Menu
Expat.com

medical and visa info

Last activity 22 December 2023 by gloverwade

jdl3gi588

I am 75, thinking of moving to siam reap or sihanoukville. fairly healthy , is it easy to get meds in the hospitals? I take ambian for sleep, some others for afib. Will be looking for a one or two bedroom apartment. Arriving nine january. Extending my visa for 12  month E.R. visa thru a travel agent.

Thanks for any info

Jim Mishler

Bhavna

@jdl3gi588

Hello Jim,

Welcome on board !

While waiting for members to guide you, feel free to have a look at the housing ads posted under the Housing in Siem Reap section.

You may also create your own "looking for" advert in the Cambodia housing section to receive offers.

All the best

Bhavna

Pablo joule

You can get what you want over the counter at most pharmacy or there unbranded equivalent 

JoeKhmer

@jdl3gi588

Don't buy meds in hospitals, go to one of the many pharmacies that supply various products.

If you land in Phnom Penh you could visit Pharmacy de la Gare, before heading to Siem reap or SHV.

Also take a month's supply of meds with you so you don't get in time pressure.

Cheers.

Joe

hdgh29

Hi Jim, yes, you get get just about any medication in pharmacies here without a prescription. I am not sure about Ambien, but there are plenty of equivalents such as Paderyl which is codeine based. I also have afib and I take Atenolol and Rivaxo which I pick up from my local pharmacy, Preah Vihear Pharmacy.

If you are not sure, you can go to a local medical clinic where a doctor will give an initial prescription, after that just get it OTC.

jdl3gi588

Thanks for replies about meds, If I use a hospital and get paid receipts I can get reimbursed 75 percent from my  military insurance. Which is best travel agency to get visa extended to 12 months?

jdl3gi588

@everyone

Good morning to you from Springfield, Missouri USA. Thank you for the replies, It is 8:40 in the morning here. Do you know which travel agency is most used by expats to extend visa on arrival to er   visa for one year?

Take care

Jim

gloverwade

@jdl3gi588

Ive found some normal necessities such as pharmacy items, blood tests and urinalysis when need, are much faster, much cheaper, and just as good of quality in Siem Reap as in the USA or other countries.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cambodia

• Visas for Cambodia
    Visas for Cambodia

As you're no doubt aware, it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain the relevant visas for many ...

• Working in Phnom Penh
    Working in Phnom Penh

When it comes to expat living, Phnom Penh has it all. Thanks to an influx of foreign investment over the past ...

• Living in Phnom Penh
    Living in Phnom Penh

Before going to anywhere in the world, people always try to find out about those places first. Likewise, before ...

• Lifestyle in Cambodia
    Lifestyle in Cambodia

If you are about to settle in the Kingdom of Cambodia, you are probably wondering about its inhabitants' ...

• Opening a bank account in Cambodia
    Opening a bank account in Cambodia

As a foreigner living in Cambodia, opening a bank account is relatively straightforward and can save you quite a ...

• Student life in Phnom Penh
    Student life in Phnom Penh

Adjusting to life as a student can be difficult. Even more so if you are trying to do it in a new country, but ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Phnom Penh
    Popular neighbourhoods in Phnom Penh

As a new expat in Phnom Penh, you are going to need to know the best neighbourhoods to live in for your budget, ...

• Work in Cambodia
    Work in Cambodia

Opportunities are aplenty for foreigners who fall in love with Cambodia after visiting this magical kingdom, or ...

All of Cambodia's guide articles