Menu
Expat.com

Only 5 days quarantine entering VN?

Last activity 14 March 2021 by SteenHansen

SergGugu

So you can go direct from airport to hotel to do 14 days without doing 5 days in teh vietnam quarantine place???thanks for your help

SergGugu

Thanks inread that vietnam airlines who starts flying to narita and seoul does not allow transit passengers,only local...for me i am stuck in canada since march and wife in hanoi........

pppham40
SergGugu wrote:

Yes because she is thai.but if you are just a business man doing business in Thailand try to get in and you will se.....i used to go to thailand every 4 weeks before and now impossible....even tourists have to go thru a list of requirements that make it nearly impossible to stay in taht gorgeous country.....have a good day

SergGugu, you are right.  Everything before Covid is so smooth and easy e.g. booking, getting the visa, and entering the country.  BUT, during this abnormal time everything seems can change in a blink of an eye.  The notion that people applied their knowledge or experience from pre Covid to advice to the people is really looking for applicable or reliable info is mind boggling to me.  Thanks again for your input.

Chiph138

I came out of 14 days quarantine on Sunday 27 September. I haven’t heard that the time is reduced.

SergGugu

Welcome I have been working in asia for 30 years flying 200,000 miles per year with no problems.now every countries have closed their borders And even if some of them are starting to open them like vietnam for business  people, it is only for Asian.. North American and European people don't seems to matter anymore..let's hope it is just temporary and not the future trend......have a good week and stay safe and healthy

matthanoi

The great news is that once you are finished quarantine, life is very normal on the other side. It was an absolute mission to get here, but very glad I made the effort.

SergGugu

Do u have to do 5 days in government quarantine camp or can you do teh full 14 days in some of teh 5 starts hotels designated in hcmc??Thanks

SergGugu

Did u do your 14 days in hotel approved for quarantine?thanks

matthanoi

Yes, 14 days in a hotel. You need Ministry of Health to agree to let you quarantine in a hotel instead of the government camp.

SergGugu

Thank you very much for the info..at 63 years old i am not going in a vietnamese quarantine military camp for sure....5 starts hotel minimum ta marriott hcmc...hahahha.have a good week and stay safe and healthy.....

danrodri
matthanoi wrote:

Yes, 14 days in a hotel. You need Ministry of Health to agree to let you quarantine in a hotel instead of the government camp.

Hi Matthanoi, I believe you did 15 days, right? Just saying...cause you get tested on the 14th day and they take 1 day to get your result. In that time, you are still under quarantine and not allowed to exit as they will not hand over the release letter which is what you need to get out.

matthanoi

Yes, it was 15 nights. Arrived on Saturday night, and released on Sunday morning. The hotel said they had to wait until they got the clearance papers from the government.

SergGugu

Thanks everyone .i can live with 15 days at hcmc meridien if this is what is necessary to get home have a good week

Velocycling

Even Vietnamese entering on the commercial flights now have to pay for 14 day quarantine ar a price between 1.7 to 5 million   “ expected to cost around $100 per night, depending on the services.”
These were to first returnees on the Vietjet flight from Korea.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/fraca … 70110.html

pppham40

Finally, I got a little time to catch up with all of responses above.  I am still trying to get to Ha Noi without any luck due to cancelation.  Few points that still is not clear to me:
1.   Has anyone able to confirm with two negative test within 5 days, one can move out controlled quarantine to self quarantine? 
2.  So I been told as of 9/15 the VN govt. has opened 6 routes in asia e.g NRT, TPE, ICN,

pppham40

Sorry, my fat finger.... cont. with 2.

2.  Here is more details on the flights where, when, and number of seat.   I believe Vietjet and bamboo also has opened up their commercial flight.   I think one of OP in this this posted that transit is not possible, but I thought that TPE does allowed transit as long as you remain inside the airport and must be within 8 hrs to your next flights... Is This True?
3.  Here is more commercial flight available for US citizens:  https://vn.usembassy.gov/airline-departure-information/
I am still having hard time to book the ticket from US to VN

pppham40

And here is more relevant info i.e. entry and exit requirement and quarantine info  per US embassy in Ha Noi. 
https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … formation/

OceanBeach92107
pppham40 wrote:

And here is more relevant info i.e. entry and exit requirement and quarantine info  per US embassy in Ha Noi. 
https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … formation/

Probably the most important point for many people who are inquiring:

"As of today, the Vietnamese government continues to suspend entry into Vietnam to all foreigners, including people with a Vietnamese visa exemption certificate.  This policy has very limited exemptions for diplomatic, official duty, and special cases, including experts, business managers, foreign investors, and high-tech workers of businesses involved in important projects as determined by the Government of Vietnam.  Family reunification is not one of the exemptions."

GuestPoster3010

I am in the same situation, I booked a ticket via EVA Air and was supposed to fly on October 16th but the flight got cancelled.

I called Cathay, Korean Airlines, ANA, Japan Airlines, Qatar, Etihad, Asiana and VN Airlines and none are flying in October nor November. Some are flying in December but I fear they will be cancelled just like you and I have experienced thus far. ...

Still looking, I only learned today about the cancellation of my flight ... what a bummer.

SergGugu

It is nearly impossible to plan anything right now with airlines.they tell you one thing to sell untickets and later cancel everything last minutes.....personally i dont expect any chance to come home to hanoi until spring 2021.

pppham40

I feel your pain.  The cancelation is a bummer, however, in my case the refund is truly a nightmare for me since I booked via direct (airlines) or through a third party site.   Also, tracking the refunds/fees since I used many types of payment i.e.  Paypal, Master, or Visa is another story.   I am not sure your need to get to VN.... my case is I must be there thus I have to continue to look for the ticket.   I am at a platinum level with AA (oneworld) and United (star alliance), thus calling direct to get the service is easier, however, they still don't have access to other airlines outside of their system/member especially the last leg to VN.   Anyway, at any given day, I have minimum of 5 search engines to scan for avaialability/duration/routes/price, just to name a few:  google flights, kayak, justfly, kiwi, skyscanner.   

Traveling for 30 years worldwide, I can not believe I am sitting hear to discuss this scenario...  Good luck to you!

SergGugu

Me too working in asia and across the all world for 31 years and never seen a mess like that....my wife,my house and my dogs are in hanoi so now 8 months away from everyone stuck in canada..my company ready to pay anything to get me back home but everything is such a mess......i think i am going skiing in th canadian rockies this winter....hahhahahaha.....instead of eating pho bo in hanoi.have a nice weekend

SteinNebraska

I truly feel for all of you.  I had been going back and forth every two months and had a return ticket to US for February 29 (crazy leap year!) and I just didn't have a good feeling about how things were going and cancelled it.  I remember emailing back and forth with our company president leading up to the date  and we both agreed that the risk was too high because I must be here for work and family.  Had I gone I would have been stuck as well.  Cancelled literally just over 24 hours before flight.  Hope you all make it back soon.

pppham40

Hi Danrodri, you are done with the quarantine tomorrow, correct?

pppham40

Hi Steinnebraska, if I read your message correctly, you are currently in VN and your flights continued to cancel for the outbound trip to the US?   And the earliest available flight is Feb 29?

cruisemonkey
SergGugu wrote:

It is nearly impossible to plan anything right now with airlines.they tell you one thing to sell untickets and later cancel everything last minutes...

Airlines did that pre-COVID-19. I hope every one of them goes 'tits up' and their management personnel are drawn, hung and quartered. After which, I will urinate on the pieces of their bodies and salt the earth in which they are buried.

SergGugu

Thanks cor your wishes but i am resigned to be in canada until next year......too much uncertainty with vietnam government and airlines......right hand does not know what left hand do....cannot afford to get stuck in transit fauthority om canàda to hanoi,in seoul or narita.......a canadian was stucked in HK airport for 3 months...dont want thatbto happen to me.....so i will see the canadian snow for first time in 9 years....hahahahah..great.....take care

SteinNebraska
pppham40 wrote:

Hi Steinnebraska, if I read your message correctly, you are currently in VN and your flights continued to cancel for the outbound trip to the US?   And the earliest available flight is Feb 29?

Sorry I confused you.  I was just thinking back to when this all started six months ago and I could have gotten stuck in US like others have had I taken my already-scheduled flight from VN to US Feb 29. I would have not made my April 1-ish flight back to VN because they had already closed the border March 22.

pppham40

To all in this post....
Finally, I am here in VN.  This is my first day in quarantine.

Thanks to all for the valuable inputs.

danrodri

Congrats! It's a relief, I recon. Where are you located? Ibis airport as me? I heard it was fully booked some days ago

pppham40

Thanks Danrodri.  It's truly a relief because the company really needs me to get here to solve major technical issue and upcoming audit from our top 10 customers.   Initially I was supposed to stay at Vinpearl (Hai Phong), now I am at the Binh An hotel.  The room is 30% bigger than Ibis.   Now, I truly understand and attest to what you have posted during your quarantine.   It's a jail time (can not wait to have my freedom back).  Thought, I am a vietnamese (well, US citizen now), they still treated me like highly contagious creatur/criminal..... Oh well, this is truly a love and hate relationship for this lovely country.

SergGugu

Congratulations. You flew from where and which airline did u took to get to vietnam??I just find out that the hcmc meridian hotel bailed out of  the hotel program for accepting quarantine foreigners

danrodri
pppham40 wrote:

Thanks Danrodri.  It's truly a relief because the company really needs me to get here to solve major technical issue and upcoming audit from our top 10 customers.   Initially I was supposed to stay at Vinpearl (Hai Phong), now I am at the Binh An hotel.  The room is 30% bigger than Ibis.   Now, I truly understand and attest to what you have posted during your quarantine.   It's a jail time (can not wait to have my freedom back).  Thought, I am a vietnamese (well, US citizen now), they still treated me like highly contagious creatur/criminal..... Oh well, this is truly a love and hate relationship for this lovely country.

I'm glad to not be alone. Right? They treat you like you are a potential killer. And thinking about it...you already rendered negative on the Covid test by the time arriving in VN. So, you pose a lower infection risk than probably 95% of the entire VN population. I couldn't get away the felling that this is just a huge show and iditiotic system. We are doing something very potentially wrong here. I wonder really how many of these foreigners entering the country really turned out to be positive during their quarantine after showing negative in the first test. Probably the number is zero, but obviously the government will not publish that because it would raise a looooooooot of questions on this excessive and almost abusive system. Anyhow....enjoy jail.

pppham40

@serGuru, here is my itinerary:
America airlines:  CTL - Charlotte, North Carolina to JFK (New York)
Asiana airlines:  JFK (New York) to ICN (Seoul, S. Korea)
Asian airlines:  ICN to HAN (Ha noi, VN)

After 3 exhausting months of booking and cancelation and on Sept 15 when VN opened their international routes (via 6 country) I realized their is only 6 countries (J and handful of airlines will be allowed in VN (see this link for more details:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 90#4959159).  In my case, I asked my HR department to contact VN airlines and Vietjet directly to book one way ticket for me. It seems they have more access (wonder why) to compare any others approved airlines by VN.  24 hrs later booking is confirmed.  5 Days late  (again, no cancelation) I was on the first leg.  Better yet, the duration is less than 24 hrs compare to some others booking I had before ranging from 48 hrs to 78 hrs. 

Hope this help and good luck.

pppham40
danrodri wrote:
pppham40 wrote:

I'm glad to not be alone. Right? They treat you like you are a potential killer. And thinking about it...you already rendered negative on the Covid test by the time arriving in VN. So, you pose a lower infection risk than probably 95% of the entire VN population. I couldn't get away the felling that this is just a huge show and iditiotic system. We are doing something very potentially wrong here. I wonder really how many of these foreigners entering the country really turned out to be positive during their quarantine after showing negative in the first test. Probably the number is zero, but obviously the government will not publish that because it would raise a looooooooot of questions on this excessive and almost abusive system. Anyhow....enjoy jail.

@Danrodri, FREEDOM!!!!!!  You are absolutely correct.  At this rate of treatment from from these morons, I might be tested positive next round.  Excessive and abusive like what happened in NY and EU  due to the fact they base on science (ok, I stop here).  But VN a freaking third world country and acts like they know more science and how to handle epidemic....... really!

Enjoy your freedom...  I will be in HCM for the weekend of Oct30.  I will buy your first round if you still in town.

OceanBeach92107
pppham40 wrote:
danrodri wrote:
pppham40 wrote:

@Danrodri, FREEDOM!!!!!!  You are absolutely correct.  At this rate of treatment from from these morons, I might be tested positive next round.  Excessive and abusive like what happened in NY and EU  due to the fact they base on science (ok, I stop here).  But VN a freaking third world country and acts like they know more science and how to handle epidemic....... really!

Enjoy your freedom...  I will be in HCM for the weekend of Oct30.  I will buy your first round if you still in town.

I personally think both of you need to do a little reading on what's been going on over here. You're so focused on your own personal problems that you're really not aware of what's been going on and how the government has been taking care of it. And I don't think either of you is in the position to be calling people who are serving their country morons. Do you think that the people who are taking care of you really wanted to take that risk? Get over yourselves

Ciambella
pppham40 wrote:

At this rate of treatment from from these morons, I might be tested positive next round.  Excessive and abusive like what happened in NY and EU  due to the fact they base on science (ok, I stop here).  But VN a freaking third world country and acts like they know more science and how to handle epidemic....... really!

The “morons” of whom you spoke belong to a government that was praised by WHO as well as many, many international medical experts for their ability to control the number of COVID deaths.

Yes, this is a “freaking third world country” but this is also the country where medical personnels were lauded by the UK government for their remarkable feat to save the life of the British pilot who would’ve certainly died if he were treated in his own country.

VN would never be able to compare with first world countries in education, technology, science, etc., but I’m thankful that my husband and I are living here during this epidemic.  And we’re not the only two people who feel that way.  Everyone who is related to us and all of our hundreds of friends in North America and Europe have expressed the same sentiment.

OceanBeach92107
Ciambella wrote:
pppham40 wrote:

At this rate of treatment from from these morons, I might be tested positive next round.  Excessive and abusive like what happened in NY and EU  due to the fact they base on science (ok, I stop here).  But VN a freaking third world country and acts like they know more science and how to handle epidemic....... really!

The morons of whom you spoke belong to a government that was praised by WHO as well as many, many international medical experts for their ability to control the number of COVID deaths.

Yes, this is a “freaking this world country” but this is also the country where medical personnels were lauded by the UK government for their remarkable feat to save the life of the British pilot who would’ve certainly died if he were treated in his own country.

VN would never be able to compare with first world countries in education, technology, science, etc., but I’m thankful that my husband and I are living here during this epidemic.  And we’re not the only two people who feel that way.  Everyone who is related to us and all of our hundreds of friends in North America and Europe have expressed the same sentiment.

Definitely. Me too.

And it doesn't have as much to do with science as it does the ability to identify and track contacts.

Without a national identity system (Social Security doesn't count) and strict adherence with government directives on any level, my United States never had a chance of being able to gain the upper hand.

Ciambella
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Definitely. Me too.

And it doesn't have as much to do with science as it does the ability to identify and track contacts.

Without a national identity system (Social Security doesn't count) and strict adherence with government directives on any level, my United States never had a chance of being able to gain the upper hand.

Even if/ when Real ID is adopted by all states, it wouldn’t work in the US because everyone would scream “Invasion of privacy!” as soon as the government tracks them down for tests, treatments, or history of contacts.

Malcolmleitrim
Ciambella wrote:
pppham40 wrote:

The “morons” of whom you spoke belong to a government that was praised by WHO as well as many, many international medical experts for their ability to control the number of COVID deaths.

Yes, this is a “freaking third world country” but this is also the country where medical personnels were lauded by the UK government for their remarkable feat to save the life of the British pilot who would’ve certainly died if he were treated in his own country.

Well said, I wish I had stayed in Vietnam last March instead of returning to Ireland where they don't seem to be able to control the virus despite it being a "first world" country.
I will return to Vietnam again as soon as I can get a visa.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Traveling to Vietnam
    Traveling to Vietnam

Many citizens from across the globe require visas to enter Vietnam, so it is strongly advised to have everything ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles