Menu
Expat.com

How long will my work pass (EP, S-Pass, WP) application take

Last activity 17 October 2024 by Juniar Fajrien

bronze32

Did anyone apply for renewal recently? How has been the process so far? Also, how soon after renewal can we apply for a new EP with a different company?

quirkykiddo

My spass got rejected today.

Application date: 01.10.2020
Rejection: 21.01.2020

benoit_lh

Sorry for that. Can you tell us what is your :
> "Profile"?
> Sector and job position?

givi0831

Hi everyone, i want to share my timeline.

Type of Pass:  S pass
Sector: Construction

Timeline:
Date of Application: 10 Sept 2020
Date of Rejection: 23 Sept 2020
Date of Appeal: 23 Sept 2020
Date of Approval: 22 Oct 2020

For those waiting for the approval of their pass, just keep on praying and be patient. Remember if its meant for us it will be given to us.

AP2121

Hi all, just to share my experience

Type: new EP (currently outside SG)
Sector: Management/business consulting

Date of application: 17 Aug 2020

Right now my application is still under progress. But 1 month after the submission, I received an email from MoM that they would require additional 3 to 4 months to review my application. Hopefully I can get the results before the end of this year.

My employer also told me in the past 1 months, they have been contacted by MoM and asked regarding their recruitment policies & procedures.

I'm quite anxious since the only thing I can do is patiently wait. But i'm trying to take this as a positive sign because if my application was supposed to be rejected, the result should hv been out.

bronze32

Hi,
Appreciate your inputs on a case if an existing EP holder accepts a job offer and his EP is approved with the new company. Can he decide to stay with the existing company and refuse to join the new company after EP approval (i.e. before issuance) in case he changes his mind? What are the implications for the employee?

beppi

Bronze32: If you terminate the employment contract with the new employer properly and fulfill the notice period (or paythe fine in lieu), there is nothing wrong with it-at least from a formal standpoint.

indra.racy

Hi.. So, yours was S-PASS Renewal, right? May I know your Salary?
Would high salary be any problem?

indra.racy

Is it new application or renewal?

beppi

Indra.Racy: Which of the 1200 posts in this thread did you refer to?

indra.racy

Hi beppi,

I actually did reply to the actual post [#1189] (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 30#4954470), but, I don't understand that it is not linked to the same..

beppi
indra.racy wrote:

I actually did reply to the actual post [#1189] (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 30#4954470), but, I don't understand that it is not linked to the same..

If you are referring to a specific post, please use the "Quote" button - you will get something like the lines above - and not the "Reply" button.

indra.racy
Vinvini wrote:

Hi All,

Sharing my experience for all readers.

12 Aug - Applied for Renewal
30 Aug - Rejected

Seems an issue with agency

15 Sep - Applied with different agency ,new applications
6 Oct - Approved

Pass type S pass
Employer applied through different agency

Currently residing in Singapore

Conditions now have become very tight and many aspects are taken into consideration. This site is very helpful

Also upon observation trend of approval seems as below

Timeliness:

Salary above 10k - with 7 days

Other Salary - 7th , 14th , and 21st day.

All the best to all who are waiting.

Hi.. So, you had to apply for a new S-Pass? any idea, if the Salary just above 9k with S-Pass application works without any issue? Note: There is no chance of EP, due to other reasons.

Salle Victorine

Pls can you connect me to your line of work,I'm really trying hard to apply online but it failed. I'm happy for you. Pls reply me through ***. On email,or  ***.. on hangout. Thanks

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not share any private details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
MY92

the company may get investigated and punished. I experienced once. Now gave finding new job already. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

MY92

Gave up**

NewbieExpat000

Hi all, just to share my experience.

Type of Pass:  Employment pass
Sector: Construction

First Application (Outside Singapore)
Date of Application: 11th Aug 2020
Date of Rejection: 21st Aug 2020

Rejection Reason: Your application is not successful. If your candidate is currently in Singapore, you may wish to submit an appeal for our
consideration. Otherwise, you may wish to apply again when the additional safe distancing measures are lifted.

Company mentioned to appeal once in phase 3 or unless I am able to enter Singapore.

Oct 2020: Managed to enter Singapore using Visit Pass. Company chose to apply new application instead of appealing.

Second Application (In Singapore)
Date of Application: 26th Oct 2020
Date of Approval: 5th Nov 2020

For those waiting for the approval, just be patient and do not give up.

Celina18

Hi all, came here to see if there are any approvals being given amidst this environment and sharing my experience too.

SPass application submitted early this week
As of now, status is pending

Sector: IT

Made sure to emphasise in the application that I'm currently located in Singapore.
Hoping for positive outcome.

Celina18

Can you share how I can do the same to get the change alerts? Thank you.

anonymousDB

Hi, this thread has given me some needed mental support when I was waiting for my EP to be approved. Registered to this website just to give back to the community.

Sharing my experience here.
Type of Pass: EP
Sector: IT
Situation: I'm an Indonesian who has worked in Singapore for the past ~4 years under EP of my current company. Applying EP to move job to another company

20 Oct 2020: PENDING
21 Oct 2020: We need inputs from other agencies to process this application. In most instances, the outcome will be available in 4 weeks' time. Some cases may take longer.
6 Nov 2020: Approved

17 days in total, around 13 business days.

All the best for everybody else who's still waiting!

vikas_sinha75

Hi follow thread members,

It seems like there has been few updates in EP (and other pass) renewal process/rules.

1. Application need to reach MoM atleast 2 months before expiry.
2. If a person odd currently outside singapore and their pass is due for renewal, employer need to cancel the pass and re-apply when Covid situation stabilizes (or the candidate is back in SG)

Refer to https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi … new-a-pass

indra.racy

Hi all.. just to share my S-PASS renewal,

Applied on 30 Oct 2020
Status was showing Pending initially
Approved on 07 Nov 2020

I'm in Singapore only.

Awaiting for the IPA letter from the HR.

By the way, any chance like status check, can candidate get the IPA letter? Thanks.

shirokuma007

Hi all,

In a big pinch here, I'm a digital marketing with 3 years+ experience, currently holding a WP.

New company is applying an EP for me (and I resigned yes, biggest mistake, should've come across this earlier).

7/10/2020 New application
21/10/2020 Rejected, new company requested for my educational certificates and stuff
22/10/2020 Appealed
11/10/2020 Pending

I know it's early to be worrying but my company is terminating my WP very soon and I will be left with only 7 days after that.

Anyone has experience in extending Special Pass for WP? Or apply for a STVP?

Thanks.

Celina18
shirokuma007 wrote:

Hi all,

In a big pinch here, I'm a digital marketing with 3 years+ experience, currently holding a WP.

New company is applying an EP for me (and I resigned yes, biggest mistake, should've come across this earlier).

21/10/2020 Rejected, new company requested for my educational certificates and stuff
22/10/2020 Appealed
11/10/2020 Pending

I know it's early to be worrying but my company is terminating my WP very soon and I will be left with only 7 days after that.

Thanks.

Hi, in terms of stay in Singapore, you will get 1 month's automatic visit pass upon cancellation of WP by your current company, which should give sufficient time for your EP to be processed, assuming no major issues with your application. Hope it helps.

shirokuma007
Celina18 wrote:
shirokuma007 wrote:

Hi all,

22/10/2020 Appealed
11/10/2020 Pending

Thanks.

Hi, in terms of stay in Singapore, you will get 1 month's automatic visit pass upon cancellation of WP by your current company, which should give sufficient time for your EP to be processed, assuming no major issues with your application. Hope it helps.

I see, because I was notified that WP only gives 7 days Special Pass instead of 30 days STVP pass (MOM said 7, my company said 30, very confusing), so I'm not sure if I have enough time for that.

Wondering if there's anyone with experience on WP?

Chemsss

You can ask your previous employer if can extend for you.

shirokuma007
Chemsss wrote:

You can ask your previous employer if can extend for you.

I actually did but they were reluctant because they said they never done it before, my HR said she will look it up so I hope they can help me to extend.

Chemsss

They will be able to do that using their singpass

shirokuma007
Chemsss wrote:

They will be able to do that using their singpass

Yeah but my HR told me she needs to confirm that applying the extension doesn’t make them responsible for my being during the period. Anyway I’m heading down to MOM this Friday to ask about this so I have solid reasons to ask them for the extension.

7 days is too short. Just hoping that my EP approves soon

Chemsss

Actually, what I recently heard. They are not allowing anyone to do advance extension. You need to come down there on your last day in Singapore. And will have automatic extension.

shirokuma007
Chemsss wrote:

Actually, what I recently heard. They are not allowing anyone to do advance extension. You need to come down there on your last day in Singapore. And will have automatic extension.

Same here I heard the same thing smile.png but apparently they don’t allow Malaysians to do extension since September so I’m not sure, I’m just heading down to ask MOM if there’s other options and also to ask about my application.
Since it has hit the 3 week mark, and if I still didn’t hear from them maybe I should head down personally to see if there’s anything stopping them from proceeding the application.

shirokuma007

Just to update:

22/10/2020 Appealed
11/11/2020 Rejected because MOM rejected the fact that 14 days of job posting on Jobsbank is not sufficient and should apply again after 28 days of job posting.

I have to leave Singapore by 23rd of November so my employer decided to apply a WP for me and then reapply EP for me when I join later on, since WP will take only 1 week so fingers cross that it got approved before that.

My company has been posting the job ad on jobsbank for the second round, so the 28 days will be around 20/11/2020. Once I join the company my employer will upgrade my pass to EP.

For now I'm just waiting for WP to get approved. Fingers cross and hope this helps.

Celina18

Just wanted to contribute based on my observations on the forum (admittedly, the sample size is small) but here goes:

I see a pattern here for SPass applications.
Around 10/11 working days mark from your submission of application, application seems to be rejected for most, citing the following reason:
"Rejection Reason: Your application is not successful. If your candidate is currently in Singapore, you may wish to submit an appeal for our consideration. Otherwise, you may wish to apply again when the additional safe distancing measures are lifted."

My inference from this that firstly, if there was no substantiation made in your application on proof that you are currently located in Singapore, you will most likely get this rejection.
Secondly, this also means that for most applications, they will assess and provide a response around 10/11 working days.
So if you are located within Singapore, be sure to mention it.**

But the question is as there is no dedicated space to actually provide this info in the application, where and how to make the MOM aware?
The way to do it is through the provision of scan of passport. In addition to your passport identity page, include a scan of the page with arrival stamp into SG, as well as, your white card/ disembarkation card as proof that you are indeed in Singapore and avoid facing this rejection stage and having to reappeal.

Such a simple step but I think it makes a whole lot of difference during this time when being present in SG is critical for consideration.
Speaking from experience because this worked for me. Received approval on 10th working day mark from application submission. Best of luck to all in these trying times and thank you to those who shared their success stories. They gave me much comfort in the long wait. smile.png

poly123

Dear Expats,

Hope you all are doing well.

I am here to get some advice or overview of the current situation in Singapore for Expats holding EP and approaching to renew or renewed recently.

I am working as IT Infra engineer and holding EP in Singapore which going to expire 16 May 2021 and from 1st May new rule is going to take effect minimum salary 4500 for EP and according SAT result my EP Renewal is showing not eligible for EP and Eligible for S-PASS.

My current salary is 6000 SGD and eligibility for EP is 6800 SGD as per new rule and SAT

I am working under agency payroll and I have singed 3 year contract 2020 to 2023 to support the customer but visa will be renewing every year based on MoM approval.

My question are:

1. Will get EP approval based on current salary?
2. MoM will accept the contract signed to support customer and consider for S-PASS if not eligible for EP?
3. Any special consideration EP renewal for existing project or contracts signed with customer?

Recently my collogues from the same agency working with me got renewed and those were expiring before 1 may 2020 (which is before the new rule of EP 4500) but for me new rule will take effect as my EP is expiring on 16th May.

Thanks in advance, Stay safe..

vpulumat

Hi Guys ... My EP is rejected and new employer has submitted the appeal but after 20 days of appealing, they got an email from MOM that they need another three weeks' time to review and make the decision.

anyone had similar experiences .... is this a good sign or a bad sign?

Celina18
poly123 wrote:

Dear Expats,

Hope you all are doing well.

I am here to get some advice or overview of the current situation in Singapore for Expats holding EP and approaching to renew or renewed recently.

I am working as IT Infra engineer and holding EP in Singapore which going to expire 16 May 2021 and from 1st May new rule is going to take effect minimum salary 4500 for EP and according SAT result my EP Renewal is showing not eligible for EP and Eligible for S-PASS.

My current salary is 6000 SGD and eligibility for EP is 6800 SGD as per new rule and SAT

I am working under agency payroll and I have singed 3 year contract 2020 to 2023 to support the customer but visa will be renewing every year based on MoM approval.

My question are:

1. Will get EP approval based on current salary?
2. MoM will accept the contract signed to support customer and consider for S-PASS if not eligible for EP?
3. Any special consideration EP renewal for existing project or contracts signed with customer?

Recently my collogues from the same agency working with me got renewed and those were expiring before 1 may 2020 (which is before the new rule of EP 4500) but for me new rule will take effect as my EP is expiring on 16th May.

Thanks in advance, Stay safe..

Hey poly123,
When the tightened requirements are announced, I imagined that many of the professionals who will need to renew their passes are bound to face this issue.

For those holding EP like yourself and don’t meet salary criteria based on recently imposed requirements, SPass would be the alternative as you can already find out from the Assessment tool that with the same salary, you are no longer eligible.

Your colleagues who managed to renew just in time before the tighter requirements are in place are the lucky lot, who may have managed to get 2 or 3 years valid stay. However, if the same tight restrictions apply 2 or 3 years later, they too will be facing the same dilemma unless their salary package increase drastically by then. But I digress. To answer your questions

1)If you are not eligible on the assessment tool, according to the MOM website, approval is unlikely (Sorry about that)
2) Consideration of SPass by MOM is contingent on whether your employer company has an available SPass quota - note that depending on the industry, the quota varies. Typically, cap is 10% of local workforce (citizens and PRs), meaning if there are 100 local employees, the company has a 10 person headcount quota for SPass. However, you will only have the relevant info from your company directly.
So you should approach your company’s HR to find out:
1. Whether they have an available quota for you (given the current climate, this is a big decision because very soon, there will be many professionals holding EP who might be in a similar situation and have to turn to SP, so it could actually be a good thing to be one of the first ones to face this and hopefully, secure the spot in the available quota as first in line)
2. Unlike EP, your company needs to pay SPass levy fees, so it could potentially affect your salary (or not). Just something to keep in mind.

3) going back to your question, not quite clear what you mean to say here.
But my take is that the Assessment tool is the first layer of filtering out applications. So if salary is not eligible, I think it’s a hard No there.
The other documentation of current work engagements, in my opinion would align with company’s need to have you here. So if your company needs you and have SPass quota, they will go ahead and apply SPass for you.
If there is any issue at all with the application, you could use these as supporting documents to make a case that you are needed in the company and I’m sure that will put up a strong persuasion. (But I don’t imagine it’d be necessary since you are renewing your pass, it’s a given that you have ongoing work at your current company)

Also, FYI, when your company submits application, they can opt for consideration for both EP and SPass. So if you still want to give it a try, I think you could by all means, but I’m not sure if this will add on any delays to processing time.

Please take my words with a pinch of salt bcos I don’t represent MOM, merely sharing my 2 cents

beppi

Celina18: Excellent reply above! I agree to everything you wrote: Poly123 would only get an EP renewal if he fulfills the requirements (incl. salary) at the time of renewal. But he can be considered for S-Pass instead.

Vpulumat: MoM saying they need more time is neither a good nor a bad sign. It just tells you the decision is not yet made.

spr07
spr07 wrote:

EP renewal rejected after 2 months of waiting, employer is going to appeal today. I got very strange rejection reason.

13/08/2020 - EP Renewal applied Pending status from day 1
05/09/2020 - MoM asked for renewed contract and job description
09/09/2020 - Additional documents submitted
07/10/2020 - Submitted for 1 month STVP and temp extension as existing EP expiring on 13/10
08/10/2020 - 1 month STVP with work pass temp extension approved till 12/11
09/10/2020 - Rejected. Reason: Client Company should apply for EP as employee working for Client Company. I work for Client A under Agency A payroll, Agency A applied for my renewal.

Looks like I'm the lucky pick, I'm already on 1 month STVP with EP temporary extension.

My EP renewal approved today, overall timelines below.

12/10 - Appealed with supporting documents to show the contract between Client Company and Agency
05/11 - 2nd STVP extension applied
09/11 - 2nd STVP extension approved, but not received any confirmation to Employer, so called MoM and confirmed
13/11 - I called MoM and confirmed that there is no limit on number of STVP extensions as long as renewal application is pending for approval and employer can appeal rejections with valid reason
17/11 - I called IRAS to check about my 2020 assessment, requested them to expedite since I have't received assessment
19/11 - I called MoM to enquire about PEP
20/11 - Received income tax assessment for 2020, and EP also approved

I'm not sure if we can link Income Tax assessment and EP renewal approval, it can be a coincidence

poly123

Thanks for all information @Celina18 & Beppi....

no_1

Hey friends,

Applied for new EP before 1 month (job change), currently in Singapore on EP. MOM is asking for doc verification from dataflow. Can anyone help with below query?

Can dataflow complete the verification in < (less than) 15-20 days ?''

Anyone wants to share their experience with dataflow please share.

Thanks in advance.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Relocating to Singapore
    Relocating to Singapore

Moving to a new geography is an exciting step – new home, new friends, new adventures, but leaving your ...

• Moving with your pet to Singapore
    Moving with your pet to Singapore

If you're moving to Singapore and don't want to leave your pet behind, you'll need to follow some ...

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles