Menu
Expat.com

How long will my work pass (EP, S-Pass, WP) application take

Last activity 17 October 2024 by Juniar Fajrien

Sapphire17

Hi it’s indicated in the email once it’s approve already. The status will be “Approval in-principle of payment of $30.”

Then will change to “approved” once payment is done.

forthebetter

Just wondering, I just got retrenched and my visa will be canceled at the end of this month; after that I'll stay in SG with short term visitor visa for a month — meanwhile I've been looking for new job though it's not successful yet but I’ll keep going; my question is will I be counted as 'existing foreigner with no current visa' or as ‘new applicant’ if I get applied for Visa under the timeframe of STVP?

Just to clarify what MoM said in their website to know my position: “Approvals for any new applications will be very limited. You may continue to apply passes for foreigners who are already in Singapore.” - so I can bring this up to consideration to companies I applied for.

Shinhan

Thanks for detail Sapphire!

Thuylive

Hi @beppi,

My IPA letter for the work pass will expire on May 31. Do you know whether the letter can be extended in case I cannot enter Singapore by then?

Thank you

beppi
Thuylive wrote:

My IPA letter for the work pass will expire on May 31. Do you know whether the letter can be extended in case I cannot enter Singapore by then?

Normally, your employer can extend IPA validity by one month - they can apply for it at MoM.
As far as I remember, MoM published on their webpage a few days ago that all existing IPAs will be automatically extended. But I cannot verify this, because MoM's web seems to be down right now.
The situation is very dynamic right now, so keep a look out for news or changes!

Kenchoi

Hi okay I applied for visa extension yesterday but got rejected today. I don’t know the reason maybe because I applied too early? Should be I week before? Btw can I know what you said your reason for your extension? I might apply again next time

Sapphire17

Hi Kenchoi, as far as i remember you cannot apply for an extension again online if once rejected. You can try walk-in with a local sponsor.

My reason before was my flight was cancelled because no more flights in and out of my country and it’s still lockdown. So i think it’s a valid reason so they approved.

Kenchoi

Oh okay. Thank you.

Thuylive

Thank you, @beppi,

I found this info on MOM's website about the IPAs expiring from March 21.

To help employers defer bringing foreigners into Singapore during this period, we will automatically extend all IPAs by 2 months. Thus, there is no need to request for an extension.

I've been reading the updates daily on CNA and MOM's website. Hopefully things will get better soon.

beppi

Thuylive: Yes, that is the MoM publication I was referring to - I just couldn't remember the exact extension length (and couldn't check, as the website was down at the time). So everyone with a valid IPA should probably postpone their travel plans by two months!

Thuylive

@beppi: I have no complaint to wait when knowing the situation will improve thanks to the strict restrictions. Now the hope is that my employer can hold the position until I can enter Singapore big_smile.png

Energy123
Sapphire17 wrote:

Hi guys, it’s Sapphire17 again, just want to share my timeline for my spass.

- Feb 5 Spass applied
- Feb 17 Rejected due to quota
- Feb 20 Spass applied for their sister company (same boss owner)
- March 26 Rejected again due to additional docs not approved by mom (small and new company, first spass, must tell why hire foreigner)
- March 31 Submitted appeal for sister company
- April 9 Appeal approved!

PS: My social pass is about to expire this April 15 but got extended by ica for 1 month May 15.

Waited 2 months for this. Good thing i have employer who’s willing to fight! smile.png
Guys, keep the faith!

Congratulations! That was a very rewarding experience!

anilchoudhary84

Hi friends need a suggestion, 
My EP got approved and I am having  IPA,
I have resigned in my current organization and was supposed to travel from Malaysia to Singapore on 24th April, due to lockdown  mom started special permission  , my employer applied for that but got rejected ,
Now my concerns are like :
I am jobless after 15th or April, my new employer  said they can't help for remote work because mom doesn't have any provisions before onboarding,  untill I enter Into Singapore,
Now cases as on 20-4-20 are 1150+ ,
I read at mom that IPA expiry for all got extended by 2 months ,
Is it ok to wait for Singapore  to open or shall I find other options or shall I request my current employer to take me back where I will have to sign a bond for one year,
I am getting  scared of being jobless ,
Can you guys advice me on this , if anyone else is facing the same ?
Thanks in advance

beppi

At the moment, nothing is sure and any course of action you take involves certain risks (which you seem to understand, so I willnot explain them further). In the end, you must decide for yourself - we cannot help there!

Thuylive

Hi @anilchoudhary84,

Myself and some other people I know are in the exact same situation. Hope you feel better when knowing that there are others having the same challenge you have. This is what I am doing, I hope it gives you a different possibility for your next steps.

I took a temporary job to maintain my income while waiting for Singapore to open its border. Last week I reached out to my prospective line manager (aka the hiring manager, not HR) asking her whether there's anything I could do now to prepare for the work instead of waiting passively. We came up with a list of learning goals. I also suggested to have a 1 on 1 meeting with her weekly to answer any of the questions I have along the way.

She was happy with my enthusiasm (Don't show that you're desperate). After the call she requested the HR team to find ways for me to work remotely if I can't enter Singapore in May. Now that I know it's not possible legally for one to start working before their entry to the country. But the good relationship with the manager does ease my overthinking that they will not keep the job for me.

Be calm, and show the employer that you're useful and willing to things even without being asked. It would bring the good results that you don't even think of. Also, with this situation, always prepare yourself a backup plan.

Good luck and keep us updated.

WoShiDavid95

EP applied on 10/04/2020
Rejected on 15/04/2020 because of COVID-19 concerns
HR appealed on the same day with proof I'm still in Singapore (LTVP)

Still awaiting further news

Soulsoy09

Hi all,

Just some advise and updates.

ICA extension can be applied even if rejected and it can be approved still. You can do it more than once. You have to apply online and give strong grounds as to why.

For pass applications will mostly be rejected, if in Singapore you can appeal. Then just need to wait for MOM.

Mjpsg

Did the appeal go through after proving that you are still in SG.

andybarr

having the same question too

Sapphire17

Hi woshidavid,
How’s your appeal? Is this your first job?

GuestPoster293

I'm on the same boat.
Work Pass cancelled on March 22nd.
MOM issued 30 day visa for me to stay to in SG.
Found a new job and they applied on 6th April.
Application rejected a week after, appealed in same day.
Went to MOM on last day of my visa stay for extension (no flights out due to lockdown).

Still waiting for appeal results now about 3 weeks already.

Fingers crossed.

Indestructible007

7th week since appeal now. But its still pending. Am in SG.

shanesl

I have applied for my EP on the 31st of March and on the 9th of April got Rejected because they thought I went to my mother country.I submitted an appeal same day. But still, I am in Singapore and took 3 weeks for the appeal.Still pending.I have extended my Social pass also.
According to the MOM "employes still in Singapore can apply".So is this clause valid for me?

andybarr

for S-Pass or E-pass? Not sure if they have the same time frame for appeal. Cause my employer applied for appeal, and still pending as of now (7 days working days currently) BTW I'm under S-pass. The reason for my rejection as stated: "YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT SUCCESSFUL. IF YOUR CANDIDATE IS CURRENTLY IN SINGAPORE, YOU MAY WISH TO SUBMIT AN APPEAL FOR OUR CONSIDERATION..." Well I guess, they though I was in my hometown.

I'll keep you posted for any updates smile.png

Stay safe smile.png

GuestPoster293

I spoke with a friend who works for an employment agency, MOM will most likely consider applications if the applicant is still in Singapore, if you left the country, chances are they will outrightly reject and any subsequent  appeal.

I just got an update from hr stating that MOM needs more time to review the application, so I guess it's still under consideration. Probably another 3 weeks.

I guess the most Basic requirement for now is to stay in Singapore.

shanesl

Hi

You mean all together are they taking 6 weeks.My only concern is my Social visit pass will expire on 7th of May. But if appeal taking time more than that will they reject again?.Or is there any way to send visa extension document after I extent my social visit pass?

shanesl

@WoShiDavid95 Do you have any update?

andybarr
Rainrunner wrote:

I spoke with a friend who works for an employment agency, MOM will most likely consider applications if the applicant is still in Singapore, if you left the country, chances are they will outrightly reject and any subsequent  appeal.

I just got an update from hr stating that MOM needs more time to review the application, so I guess it's still under consideration. Probably another 3 weeks.

I guess the most Basic requirement for now is to stay in Singapore.

Hi, are u under S-Pass or E-Pass? Is this your first time application?

andybarr
shanesl wrote:

Hi

You mean all together are they taking 6 weeks.My only concern is my Social visit pass will expire on 7th of May. But if appeal taking time more than that will they reject again?.Or is there any way to send visa extension document after I extent my social visit pass?

you may try online extension. smile.png

Sapphire17

You can try extending your visit pass twice, thrice. I know a lot got approved due to lockdown.

shanesl

When we extend social visit pass do I need to make a payment of 40 SGD?

andybarr
shanesl wrote:

When we extend social visit pass do I need to make a payment of 40 SGD?

1st online extension is SGD 30, second online extension is SGD 40. Some foreigners did not require them to pay, lol not sure why. But my side, I did pay. smile.png

GuestPoster293

Your current social pass is issued by which Ministry?

If you're a tourist and the svp was issued by ICA, you can do Xtend via online.

If you it was issued by MOM, go to MOM office in Potong Pasir.

WoShiDavid95
WoShiDavid95 wrote:

EP applied on 10/04/2020
Rejected on 15/04/2020 because of COVID-19 concerns
HR appealed on the same day with proof I'm still in Singapore (LTVP)

Still awaiting further news

Still processing as of today

Soulsoy09

Hi,

Update. Both my wife and son DP appeal is approved.

14/04  - rejected
15/04 - appealed and verified location
05/05 - Mom needs more time. Will update within 3 weeks
06/05 - appeal approved.

Just have to be patient and wait

anilchoudhary84

Congratulations,  are you already in sg or moving from outside ?

Soulsoy09

Hi,

Already in SG.

shanesl
Soulsoy09 wrote:

Hi,

Update. Both my wife and son DP appeal is approved.

14/04  - rejected
15/04 - appealed and verified location
05/05 - Mom needs more time. Will update within 3 weeks
06/05 - appeal approved.

Just have to be patient and wait

Hi Soulsoy09
Did you apply for the EP first time?
And also what is your sector?

Soulsoy09

Hi,

It is not EP. as written it is Dependent passes for my family.

andybarr

Anyone here have any updates? smile.png

S-Pass Applied: 20 April 2020
S-Pass Rejected and Appealed: 21 April 2020

Non-essential Sector.

Will keep everyone posted smile.png Stay Safe.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Relocating to Singapore
    Relocating to Singapore

Moving to a new geography is an exciting step – new home, new friends, new adventures, but leaving your ...

• Moving with your pet to Singapore
    Moving with your pet to Singapore

If you're moving to Singapore and don't want to leave your pet behind, you'll need to follow some ...

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles