes name, there are ways, local law allows ownership of condo property for foreigners ( but it has to be a legal condo  ). you can long term lease and i think you can own the house built on that property i think it is max of 25 year lease followed by a second 25 ,but check with lawyer don't take my word for legal advice, just proceed with caution, many will say sure you can buy ( including some lawyers ) give me money, one friend of mine in usa always argued with me sure you can own land there!  i do not have the heart to tell him ( older guy bad heart) that his wife admits they were scammed and he lost several million peso

dennisusa

hello, Dennis here from Las Vegas USA in country for about 3 years, living in General Santos City Sarangani prov for most of that time, early ss so living low keyed, still learning to slow the pace down from hectic lifestyle of the states -lol

Dcstewart6488

I plan to retire in Phil in a couple of years. 30 year X military.  I married a Filipina (K1visa) two years ago. Currently in Kansas City.   If you want to chat,
facebook David c *** (us postal service) or text us at ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Contact details should be shared through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
pumaren

Hello everyone!

Born in the Philippines but raised in the US since I was 8 yrs old. Retirement is just around the corner and looking at the options in retiring in the Philippines.

Have a great one!
Pumaren

jtdix

Greetings fellow travelers,

Will retire next year in the Cebu area, I am counting the months. I am hoping to make some good contacts here to start building a network of friends, nice to meet you!

BTW, does anyone know when the PRA website will be up and running again? I'm having a hard time locating a PRA marketer. Any tips would be appreciated.

Hobbit112

Hello all!  8 months more to go for me before I retire @ 63 and move to the Philippines.  Have been doing research for the past 5 years and am heading for Roxas City, Capiz, on Panay.

I plan on living simply so I can spend what I save on local travel.

Peter in Omaha

sparrow64

Hi Jon my name is Wayne & im living here in Australia but plan to move there full time in a few years with my lovely philipino wife Jeona,We've been married for 4 years now & don't have any children as im 54 this year & Jeona will be 41,bit too late to start a family.This is my 2nd marrage with my 1st ending in divorce pretty soon as she came to Australia,anyway thats the past & I learn't a valuable lesson & now I have a wonderfull unstanding loving wife & we're both very happy together.The 1st time I visited the Philippines was back in 2000 when a philipino workmate of mine was goeing home for a holiday & invited me to come along with him & his wife,I've been to the Philippines 15 times & travelled to alot of different places some tourist destinations & quite a few places where I was the only foreigner.We bought a small house off the plan in 2015 & it is still under construction along with all the other houses in the sub/division which is still unfinished as well.As I mentioned I have been there 15 times since 2000 & gained alot of experience with life in general to more specific problems/challenges & I would be more than happy to answer any questions u may have & if im not too sure my wife will fill me in.We'll be starting some type of business when we move there to pay for our day to day expensives,I have a few different things I enjoy with Scuba diveing/fishing/reading/movies & sport some.Our house is in Davao City in Mindinao where my wife studied & worked,U'll find most foreigners & philipinoes avoide Davao but it is the first place I've felt safe walking at night & is in fact listed as being in the top 10 safest citys in the world.I just joined this Expat forum today & would like to meet some foreign friends intent on living there,Im a honest genuine guy & would like to meet good genuine people.My E-mail is (***) or u could use this site to contact me.Ok hope to hear from u as we could bounce a few different idea's etc regarding the Philippines,Regards Wayne..

Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
sparrow64

Hi Ray im Wayne liveing in Australia with my Philipino wife of 4 years & we're very happy together.Like urself we will be moveing there full time in a few years & live in Davao city in our yet to be finished small house inside the unfinished sub/division.My wife was a accountant & has family in business in Davao so we will be getting into some type of business to pay for our day to day expensives.I'll be happy to live a modest life there with cable tv & internet + a/con in the bedroom being my only for want of a better world luxurys or indulugents.I just joined this Expat forum today & u'll find me a honest genuine guy & I'd like to meet good genuine foreigners.My email is (***) or u could contact me via this forum im still unfamilar with,I'd be interested in bouncing a few different idea's of each other & come up with some good idea's for starting a small business or life in general in the Philippines,Ok Mate hope to hear from u from time to time,Regards Wayne..

Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
sahanaselvaraj

Hi everyone,
                         My name is sahana..I came from india to Philippines as dependent visa..I want to work in Philippines..I am completed my Masters degree in Information technology..can anyone give me suggestions to get a job..

Ctrylwyr

Hi , Im Mark from Salem, VA USA.

My wife Em and I are considering returning to the Philippines from Salem for my imminent retirement.  Em is a Filipina and a native of Cabanatuan.  We are interested in relocating to Manila...assuming the proper situation can be found.

Em is a veteran OFW with tours in Taiwan and Dubai; I am a retiring criminal defense attorney.
We are looking for a life near one of Manila’s colleges where I can teach or do part-time volunteer work.  Em is a trained engineer and open to opportunities.

I welcome comments and suggestions, and look forward to being a participating member.

sparrow64

Hi Mate as a foreigner u can't buy land in the Philippines,if u marry a philipino u can buy land under ur wife's name.I am told that some people get around this by leasing land long term eg 50 - 70 years.U are legally allowed to buy a apartment/condiminum under ur name & own it outright.If u really want to get land to build on some of the other guys could offer u good advice,im married to a philipino lady & our house & land is in both names & im not familar with the in's & out's of leasing land,Good Luck Though.

sparrow64

Point taken but if u want good advice please be more specific in ur inquirys,U seem to be up to speed on the answer to ur own question's & it's hard to fathom why u would ask these questions in the Expat forum.U can simply google the professional's re land etc.

sparrow64

I couldn't agree more re the foolish duel citizen who expects us to use a Silver Ball.I can't work him out but he obviously has some type of issue being a US/Philipino citizen.

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles