Laws of having a baby in Libya

As a UK citizen possibly moving to Libya with my boyfriend, would we have to be married to have a baby?  I know in Dubai it is within the Islamic law to be married, but not sure if these laws necessarily apply to me in Libya. Can anyone help answer this?  Thank you.

Welcome to the forum  polstar:)

I hope that members from the region will bring their contributions soon :)

Regards

polstar wrote:

As a UK citizen possibly moving to Libya with my boyfriend, would we have to be married to have a baby?  I know in Dubai it is within the Islamic law to be married, but not sure if these laws necessarily apply to me in Libya. Can anyone help answer this?  Thank you.

I do hope someone can help you with your question ... I doubt if anyone can be absolutely sure about laws in Libya.
Most hospitals here are private and I don't think they'll ask you for a marriage certificate but you'll have to find out what documents are required to get a birth certificate for a non-Libyan baby born in Libya ... maybe you should make that your query instead. Or you could try to get some info. from your embassy in Tripoli.

I should also like to inform you that many expats go out of the country to have their babies so you could consider that an option as well.

Sorry I couldn't be too helpful, but I do hope u can get some info. soon. :)

Not sure that would be allowed as when you would want to acquire the birth certificate of your child from the hospital, one of the documents they would need is the marriage cert. But I'm not 100% sure about this as the laws in Libya are strict for the matter.

Thank you for your info.  I know a lot of people (like the brits here) go back to UK to have their babies...but I know if I fell pregnant and wanted to stay here in dubai we would have to marry. I will do some more research.  THanks again.

I'm not in Libya yet and I don't really know the answer to your question but I have one of my own.  Is your BF Libyan or Muslim?  Not sure but I think sometimes laws might be more enforced if either of the above is true.

can you join your boyfriend in libya without being married? i know that when we were doing paperwork for moving here, one of the documents they wanted and had to be officially translated to arabic was our marriage cert.

bungaraya wrote:

can you join your boyfriend in libya without being married? i know that when we were doing paperwork for moving here, one of the documents they wanted and had to be officially translated to arabic was our marriage cert.

I think a marriage certificate is required for an accompanying visa/residence permit. If she's coming on a seperate business visa it'll probably not be required.

expatlibya wrote:

I think a marriage certificate is required for an accompanying visa/residence permit. If she's coming on a seperate business visa it'll probably not be required.

I think that's a good summary of it.

Thanks guys!  I have been informed that I don't need a marriage cert to come in to Libya as my visa will be a business one.  And does any one know how easy it is for a foreign woman (UK) to set up their own business over there?  I have had my own business in Dubai for 6 years...and required a business licence. Is it as simple as this, or are there other compliacations?

polstar wrote:

Thanks guys!  I have been informed that I don't need a marriage cert to come in to Libya as my visa will be a business one.  And does any one know how easy it is for a foreign woman (UK) to set up their own business over there?  I have had my own business in Dubai for 6 years...and required a business licence. Is it as simple as this, or are there other compliacations?

Don't you require a Libyan partner/agent ?

It sure as hell is complicated in Tripoli, I remember someone telling me that at first you need to get approvals from different ministries (mentioned something about a long queue as well), after that is approved you need to sub your documents over and that could take a while to review even after the review is done they could come up with the issue in the name of your business and say that's not allowed. Once the name of your business is passed they then say ''ohh, you know what..you need to have a partnership with a local business in order for you to start your business'' just lingers on but eventually all gets set, that's what I heard.

Sounds about as painful as Dubai then...haha!!!

polstar wrote:

Very complicated!!! As far as I know, either you have to have a Libyan partner and a certain amount of capital before you register, or you have to bring in a huge amount of capital. This is for registering a company. I don't know if it's different for sole proprietors.