Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Last activity 01 January 2023 by taccity

delmancodilla8

Hi, I'm Rick.  I'm from Maryland, USA.  I married my Philippine wife in 2019 and retired to the Philippines in 2021.  We live in her home town, Tacloban City, where we're building a house.

- @RickTacloban
Hi Rick, it’s wonderful live here in Philippines. I’ve been in Tacloban last year coz i have a project there and done it last year also. I go home here just last coz to find another construction project but nothing to find. Now I’m in Cebu to find again another construction job just like build a house and commercial buildings. By the i am contractor that build and doing general construction.
Erwendo1
Rick
Good to meet you. I’m from the USA (Michigan), my son lives in Maryland (attends school in DC @ Howard). I’m marrying my Filipina fiancé in a few days here in Guimeras. I’m trying to wrap my head around everything there is to know about buying property (my wife’s name) and building plus everything thing else related to retirement here. Hopefully we can communicate as needed and learn from one another.
Welcome to expat.
Dave
Filamretire

@estresistencia Went to Batac area Ilocos Norte last week. Requirements are to have Antigen testing which of course may change but you can easily get it at Manila NAIA Gate 3 Philippine Airlines testing, drive through and is quick results. Only Philippine Airlines goes to Laoag anyway, closest airport. If driving then no worries. Not many foreigners up in the north, I hope you know people there, at least its better to know people that live there, but thats just me perhaps. Visit Paoay Lake, its nice. Also you will need to fill out online questionnaire and of course vaccine card.

Bob midas

@Julien hi everyone, here Robert from Côte d'ivoire French speaking country. I've been living and working since 2019. Globally I've nice experience here. But presently I'm looking for new job as French bilingual customer service representative. I've already 3 years of working experience in call center job.

atrabrecha2015
@kananaduncan Hi Kanana, with my last trip to Philippines was in Oct/Nov 2019, friend of mine just came back from Philippines and he was saying that the amount of paperwork he had to fill prior to traveling from Sydney Australia was a headache, what have you been hearing from your experience living there in Manila.
coach53
@kananaduncan Hi Kanana, with my last trip to Philippines was in Oct/Nov 2019, friend of mine just came back from Philippines and he was saying that the amount of paperwork he had to fill prior to traveling from Sydney Australia was a headache, what have you been hearing from your experience living there in Manila.
- @atrabrecha2015
?? What papers??  That was before covid, so it was just to go to Philipppines WITHOUT needing any other papers than a valid passport and any leaving ticket    smile.png    and get a Visa stamp at arriving.

But DURING covid it has been complicated - if even any chance to get in.
nickdane
Greetings from Michigan. I’m traveling to Cebu at the end of this year and  will try to make it as a digital nomad. Cheers

Nick
etiennepascal1
hello

my name is etienne. i would like to obtain some informations about philippines

best regards
coach53
hello

my name is etienne. i would like to obtain some informations about philippines

best regards
- @etiennepascal1

Welcome.

You can post questions in an own started special thread,

or ask in threads about specific subjects you wonder about and dont find the info there  (but better start new topic if its old and no one have written in it in long time. For some subjects things can have changed since these old threads were written.)
kamalsud
My name is kamal, from Sunnyvale, California, USA.

I am moving to the phillipines after retirement to  live here permanently.

I have a Healthcare background. I am single, going to be looking for a filipina wife.

Have varied hobbies and interests. Do not drink or smoke or do drugs.. have travelled more than half the world. Looking to do some charity for the poor and hurting around me.
coach53
Looking to do some charity for the poor and hurting around me.
- @kamalsud

May I ask in which type of environment (city? rural? ) and which region?

If you aim at Help-to-self-help I have perhaps some useful knowledge after several years of researching e g business ideas possible suiting the Philippines (mainly rural) and what knowledge/skills recievers dont have enough of to succeed.   
Some organisators of such have high success rates
while other organisators fail often by wrong chosed business ideas and/or not combined with giving needed knowledge to support recievers...
msmichaelstinson161
@Julien Hello Julien.  I'm writing this from the State of North Carolina in the United States.

My Wife and I are planning a move to the Calinan Davao City area in the next 2-3 years.  We'll be visiting her family this upcoming December,  and while we're there we'll be looking for a lot to buy to eventually build our cottage on.

Any suggestions by Expats will be highly appreciated regarding safe and affordable properties in the general Calinan area.

Mike
shoheybeatz
Hello everyone

My name is Shohey. I am a Japanese expat, have been working in Clark, Pampanga since 2014 but I am going to move in Cavite for my new job next month.  Nice to meet you.
jamcha1961
@Julien

Thank you for your acceptance on this forum , I have travelled to the Philippines on several occasions and live the people and country side.

I would like to move to Davao , I guess I just like to know about initial costs , I've previewed all the YouTube videos on retirees.

Thank you in advance
rogerbarallobre1973
my is Roger is m English born and I have intentions to go and love in Phillipines in Cebu how can I do it?

thank you for any information
coach53
my is Roger is m English born and I have intentions to go and love in Phillipines in Cebu how can I do it?

thank you for any information
- @rogerbarallobre1973

Well. Better start an own topic to get answer at questions,
but what do you mean by that?   It would be much different answers depending of if you mean love the Philippines, get a wife or act as playboy.    smile.png
manwonder
@coach53

Agree...but I feel both kind of 'gentlemen' are most welcome here....just don't forget to have access to that huge cash bundle you have built up over the years...as without that basic resource no ones going to be interested.

Omo

smile.png
coach53
@coach53

Agree...but I feel both kind of 'gentlemen' are most welcome here....just don't forget to have access to that huge cash bundle you have built up over the years...as without that basic resource no ones going to be interested.

Omo

smile.png
- @manwonder

It depend of which woman is asked   smile.png
Many are frustrated at playboys ="butterfly" men.
An in between level is men meeting ONE, saying they are serious so the women believe it will end up in marriage, BUT they  arent, its more as "vacation girlfriends" for them when they are here part of year.   
E g one has been here (before covid) a few months per year since 7 years or so and I suppouse the woman expected marriage, but havent got.  By his look I dont believe he is serious about such serious thjing.
pnwcyclist
Welcome Kamal. I'm a Bay Area native as well. Have you ever been to the Philippines before? There is always plenty of need so I am sure you will be appreciated.
robertstrauss018
Hello Expats,

Just to moved to Baybay on the 20th of May from Dallas. Would welcome the opportunity to get to know expats in the area.
CDOCSH
It’s my pleasure to join you group of legends. So far CDO has been a treat and full of surprises. It seems like a great place to spend every day just enjoying the weather. 

Whenever I write a bio I think to myself, my doing this right. I spend my free time taking photographs, making electronic music, and DJing. I hope that everyone can be courteous and pleasant in this group as I will do the same. 

Cheers
Keithcollier1709

Hi all,

Newbie on the Philippines forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you wink.png

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,

or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Philippines if you are planning to move there.

Hi I'm new to the forum . I'm presently in living in Holland and am planning to retire in the phillipines in 4 years . Any resettlement advice would be greatly appreciated . Wonderful to be here . Hope to get new friends and advice
It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

- @Julien
erayfehmi82
@Julien

Hi Julien, thank you for adding me here and I am happy to share my story about the beautiful County  Philippines.

I have already lived in Dumaguete City in the Philippines for 4 years. I have also traveled all around the Country to many other beautiful Islands. So I have lot of experience with many ups and downs of the Country, learning it's beautiful people and all the other aspects of the Philippines.

My staying in Dumaguete was for charity work as a Sponsor and also had a relationship but sadly that relationship has ended.

My Sponsorship was to help children have facilities for sporting purposses and raise some funds for other events for their benefits. This was fun and rewarding most of my time i been living there.

I am in the UK for now and I intend to go back, with hopefully more other Sponsorship funds donated for my charity, so I hope to meet many other people here and i be glad to give out any advice on the bases of living there.
BlueFox65
@Julien

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian married to a lovely Filipina lady from Ilagan.  We're thinking of retiring to the Baguio area to give us some distance from her extensive family relations.  I love the mountains and the scent of pine trees.  One of my key  concerns though are the mudslides and the elevated pollution levels.  I imagine there are areas that are safer from mud slides and I would be interested in  learning more about those neighbourhoods.  Thanks in advance.
i know nono
hi all, my name is mark from USA , 40, with a girlfriend/soon to be wife in Buliran, San Miguel, Bulacan. i was going to be there in 2020 then covid and other detours occurred. now im on the cusp of finally going there. i am excited with nerves as well. the length of my initial stay is really undecided. i just joined to get some ideas on life in the Philippines.
coach53
I'm a Canadian married to a lovely Filipina lady from Ilagan.  We're thinking of retiring to the Baguio area to give us some distance from her extensive family relations.  I love the mountains and the scent of pine trees.  One of my key  concerns though are the mudslides and the elevated pollution levels.  I imagine there are areas that are safer from mud slides and I would be interested in  learning more about those neighbourhoods.  Thanks in advance.
- @BlueFox65
There are section maps over the Philippines about landslide risks (and about floods risk too)
BUT - if it isnt changed - it DONT show for landslide risk proportional,
instead it show risk level PEOPLE get hit!
Higher populated areas with LOWER landslide risk get HIGHER risk told than a higher landslide risk with less or no population!!!
So I believe you have good chance to judge the landslide risk better yourself by look at how steep it is. AND include if forest is taken away it add some landslide risk.

Think of landslides can continue into even flat land too, special when it start when its raining much.
Keithcollier1709

@Julien hi people . I'm Keith.  Ex brit . Ex netherlands . I'm hoping to be retiring to the phillipines in 4 years I've a few questions to ask any any advice and experiences would be appreciated . Regards and I hope to hear from some of you soon .

Lotus Eater
@BlueFox65

Welcome to the Forum Blue Fox.

I defer to a regular contributor to this site whose name eludes me but hopefully will pick up on this thread. He is an American gentleman who has resided in Baguio for many years.
I visited the city in the late noughties (can't remember the exact year) but my initial impression was very positive. I flew in with Asian Spirit Airlines (now defunct) into what I can honestly state is the most charming airfield (now closed to commercial flights) I have ever had the pleasure of touching down on. I say airfield: effectively imagine a large garden with a runway at the back of your house. Immaculately manicured lawns and borders with colourful flowers where your aircraft (mine was a twin prop) is the only aircraft there. It was just myself and three Japanese businessman on board.

I stayed for about 5 days at the Elizabeth hotel which is about a 15 minute Jeepney ride into the centre of downtown. (Quick side bar here - the manager of the hotel was an absolutely charming Bakla (gay) and as this was one of the few times that I did not have a Filipina in tow, took a liking to me wink.png I was treated like Royalty and had my own special table prepared in the annexe conservatory for breakfast. At the time they had a corporate function whose guests were in the main dining room. Forgive me I digress)

Your question relates to mudslides - yes they happen frequently, and pollution. Baguio has an altitude of 1,500 metres compared to Tagaytay (another mountain resort of 600 metres) above sea level. The higher you go the thinner the air and the particulates from exhaust fumes (polluting diesel engines) get trapped. I found the air quality worse than downtown Manila.  Aside from that you don't need aircon. Effectively its a micro mountain climate with regular rainfall - don't forget you brolly.

My guess is that over the last decade the quality of life has deteriorated in terms of population size leading to overcrowding and attendant compounded pollution.  By definition a mountain resort is somewhat limited in terms of available land for development. I understand that in the summer months (April May) it can get very congested with Filipino vacationers - many (like my ex GF's parents) have summer houses there. Apparently the U.S military, when they were the colonial power, decamped here for a respite from the hot sweltering Manila summer.

Worth a visit though to see for yourself if only for a few days break.
Cherryann01
@Julien

Hi there,

- @BlueFox65

Please let me know any useful information you find out about Baguio. I am hoping to retire in the Philippines in a few years and have a girlfriend and daughter from Manticao  but feel that the cooler climate in Baguio would be more to my liking. I am still exploring possible places to set up home and intend to visit different places to get a feel for them but somewhere with a cooler climate would definitely  be a big plus for me.
FilAmericanMom
My name is kamal, from Sunnyvale, California, USA.

I am moving to the phillipines after retirement to  live here permanently.

I have a Healthcare background. I am single, going to be looking for a filipina wife.

Have varied hobbies and interests. Do not drink or smoke or do drugs.. have travelled more than half the world. Looking to do some charity for the poor and hurting around me.
- @kamalsud

Welcome Kamal. I lived in the Bay Area (San Francisco) before moving here. I have a few relatives in Milpitas.

Warriors fan?
FilAmericanMom

during the pandemic we have had good sales to mixed-nationality families, foreigners and Filipinos who have worked overseas, but since Level 1 came into effect we have notices a marker drop in online sales . . . maybe we need more sweet pies and pastries . . .

any advice appreciated, our website is [link moderated]

- @martyn27

The drop in online sales is probably because many brick and mortar stores are now fully operational. As more and more areas are being upgraded to level 1, you now have more competition, not just with stores selling the same products as yours, but with eat out / take out stores in general as well

We occasionally buy apple pies at S&R. They're ok, but Mary Grace's is way better and with walnut crumble on the top, but it's also more expensive (over 1000 pesos per pie). Pan de Manila branch, that's walking distance from our house, sells chicken pot pie (I vaguely remember that it cost 450 pesos). We didn't like it because though the filling and texture were good, the crust was too sweet.
FilAmericanMom
Rick
Good to meet you. I’m from the USA (Michigan), my son lives in Maryland (attends school in DC @ Howard). I’m marrying my Filipina fiancé in a few days here in Guimeras. I’m trying to wrap my head around everything there is to know about buying property (my wife’s name) and building plus everything thing else related to retirement here. Hopefully we can communicate as needed and learn from one another.
Welcome to expat.
Dave
- @Erwendo1

Try sending a message to Moon Dog. He's purchased property for his wife and built a lovely house on it.
Enzyte Bob

@FilAmericanMom . . . .The drop in online sales is probably because many brick and mortar stores are now fully operational. As more and more areas are being upgraded to level 1, you now have more competition, not just with stores selling the same products as yours, but with eat out / take out stores in general as well

Just recently I have purchasing more online, mainly non food items on shopee, or food items (shopee) when S&R is out of my favorites.

Recently I've been using Metromart for food items, Metromart represents about 40 stores. You can place a c.o.d. order today and have it delivered tomorrow, you pick the day and time.

Recently I've ordered large frozen shrimp, headless, cleaned and devained, large bag of puppy food, 3 cans of 3lb Kirkland ground coffee, fresh chicken and ground pork.

I order, then choose 8 am the next day delivery so my items are fresh or still frozen. Most of my items are from S&R. I find it more convenient for small orders eliminating the cost of "Grab" and waiting in checkout lines. The prices are the same as store price with an approximately P80 shopping fee.

Also Metromart's product search engine is better and faster than S&R's
mongoosemutilator538
Good day!

I lived in the Philippines (Subic Bay, on base and off-base) for 4 years back in the early noughties. I'm now older, wiser and I'd like to consider the setting up of a private homestead on farmland in the Philippines, as I'm lucky to be married to a Filipina national who holds dual nationality herself. I'm here to discuss everything Philippines-related, but in particular, autonomous living, homesteading and related topics (access to solar power, water reserves, small-scale farming, permaculture, hydroponics). Lovely meeting everyone! 1f600.svg
mongoosemutilator538

@gsturdee We share a very similar profile! Welcome to the forums! It's against the rules so I won't discuss it here, but I'd love to hear more about your farms! Let's talk in the main forum. Cheers!

Timo62

@jpeelersr Regarding taxes in the USA, I hope you already have a bookkeeper or CPA to assist you there. Regarding hospitals in Philippines, check my blog at [link moderated] Look for the "Hospitals" tile on the page or enter a search term "Hospital."

Timo62

@RickTacloban Have you applied for your "Permanent Resident" status yet? It saves a lot of trouble and allows you to work an/or start a business here.

SirDwight
Hello all. Not a new member,  but I've been away for a while and  wondering what's new?
SirDwight
Hi all.
Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles